Announcement

#1 2010-12-22 18:12:35

blueharmony
Seattle, WA
2010-12-22

Migrate/import from gallery3

Hi,

Is there a way to migrate from my Gallery3 installation to Piwigo?

-Marc

#2 2010-12-22 21:19:30

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Migrate/import from gallery3

Hi blueharmony and welcome to Piwigo forums,

As far as I know, users switching from Menalto to Piwigo did not use any automatic conversion tool. Most of the time, they restarted their gallery from scratch. If your lucky enough and have your title/description/tags written in the photo with IPTC metadata, then you can just use the synchronization feature and get everything back in Piwigo.

Having a conversion tool from Menalto Gallery to Piwigo would be useful since we see more and more users coming from Menalto Gallery. If you plan to create such a tool, let us know and we will help as much as possible.

#3 2010-12-29 02:18:17

geewee
2010-12-25

Wow! I just came across this after I had started a thread myself: [Forum, topic 16866] How to convert metadata to titles

I did not succeed with the information provided there so far, so can you please post the procedure for using synchronization to populate title, description, tags and maybe even categories?

#4 2012-12-22 08:34:16

CaptainStarbuck
2012-12-22

Necromancing an old thread here just to add a "me too". I am looking for a replacement for Gallery3 and it would be ideal to be able to import the image files and metadata from the G3 database.

#5 2014-10-25 15:05:56

Tim Chuma

I would also be interested in such a feature if it existed as I have 26,867 photos across 512 galleries and would be loath to migrate so many manually.

Also all the URLs would break as I already had the base "photos" directory on my site as a sub domain and the gallery3 directory as a sub directory of that.

If there is not an easy way to do this I will continue to use the gallery3 software for the near future.

I did use the Web Album Generator software for nine years, but while it is easy to create galleries, maintaining them is a pain.

#6 2014-10-25 15:08:39

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

hello

If you look 5 topics bellow you will see a reference to [extension by plg] Menalto2Piwigo

it can do nothing for broken links after migration though

#7 2014-10-25 17:46:30

Ken Ennion

To the best of my knowledge Gallery 2 is a very different animal to Gallery 3 and I would assume the Menalto2Piwigo plug in would not work with gallery 3. Am I right I wonder?
Ken

#8 2014-10-25 19:21:22

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Look at revision 2.6.c description
it works for both

ps: if it has to work with only one version, it would be explicitely written

#9 2014-10-30 21:26:40

Ken Ennion

I missed that. Thanks a lot,
Ken

#10 2014-11-18 01:25:21

Mark Hinch

First, THANKS for the menalto2piwigo plugin. We need a mechanism to move out of gallery.

However, I seem to be having a problem. To set the stage:
- linux
- php5
- gallery3

I copied from gallery3/albums to piwigo/galleries.
   - no problems
Ran Synchronize
   - some errors, apparently due to parenthesis, commas, ...  -- I'll fix those later
   - vast majority of albums seemed to import
Ran menalto2piwigo
   - received several Warning and Notice messages (no errors):
            Notice: Undefined variable: cover_id in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 439
            Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 439
            Notice: Undefined variable: image_updates in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 557
            Notice: Undefined variable: cat_updates in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 566
            Notice: Undefined variable: album_thumbs in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 575
            Notice: Undefined variable: comment_inserts in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 579
            Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 579
            Notice: Undefined variable: comment_inserts in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 581
            Notice: Undefined variable: image_tag_inserts in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 619
            Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 619
            Notice: Undefined variable: image_tag_inserts in /usr/local/piwigo/piwigo/plugins/menalto2piwigo/admin.php on line 621

- then I got the big green check mark and "Information data registered in database"
   - BTW - this command ran very fast. A couple seconds at most.
Returned to gallery
   - appropriate albums (directories) are present but no pictures are visible
Return to Admin->Batch Manager
   - did not take any action in Batch Manager -- just looking at page
   - batch manager says "No photo in the current set."
Went to phpMyadmin and looked at piwigo tables in MySQL
   - piwigo_images - 0 rows
   - piwigo_image_category - 16996 rows (approx equal to number of pictures that should have imported)
   - piwigo_tags - 6672 rows (perhaps equial to Gallery3 tags -- not sure of count)
   - other tables are zero or small numbers

It seems like stuff did not get fully imported. Thoughts? Next steps?

#11 2014-11-18 04:55:33

SnotRocket
2014-08-15

Bail on your G3 import..

Ultimately, that's what I had to do...

I spent days and days trying to fix all my spaces, punctuation marks, brackets, etc...  Then I had to go back and work on EXIF info since things (still) don't sort properly.

It was just faster and easier to drop to a shell and rename all my spaces to underscores and run the sync folder utility.

Once the initial album set was done, I then went back and generated all thumbs and versions of the images...

You'll also want to add this line (one line, no word wrap) to your local config:

$conf['sync_chars_regex'] = '/^[[:alpha:][:digit:]-_.\sÀÁÂÃÄÅàáâãäåÒÓÔÕÖØòóôõöøÈÉÊËèéêëÇçÌÍÎÏìíîïÙÚÛÜùúûüÿÑñ!\(\)\&\/\°\'\,\[\]]+$/';

I lost all of my view counts.. and that sucked... but ultimately I had no real choice given the amount of time that I wanted to spend dealing with it... and to me, although the view counts were cool... they meant nothing to me.  The missing EXIF/date info was more important for me to fix.

Last edited by SnotRocket (2014-11-18 05:09:10)

#12 2016-12-22 02:47:13

Speedyk

I just tried this today. The G3 import script does work, but it found 300 spam comments (that didn't show up in the G3 GUI anywhere) and added them to various photos. The Piwigo GUI does not allow mass editing, only 10 hand-checked boxes at a time to delete, so PHP MyAdmin is the answer there. I would have blown them all away but some were identifying family members in old photos.

Still mysteries, like why I need to have the same public name as login name; this is the Wordpress mindset, which roughly goes just use a good password. But in the next breath enable two-factor, when we just gave half the login away. I can get around that in WP, how do I do it in Piwigo? Reading the logs in my 10-year old WP install, I see many tries and no one has guessed my login yet, much less the password. What is so hard to understand about this? And now I've hidden the login, so scripts just bounce where there is no door. Don't play fair and there is no game.

Meanwhile I copied the var/albums to Zenphoto's /albums folder and it immediately sorted them nd displayed them perfectly, although without comments of course. If you only want the photos this is fastest and easiest.

And why is Piwigo so comparatively glacial? I'm trying them both side by side, their own databases on the same server.

Not hating, just noticing and wondering. Still installed. Appreciate the effort to make the importer, for one.

Board footer