Announcement

•  » Beta testing
  •  » Piwigo for iOS, version 2.0. Main Screen (Albums)

#1 2015-03-28 20:02:04

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Piwigo for iOS, version 2.0. Main Screen (Albums)

Whenever I start Piwigo 20., a message flashes by, saying something like "there appears to be no albums in your Piwigo..." and then they appear after a second.  (I can reproduce this by closing the App fully).

I am not very happy with the Main Screen (the first one showing Albums).  This also applies to sub-albums.

1)  The counts "n photos, m photos in sub-albums" is not very helpful.
Could you add n+m and just say n+m photos?

2) What is the Date that appears by an Album?  It only does so if the album itself contains photos but I find it distracting at the album level.

3) I don't like the Album "Thumbnails".  Often all I can see is a person's tummy button ;)
I think I prefer full height to partial width as at present.
What do people think?
I have compared with the Smartpocket Mobile Theme.
I am sure this is open to discussion...

Tadjio

#2 2015-03-28 20:16:22

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

Re: Piwigo for iOS, version 2.0. Main Screen (Albums)

Hi Tadjio,

The message of "no albums" is the default background for that view. If there's nothing there, then that shows. It shows it on first load because it's downloading the album information from your server, then it displays it.
- It could be changed to show "loading..." and then if nothing loads it displays the "empty" message. What do you think?

1) It can just be "X Images" instead of "X images Y in sub-albums" -- What do other people think?

2) The date that is shown is the most recent date of an image in that album.

3) Album display: I'm no artist, just a programmer. :) If people have suggestions to make it better, I'm totally open! -- Just let me know what it should look like.

Thanks for the feedback! I just want to make the app a best fit for the community. I hope others will comment to help because I'm fairly new to Piwigo.

#3 2015-03-28 20:32:12

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Glad to help.  It's Saturday night here so I'll look at your response later!

Tadjio

#4 2015-03-29 20:10:55

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

I have been studying the Piwigo 2.0 list of albums and comparing with that on Smartpocket and other Themes such as Stripped and Elegant.

I suddenly discovered a 'hidden feature'. If you press on an album thumbnail, the bottom half appears without the black background and with the Album Title fainter.

This confirmed for me that we are losing half the image in the album view, which is a pity.

I suggest we have the album thumbnails "half width" with the Album Title and possibly the Description to the right of it.

The other advantage of this approach is that we would get more albums per screen.
(At the moment I only get 2.5 on my iPhone 6).

Attached are a pair of sample screens.  Note that the walkers reflection and half the cat are lost!

Last edited by Tadjio (2015-03-29 20:13:48)

Tadjio

#5 2015-03-30 03:58:49

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

Hey,

How did you get it so the transparent view went away (the black bar)? When I tap and hold on a "cell"/ thumbnail, it just turns it white (see attached image). Could you go through again how you got that? It's a good bug!

New album layout:
If I understand you correctly, you would have the left side of the "cell" be the album image, and the right side be the album details (name, image count...)?

How many albums would you like to be displayed on one screen of on your iPhone 6? (right now there's 3 if you have your zoom set to normal on a 6, look at my screenshot)

I think I'll start a new thread about the album cell layout.

#6 2015-03-30 19:48:58

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Hoser wrote:

How did you get it so the transparent view went away (the black bar)? When I tap and hold on a "cell"/ thumbnail, it just turns it white (see attached image). Could you go through again how you got that? It's a good bug!

Press and hold the album thumbnail.

Hoser wrote:

New album layout:
If I understand you correctly, you would have the left side of the "cell" be the album image, and the right side be the album details (name, image count...)?

Yes.  Possibly the album description as well.

Hoser wrote:

How many albums would you like to be displayed on one screen of on your iPhone 6? (right now there's 3 if you have your zoom set to normal on a 6, look at my screenshot)
I think I'll start a new thread about the album cell layout.

I get nearly 3.
I think it is a question of placing an album thumbnail in the left-hand half of a cell and see how many fit o a screen!
To me it is important to get the full height of the thumbnail, even if it is chopped off left and right as for a square thumbnail.

Tadjio

#7 2015-03-30 19:52:01

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

I don't like the orange block at the bottom of the albums screens.
Not just the colour (!) but the fact it takes up too much real estate.

Tadjio

#8 2015-04-16 00:21:59

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Tadjio wrote:

Whenever I start Piwigo 20., a message flashes by, saying something like "there appears to be no albums in your Piwigo..." and then they appear after a second.  (I can reproduce this by closing the App fully)...

Please can you change this to "loading..." or something else innocuous?

Tadjio

#9 2015-04-16 00:46:52

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Please can you give some serious consideration to the other issues I raise here?
Thanks.

Tadjio

#10 2015-04-16 08:00:06

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

Tadjio wrote:

The color scheme of the app isn't going to change unless Piwigo decides to change it.

Tadjio wrote:

I'm not thinking from moving away from a tab bar.

Tadjio wrote:

Could you add n+m and just say n+m photos?

I had it only displaying X photos, but I changed it to N photos, M photos in sub-albums to match the web.

Tadjio wrote:

I suggest we have the album thumbnails "half width" with the Album Title and possibly the Description to the right of it.

Others have said the same thing and I'm willing to redesign it, though I'd rather get the app out first and get a little more basic functionality in first before this happens. ([Github] Piwigo-Mobile issue #80)

Tadjio wrote:

Please can you change this to "loading..." or something else innocuous?

Yeah, we can do this. I'll add an issue. ([Github] Piwigo-Mobile issue #79)

Did I miss any other issues that you listed?

#11 2015-04-16 19:59:03

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Hoser wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

The color scheme of the app isn't going to change unless Piwigo decides to change it.

I am not talking about removing the orange totally!
On a desktop, there is a very minimal amount of orange usually just the Piwigo logo.
This is not the whole "color scheme".
On the iPhone, the Smartpocket theme has no orange.  Have you reviewed that recently?
For your new app, there is far too much orange in proportion to the main content, which distracts from the album thumbnails and photo thumbnails.
I am sorry to be blunt but I really dislike that orange color tab and find it ugly, distracting from what is otherwise an attractive display!

Tadjio

#12 2015-04-16 20:05:39

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Hoser wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

I'm not thinking from moving away from a tab bar.

I'm not suggesting removing the tab bar, just reducing it in height slightly.

Tadjio

#13 2015-04-16 20:11:42

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Hoser wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

Others have said the same thing and I'm willing to redesign it, though I'd rather get the app out first and get a little more basic functionality in first before this happens.

Can I suggest you compare the Smartpocket Mobile Theme layout for Album Thumbnails?
I believe this is a good starting point.
(We need to consider the Photo Thumbnails layout and the detail Photo Display as separate issues).

I strongly believe that first impressions are important and the first impression of Album Thumbnails is poor!

Tadjio

#14 2015-04-16 21:59:59

Olaf
Italy
2015-03-28

Tadjio wrote:

I'm not suggesting removing the tab bar, just reducing it in height slightly.

Ah, well, see... a TabBar in iOS is a fixed design element and has a fixed height. The height cannot be reduced.

Only way that bar can reduce in height would be to use a different design element. Using a different design element would require a major change in the way the screens are placed onto the screen. And changing that mechanism would result into a huge work.

Right now the aim is to sort out bugs and to get the app ready for release.

Please keep your feedback coming. Every post is read and every suggestion is valued. Please also consider that not everything can be implemented now and that some suggestions might sound simple but do require a lot of work. :)

•  » Beta testing
  •  » Piwigo for iOS, version 2.0. Main Screen (Albums)

Board footer