Announcement

#1 2015-09-11 12:54:33

georgeT
2012-03-18

Size of Pictures

Hi,
I use Piwigo successfully for a few years now. I was always the "worker" adding pictures, never the "User".
I know the pictures from my own albums.

The last few days, I decide to have a look and get a first hand experience of what the users of my Website see.

I must admit I was surprised.
Pictures I download are relative large and up to 5Mb in size.
My computer is 24 inch Mac, so a relative large screen.

I checked a few albums, On screen the pictures appear in a frame of approximately 3 cm x 3.5 cm.
When I click a frame, the now larger picture appears in a new frame that appears to be 11cm x 16 cm high.

The first frames, 3 x 3.5 cm, appear to be too small, almost a dot on my screen. I am not quite sure if this is my fault, If I forgot to do something in the settings, or it is just standard, One size fits all.

In my case, pictures in albums represent minor variations in colour, shape or size, the presence of dots or lines, etc on flowers.  A larger size, lets say 6 x 7cm,  will be much better. Visitors will be able to see differences and at the same time. up to approximately 8 pictures can easily fit in a line. If they wish to see more details, than they can click to see the enlarged photos. The frames of the larger pictures, which appear individually, could also increase to 16 x 24 cm or about 50-60 % of the screen size.

Is there an option that gives me the opportunity to determine the size?
I think as far as the presentation of the pictures is concerned there is room for improvement. I will talk to a few users to see what they think.

regards

(Here your message)

Piwigo version:
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: http://

#2 2015-09-11 13:07:07

georgeT
2012-03-18

Re: Size of Pictures

I just checked Piwigo in my Mobile phone.
I have a LUMNIA 640XL 5.7 inch screen, running windows 8.1.

I can only say everything is perfect.
The pictures are shown substantially better, full screen size, in my Mobile phone. It is also much easier to handle the pictures in my Mobile phone, I can move from picture to picture, etc. much faster and I can also enlarge the pictures, something I can't do in my Computer.
I am surprised.

#3 2015-12-23 07:36:00

sridharb
2015-03-07

Are you accessing piwigo through a browser on your mobile phone? Or through an app?

#4 2015-12-23 08:06:29

georgeT
2012-03-18

The presentation of the pictures is a huge problem.

It appears, mobile phones and touch screen Pads and notbooks, when using a browser (I do not know of any Apps), some 60% of the photos appear OK.

I say OK because you can not only view them Full Screen but also you can enlarge the photos using your "fingers". When a picture is enlarged, it must be reduced to it's original size in order to move to the next.

I said 60% because 40% of the pictures can not be enlarged.

#5 2015-12-23 15:45:04

sridharb
2015-03-07

Yes, this seems like a big problem. Ideally, a lower-resolution image, not the thumbnail, would be sent to the mobile device as the default (unless the user asks for the original size) so that the mobile doesn't have to struggle with downloading large images to memory and displaying them.

Ideally, it would be twice the resolution of the mobile screen - something that would still be zoomable without too much interpolation but will display nicely full screen.

Do you think that the original size images are shown in the mobile?

BTW, the forum thinks the phrase "c e l l p h o n e" is spam?

Last edited by sridharb (2015-12-23 15:46:42)

#6 2015-12-23 22:13:32

georgeT
2012-03-18

"Lower Resolution" does not apply to me.  I take the pictures myself and rarely download a picture less than 1Mb. Most of my pictures are 1.2 - 5 Mb.

My Mobile phone and my Notebook run Windows 10 and my large computer is APPLE. In my mobile phone the picture size adjust itself to cover the full screen, that makes the presentation superior to the other two.

In my APPLE computer, which is substantially superior when it comes to graphics, the presentation is the worse.

I did not know all these things when I started, a "visitor" mentioned that to me.

Board footer