Announcement

#1 2016-10-21 16:11:38

kalel
www.photofree.ga
2015-09-23

Database size

Hi there,

I'm just wondering, how large does your database get with Piwigo?

I might have had a problem with my website, but the database grew to over 1 GB in size (looking at the backup file of the full database - .sql file size). This happened after quite a while, a year or more of use. While it may have been some kind of leak (I'm not sure what all gets written to the database), I'm just curious about the experience of others, when it comes to database size. Content wise, I've had about 500 MB of files (including images), but the database was larger than that for some reason.

Thanks.

Last edited by kalel (2016-10-21 16:19:37)

#2 2016-10-22 01:33:39

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

Re: Database size

Disable history, purge user cache, and purge user sessions periodically.

My DB is 200 kB compressed, for a small installation with 4000 images and some videos at 1 GB.

Last edited by Zentalquabula (2016-10-22 01:38:39)

#3 2016-10-22 10:00:18

kalel
www.photofree.ga
2015-09-23

Zentalquabula wrote:

My DB is 200 kB compressed, for a small installation with 4000 images and some videos at 1 GB.

Wonderful. :) That's a lot more images than I had (but I had some high resolution PNGs which take a lot of space). It seems some backups were being made also on the server side, I'll try to do the installation differently this time. Unfortunately I couldn't backup the database after resource limit was breached, so I have to setup the website from the start, but I'll take things one step at a time.

Last edited by kalel (2016-10-22 10:00:53)

#4 2016-10-22 21:35:59

kalel
www.photofree.ga
2015-09-23

kalel wrote:

Zentalquabula wrote:

Wonderful. :) That's a lot more images than I had (but I had some high resolution PNGs which take a lot of space). It seems some backups were being made also on the server side, I'll try to do the installation differently this time. Unfortunately I couldn't backup the database after resource limit was breached, so I have to setup the website from the start, but I'll take things one step at a time.

Okay, I was able to restore most of the data (imported the huge database locally, cleaned the entire history table, and then exported to the new installation).

To confirm, when you say "turn history off", do you mean the visitor history per group? (registered, admin, guest). This was the only history setting I could find, if there's something else, please let me know.

In fact, the history data was huge (over 500 mb).

#5 2016-10-25 18:29:33

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

Admin/Configuration: Save visits in history for...

Uncheck all boxes. Unless you really need the history.

Then Admin/Tools/Maintenance: purge everything, including sessions.

I had a problem with garbage cleaning on Ubuntu, and it this is so, sessions tables will just grow indefinitely.

kalel wrote:

kalel wrote:

Zentalquabula wrote:

Okay, I was able to restore most of the data (imported the huge database locally, cleaned the entire history table, and then exported to the new installation).

To confirm, when you say "turn history off", do you mean the visitor history per group? (registered, admin, guest). This was the only history setting I could find, if there's something else, please let me know.

In fact, the history data was huge (over 500 mb).

Board footer