Announcement

•  » Your Piwigo
  •  » Migration from locally stored images

#1 2014-06-29 20:36:17

Irmage
2014-06-29

Migration from locally stored images

Hello Piwigo team

thank you very much for this great software!
Until now, my family and I collected all our photos on different computers and harddrives. We completely lost an overview what pictures we store in which location.
I am sure, Piwigo will help us to gain access to our photographs again.

So there is the plan of my initial project:

current situation

0. I have installed Piwigo 2.6.3 on a local Server (Ubuntu 12.04) and it works perfectly with no problems :-)

1. I plan to transfer all our family photograph to Piwigo and we will use Piwigo as our central location to store new pictures in future.

Transfer:

2. It is not worth to transfer ALL images from our local PCs to Piwigo, so everybody will have to preselect his/her own image folders. We will use Shotwell (Ubuntu) for this job to mark an tag images.

3. I have prepared a list of ~60 tag categories so everybody should tag the marked images.

4. If this is done, we could upload all the images to Piwigo, BUT then we will have plenty of double images with different names :-/. As I could not find a way to detect duplicate images in Piwigo, I will use Fslint in a previous step.

5. So before we upload the images from our different computers I will collect them all(!) on a local harddisk and I will run Fslint to get rid of double images.
If anyone here has a better idea to avoid double images in Piwigo, please let me know.

6. I expect, we will end up with ~5000 images which I will upload to Piwigo finally.

7. Some images will then receive a geo tag (openstreetmap plugin) which is a great enhancement of Piwigo.

Remark/Question:
1. I consider, we (our family) will use "albums" mainly (only?) to manage access rights to our images. E. g. Family (all), Husband, Wife, Son, Daughter.
I think it is better not to categorize images in albums but to use tags instead - right?

2. Is there another useful way to avoid or eliminate duplicate images in Piwigo?

Please comment or correct my strategy

Thanks and kind regards

Irmage

-------------------------
Piwigo 2.6.3
PHP: 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.12
MySQL: 5.5.37-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
External ImageMagick 6.6.9-7

#2 2014-06-29 20:59:40

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Migration from locally stored images

Hello
I would rsync all the pictures to at least one location, then upload them all to piwigo, then people will tag them browsing  by date, with calendar for instance, with your tags added to Piwigo. Then people add new ones with Shotwell and maybe the plugin can get back /download them... In the Piwigo Lightroom extension, it can scan the local photos to recognise if they are on Piwigo.

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2014-06-29 21:01:21

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Migration from locally stored images

For my family gallery I did an album tree like year/eventorMisc and many tags

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

•  » Your Piwigo
  •  » Migration from locally stored images

Board footer