Announcement

#1 2017-08-16 11:21:05

executive
2017-08-16

[resolved] order photos by metadata time

Hi

The most obvious way to order photos in an album is chronologically. The closest option I see in Piwigo is to order photos by file creation time, but that is not the same thing. How do I order them by EXIF "Time Digitized", or IPTC "Digital Creation Date/Time"? This is a much needed feature, and how most other gallery software does it.

Environment:
    Piwigo 2.9.1
    PHP: 5.6.31
    MySQL: 5.6.35
    Graphics Library: ImageMagick 6.9.4-10

Piwigo URL: http://mountainmanjoe.ca/gallery/

Last edited by executive (2017-08-19 22:50:31)

#2 2017-08-17 03:01:10

executive
2017-08-16

Re: [resolved] order photos by metadata time

I might have figured it out.

I think when you upload a photo to piwigo using the web interface, piwigo automatically maps the EXIF original time to the photo's creation time database metadata value. (Can somebody confirm this?) Maybe I used the application MacShareToPiwigo to upload, and it bypassed this mapping, causing piwigo to use the physical file creation date.

Still, it would be better if Piwigo used separate metadata values for file creation time, and photo taken time, because they are both distinct and useful data. For example I may want to know both when I took a photo, and when I exported it from Lightroom.

#3 2017-08-17 12:31:45

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: [resolved] order photos by metadata time

executive wrote:

I think when you upload a photo to piwigo using the web interface, piwigo automatically maps the EXIF original time to the photo's creation time database metadata value. (Can somebody confirm this?)

I confirm. By default Piwigo searches the DateTimeOriginal to fill the piwigo_images.date_creation in Piwigo database:

Code:

$conf['use_exif'] = true;
$conf['use_exif_mapping'] = array(
  'date_creation' => 'DateTimeOriginal'
  );

executive wrote:

Maybe I used the application MacShareToPiwigo to upload, and it bypassed this mapping, causing piwigo to use the physical file creation date.

If you guess right, this is not the best way to go, in my opinion. Still in my opinion, the file creation time (which is updated each time you move a file, this is not a reliable metadata at all) has no interest at all.

Piwigo keeps (in database) 2 dates associated to a photo :

* date_creation which is supposed to be the date when the photo was taken (but can be anything you want)
* date_available which is the date when the photo was added to Piwigo (and can't be modified, unless you use [extension by P@t] Posted Date Changer)

Board footer