Announcement

#1 2004-04-04 22:43:36

tenaka
2003-11-09

Changing The Default Template

Hi guys,

I have been desperately trying to figure out how to use the new template system and adapt the web gallery design to my page design. I just gave up. maybe somebody can give me some useful hints.

FIRST question: What would be easier: try to adapt the category.vtp to use my own css style sheet so when I cahnge that my whole site including webgallery will change or change the default.css to look like my own css file?

The first variant would be better but I have to edit the category.vtp and I do not know php at all so I am not quite sure which part of the category.vtp  is which part I see on the screen (i.e. how is the left upper part of the menue called??? - If I knew that I could edit the category.vtp and make that part of the code <div id="side-bar"> the headding would be sideBarTExt and so on ...)

The second method is also not practicable because I do not have any clue as to what the different parts of the css file refer to...what is .titretable1 or .cat_plan for example?

Couldn't anyone who knows what is what write a commented category.vtp??? That would be a great help. With the last version (1.3.0) I was able to adapt the design to my site but only after several weeks of trial and error. If noone is able to help me I think I have to go back to that version.

Am I doing something wrong? I mean I have a good stylesheet that has a menue on the left side defined, a header , a footer, and a main part I just need to apply that to the category.vtp but I dunno how.

#2 2004-04-05 02:28:27

Gweltas
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon en théorie
2003-12-04

Re: Changing The Default Template

A vtp file is only an html file with some stupid tags (<--VTP and so on...)

You DON'T need to know even a word of php to change the lookout of your site and that's the point of a template system. For my own part, I would suggest you to modify the default.css file to adapt your own stylesheet just because otherwise, you would have to modify every single vtp file to point on your css file.

In order to know to which thing refers something like .titretable1, just look at the vtp file.

Hope this helps...

#3 2004-04-05 20:06:49

tenaka
2003-11-09

Hello Gweltas,

sorry for not being too explicit.

What I meant is this:

what do these tags inside the category.vtp: {#frame_begin}, <!--VTP_category-->, <!--VTP_bullet_w_link-->, {#indent}, {#bullet_link}, {#bullet_url}, {#lien_collapsed}, {#webmaster}

The <!--VTP_category-->, - like tags do look like coments to me.

Next question is what does the phpwebgallery do with the category.vtp? How does it process that stuff? What needs to be inside? Or can I simply make my own design using for example div tags and my css file instead of tables and the gallery will pick it up and use it? Are there limits to what I can do to the category.vtp?

I decided to stick with the old 1.3.0 until I manage to get 1.3.1 running with my own design.

Thats what I meant about not knowing PHP. I was not sure what kind of document a .vtp file is, what its function was and what I can do to it.

#4 2004-04-07 02:08:35

Gweltas
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon en théorie
2003-12-04

Ok let's go!
A template system is a file that will be processed by the php code to generate HTML code. The html layout will be something like the vtp file.

- The comments that you see are the processing tags (that's to say, when you see HTML code between such tags, its output may be optionnal)
- The {"***} tags that you see will be replace by dynamic data computed in the php file.

Nowadays, we were not please with the current template system because it is not as mature as we wish it was. So we will use another one in the next branch (1.4) and all the php code that "use" the template files is being rewritten. The vtp file will disappear and new tpl files will be there. Nevertheless it will work exactly on the same way!

So, my very best advice is to wait a little before begginning to create a new template with this obsolete vtp system. We will certainly wake some FAQ to help designers to create their own template. It's our main goal with this migration! Besides, currently the vtp files are somewhat confusing because it massively use recursivity. We are trying to make them as simple as possible in the next branch!

I know this don't exactly answer to your questions, but -for my point of view - it should be better to wait for the next release to make your brand new template (and we'll help you to do it!)

#5 2004-04-07 11:22:08

tenaka
2003-11-09

well, I can wait.

I have done a simple adaptation but its still using images to draw the borders instead of simply using css. for the moment being it will be enough (if the new version will be released within the next few month thats fine)

#6 2005-03-06 14:19:56

Robin Simon

Hi, just a short question on release 1.4: Will it be possible to simply update older versions without loosing database-info (like keywords)?. If not, I better wait with building a gallery. Is there an approximate date when the new release will be available? Thanks!

Robin

#7 2005-03-10 14:48:06

Gweltas
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon en théorie
2003-12-04

Of course, all DB informations will be kept and upgraded.
The 1.4 version should be deliver soon...

Board footer