Announcement

#91 2016-09-06 08:43:08

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Re: FAQ? Migrating from gallery 2 to piwigo

mike15 wrote:

Hi, as I'm trying to migrate my Gallery2 instance to Piwigo, I've stumbled on the question if Menalto2Piwigo plugin has support for Gallery2 Multi Language Module that can be found here: 

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery … :multilang

My site contains over 5k photos with titles and descriptions in two languages.  Loosing it isn't an option for me, so I was hoping someone could clarify if this is something that can be added to the future releases to support Multilingual Extended Description plugin?

Thanks!
Mike

Hi :-)

[extension by Piwigo Team] Extended Description

[extension by Piwigo Team] Language Switch

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#92 2016-09-06 16:07:08

mike15
2016-09-06

I'm well aware that those extensions exist already.  I am asking if the import process for "Menalto2Piwigo" can handle the description metadata for non-english based languages associated with each photo.

#93 2017-07-09 09:58:34

pcp20us
2017-06-29

Hi all.

I am migrating from gallery2 to piwigo, and been playing with piwigo.

I am using the Menalto2Piwigo plugin.

Following the insruction,
I have copy the files as in step one.
I have sync, with some errors but mainly success.
I have run the DB import step.

But i see no photos, do i have to do something else to see the photos, as the import seemed to inport into the DB??
thanks

#94 2017-07-09 10:03:55

pcp20us
2017-06-29

HAHA.

Ok i found the ticked box in the sync step, that needs to be unticked. Thought i leave my post here as it may help someone.

#95 2017-12-02 22:02:58

Garfield42
2017-12-02

Hello

I also have trouble with migrating from gallery2 to piwigo. I migrated albums and photos, but there are no descriptions.

I installed piwigo with a new database, then moved all folders and photos from the g2data... file to the galleries file. Then solved the problem with spaces and other special letters according this instruction.
Next I installed the plugins "Menalto2Piwigo" and "Extended Description" and activated only "Menalto2Piwigo".
Then Tools -> Syncronize, which seemed to work (no errors when I run it the first time).
Then I submited the form with the database information of the old gallery2 database. A green message confirmed. Now I activated the plugin "Extended Description", again a green message.

So, the albums and photos are in the gallery, not sorted as before, but I can live with that. But there are no album descriptions and also no photo description. As I understand, this should be migrated?
The descriptions are the only thing I necessarily need, as I can't rewrite 12k items, even more, as my gallery2 isn't accessible anymore (then I could at least copy them, also I'd rather avoid it).

I can follow simple instructions for web-applications, but I'm lost here.

Does anyone has an idea, what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much.

#96 2017-12-03 09:15:44

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

i dont see any mistake in how you made it. i have made the same steps 2 years ago and everything worked ok.
maybe they change something to the plugin in the recent versions?

because someone putted the same question recently
http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26940

#97 2017-12-03 15:21:01

Garfield42
2017-12-02

Thank you for pointing me to the other thread. I saw that one too, but obviously did not read carefully.

Solution for my problem was, that the original files still need to be in the old gallery2 folder on the server, otherwise it can not transfer the album and photo descriptions.

Sadly, Filezilla seems to only be able to cut and not copy files...

Last edited by Garfield42 (2017-12-03 15:55:44)

#98 2017-12-10 14:40:54

Garfield42
2017-12-02

So, same problem again...

As my server had some login and security issues, I set up the whole gallery again and migrated from Gallery2 to Piwigo again (see last two posts). I did everything the same way again, plus Tools -> Maintenance -> update album information / update photo information.

Last week, I finally was able to import both album descriptions as well as photo descriptions. Now it migrated only album descriptions. No errors.

I also installed the plugin Fotorama.
I think, it migrated also the photo descriptions, but maybe I unticked or ticked a box wrong, somewhere in the settings?
I use Piwigo in German and sometimes it's not very obvious, what exactly some settings mean, as I also don't know the term in English.

Anyone has an idea where I should search for the correct settings?

Edit: when doing some other stuff on the gallery, I now saw, that there's no text in the image description field , while there is text in the album description field (in the admin panel).
So then ist must be a migration problem?

Last edited by Garfield42 (2017-12-10 16:09:36)

#99 2018-01-07 14:44:26

Garfield42
2017-12-02

Hi, it's me again.

I now tried to synchronise from the old gallery again and again (3-4 times), sometimes it migrated the album description and sometimes it didn't. Sadly, it never migrated the image description. So I now copied around 500 image descriptions manually.

But that can't be a solution for someone with more descriptions. :(

I would provide my databases of the old and new gallery, if someone would like to have a look at them?

#100 2018-01-07 15:03:58

krist
2016-01-30

Hi Garfield,
One suggestion.  Dump your gallery2/3 database and save it.  Then use the saved db in your new piwigo setup, with same password to the database.  Load the photos to "galleries" folder.  Then follow the instructions step by step.  If in doubt, please read all my posts in the previous page.  If you created a new database for piwigo, your photo description is nowhere.

#101 2018-01-07 22:53:29

Garfield42
2017-12-02

krist wrote:

Hi Garfield,
One suggestion.  Dump your gallery2/3 database and save it.  Then use the saved db in your new piwigo setup, with same password to the database.  Load the photos to "galleries" folder.  Then follow the instructions step by step.  If in doubt, please read all my posts in the previous page.  If you created a new database for piwigo, your photo description is nowhere.

Oh, thank you, that is a good idea!

So I set up a new piwigo gallery with a copy of the old database, which worked. I didn't used any plugins (as Menalto2Piwigo wouldn't make sense in this case), but I did run Tools -> Update Album-Information and Update Image-Information.

No album description and no image description.

I synchronised 5 times, but still both descriptions are now shown.

So, the problem is not necessarily the plugin Menalto2Piwigo. What could have changed (databases, piwigo) since an earlier version of the plugin? It seems to have worked some time ago.

#102 2018-01-08 00:05:04

krist
2016-01-30

Did you install the plugins, Minalto2piwigo and the extended description before you  syn.

#103 2018-01-08 00:18:45

krist
2016-01-30

Hi Garfield:
Install Minalto2piwigo and extended description, then under Plugin , Click Menalto2piwigo and fill in the data required under Import.  Start import.

#104 2018-01-08 09:55:13

Garfield42
2017-12-02

Hi kirst

Great, that worked for both album AND image description!

So: copy the old database to a new one and use this one instead of a new empty database. Then run the whole process with the plugins Menalto2piwigo and Extended Descriptions, then syncronise.

Thank you very much, krist!

#105 2018-01-08 15:22:53

krist
2016-01-30

You are welcome.  Glad to be able to help.

Board footer