Announcement

#1 2016-05-18 00:18:47

Jan Becket
2015-01-17

Hacked - cannot access restored databases / locked out

Hello,

My site was hacked yesterday by a guy named Ahmed with a .tu address (not kidding). All databases and my mail was wiped out after he changed my access password. What a jerk.

The site is being hosted by Arvixe. I restored all the databases from a point a week ago, and now have access to the primary piwigo database at www.janbecket.net. Seems to be good to go.

However, I am locked out of the piwigo databases on my two sub-domains, listed at the end of this post. I get a 1044 error, which I understand means that I am no longer recognized by my database as a user. Here is the full error message:

"[mysql error 1044] Access denied for user 'janbeck_piwig15'@'localhost' to database 'janbeck_piwig15'
Connection to server succeed, but it was impossible to connect to database

"#1    my_error /home/janbeck/public_html/abookofstones.com/piwigo/include/common.inc.php(121)
"#2    include_once /home/janbeck/public_html/abookofstones.com/piwigo/identification.php(26)"

I got access to my main Piwigo MySql database by using a tool on the Arvixe C-Panel window to re-define myself as a privileged user of that database, if that makes any sense. (I also used it to give myself access again to my Wordpress MySql database on the same site.) HOWEVER, the two piwigo databases do not appear in my C-Panel list of MySql databases and therefore the same fix does not work. I do not have a way to define myself again as a privileged user. All the files are there - I just cannot access them, and nobody else can either.

I have been in contact 3X with the Arvixe support chat folks, but this appears to be beyond their pay grade. Or perhaps they regard it as a software / piwigo issue, not a hosting issue. This is certainly way beyond my own pay grade.

I originally installed Piwigo into those two sub-domains with the Softalicious app installer (one option on the Arrvixe site). Does anyone know what would happen if I re-install Piwigo? Would all my data be erased? I also lost access to a Wordpress MySql database on another sub-domain, by the way. Same problem.

Thanks!
- Jan B
Honolulu

Piwigo version: 2.8.0
PHP version: 5.4.45
MySQL version: 5.5.44-37.3
Piwigo URL: http://janbecket.net, abookofstones.com, thebookofparis.com

#2 2016-05-18 05:24:52

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Re: Hacked - cannot access restored databases / locked out

Hi :-)

Have you update file config/local/database.inc.php with new password ?

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#3 2016-05-18 07:16:37

Jan Becket
2015-01-17

Thanks for the suggestion! I do not know enough to do what you suggest, however. Could you explain how to update a password in my situation? I cannot open those two Piwigo installations to modify any setting from within Piwigo.

My home directory on my Arvixe hosting site contains three separate Piwigo installations because I use it for the root site (www.janbecket.net) and also for each of the sub-domains I created (www.abookofstones.com and www.thebookofparis.com). However, the C-Panel window at the Arivxe site only lists the two MySql databases on my root site (Piwigo and Wordpress), not the additional three MySql databases on my sub-domains. Arvixe calls these "add-on" domains. (I get to add five add-on domains for no extra charge).

My ignorance is a liability here. In reality, do I have only two MySql databases (Piwigo and Wordpress) or do I have five? I am wondering if the Piwigo installations in my add-on domain folders do not actually create a separate MySql database.

#4 2016-05-18 07:44:01

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

We can't help you more than telling you that the file pointed out by ddtddt is the one containing mysql credentials and table prefix for Piwigo. WordPress too has one config file like that. Check them

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2016-05-18 07:45:25

Jan Becket
2015-01-17

ddtddt wrote:

Hi :-)
Have you update file config/local/database.inc.php with new password ?

I located the local/config/database.inc.php file but the passwords in the two inaccessible databases are just random characters. What would I put in to update the password?

Board footer