Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Allow album to belong to multiple parents

#1 2018-01-02 19:30:07

mwerle
2016-04-26

Allow album to belong to multiple parents

Hi,

Similarly to how a photo can belong to more than one album, it would be great if an album could have more than one parent.

After I've gone through all the trouble of creating an album with a set of photos, giving them descriptions and a custom order, it would be great if I could then have that album in multiple locations in my gallery.

For example, say I go on a club motorbike rally to Holland.  I create an album for the trip, but I want the album to be hosted under both "Personal / Travel / Holland Rally 2017" as well as, for example, "Bike Club / Rally Pics / Holland Rally 2017" and perhaps even "Personal / Bike Trips / Holland Rally 2017", etc.

There's many similar examples for example travelling somewhere to attend a wedding; the album could be part of "Travel" as well as "Family Events".

Apologies if this is already possible but I haven't seen an option or plugin which allows this.

Cheers,
- Micha.

#2 2018-01-04 02:34:30

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Allow album to belong to multiple parents

I do remember coming across an extension that allows you to customize the menu. There's a good chance that it allows multiple links to the same album.

Descriptions that you apply to images should persist across all albums.

#3 2018-01-16 23:53:24

sborzabor
2018-01-16

internet help

#4 2018-08-30 14:26:44

sgbotsford
2016-02-13

This should be easy to implement using symbolic links in the file system.   I'm still learning how Piwago does things, so I'm not sure how hard it would be in the database.  This note is probably a good exposition on my lack of understanding.

In the file system you have one canonical organization.  This can be totally arbitrary (See Apple's "Photo" app for a good example of one that is opaque to mere mortals)  But Year/Month/Day folders work well.

An Album then is a collection of images -- symbolic links to the actual image.  In the database it's a list to other entries.

A potential gotcha:  You have to deal with circular lists.  It would be possible to indirectly make an album a member of itself.  There isn't anything wrong with this -- until you are trying to traverse the entire image database.  This can be handled by inverting the way the database stores album info:  Instead of an album having a list of images and other albums, an image record has a list of albums it's a member of.

•  » Requests
  •  » Allow album to belong to multiple parents

Board footer