Announcement

#1 2018-01-12 02:42:17

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

Can themes corrupt an install?

Hello forum!

The short version is that I switched themes, switched back, and suddenly my videos aren't loading and ADMIN.TOOLS is crashing.

BACKGROUND

A few years ago, I was running Piwigo and had a lot of trouble with it generating a huge load on my server (or so the hoster claimed). I ended up going through multiple tweaks, even had some of the creators check my install, it all seemed fine. Looking back, there were two issues at play, neither really Piwigo (one was that a security plugin in WordPress up in my root created a looping config file, and one was that because the root is where my WordPress resides, anything below that including Piwigo can be affected by the higher config settings for the folders). I eventually changed hosters, and paid through the nose to use SmugMug for pix and videos. A few months into my new hoster, a similar load problem cropped up with just WP running, and their tech support found the problem (in about 2 minutes flat) was the config file created by a security plugin. All resolved. Which meant I wanted to eventually try Piwigo again. Which I did.

INSTALL

I installed the latest version last week via Softaculous, everything worked fine. www.polywogg.ca/pandafamily/

I reinstalled a bunch of plugins I've used before, configured a few, etc., but the main thing I wanted working was video. Since my new host will let me have low bandwidth video, and it worked in WordPress and Piwigo when I tested it, I went looking for a good theme.  To be clear, I had Piwigo installed, three photos uploaded, one video, and all was working with default theme.

For plugins, I had activated: AdminTools, Advanced Menu Manager, Automatic Size, Charlie's Content, Download by Size, Edit Filename, Exif View, Extended Description, FCK Editor, File Uploader, Grum Plugins Classes.3, Header Manager, Localfiles Editor, Look_like_gbo2, Manage Properties, Menu Random PHoto, Perso Footer, Perosnal Favicon, Protected Albums, Rotate Image, RV Menu Tree, VideoJS.

THEMES

So I like light themes, but since some are "dark" but have a light option, I basically installed all of them and started working my way through them. I started with CLEAR, tried PURE CLEAR, MONTBLANC XL, and then got to Bootstrap. Tried it, didn't like it, went back to clear, went to my album, and it went COMPLETELY WONKY. I got the following error:

Warning: include(/themeconf.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/polywogg/public_html/pandafamily/include/template.class.php on line 1156

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/themeconf.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php70/usr/share/pear') in /home/polywogg/public_html/pandafamily/include/template.class.php on line 1156

Fatal error: Uncaught --> Smarty: Unable to load template file 'menubar.tpl' <-- thrown in /home/polywogg/public_html/pandafamily/include/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php on line 139

So I tried another theme, went back to CLEAR or PURE CLEAR, nada. Deactivated all my plugins -- Admin.Tools throws that error. But it was installed previously, no issues at all. I could even use the menus to change themes while logged in, no problem. Now, it won't even load the album. If I deactivate Admin.Tools, seems to work fine. WTF?  Tried uninstalling it COMPLETELY, reinstalling it from scratch, no dice. It does not want to run on my install.

Okay, I can get by without it, right? So I deactivated it, started testing my site again. Now the video's not working. It loaded just fine previously. When I try to run the video, it tells me it can't find mediainfo????

Mediainfo error reading file. Is MediaInfo install? Is MediaInfo in path? Is the video accessible & readable, Try to run the command manually.

Again, it was working before I changed themes, afterwards, not so much. WTF?

QUESTIONS

Can it really just be that the theme change corrupted both my admin.tools and video install?

I feel like I should blow off all of Piwigo and try a reinstall from scratch, but that seems extreme.

But I've worked within the install, and can't see anything to do. I didn't change anything else.

PolyWogg

#2 2018-01-13 12:50:29

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Can themes corrupt an install?

Hello
first instead of uninstalling Piwigo you can just upload and overwrite everything from the official zip provided here

then the "Warning: include(/themeconf.inc.php): failed to open stream:" is a typical error when the theme is missing. So when you found that admin tools caused that, I think it's more complicated: I think that plugin has a way to cache the user config since it allows the admin to browse the gallery as if he was the user X. So it's very likely a cache issue.

about the video, I think it's another issue. I don't use it and have no idea of what's wrong here

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2018-01-13 20:22:02

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

Flop25 to the rescue again! Based on your description that (a) it was missing the template and (b) it was a possible cache issue, it occurred to me what the problem "might" be.

When Admin Tools is activated, it allows you to switch themes on the fly so you can test it as logged in or as a guest. So it occurred to me that Admin Tools wasn't so much as not finding the template to use, so much as it was looking for a template that was NO LONGER there i.e. it was looking for the Bootstrap template that I had installed, viewed, tested, and deleted. Admin Tools was STILL looking for it, and since it wasn't there, it looked like ADMIN TOOLS was the problem. I reinstalled the Bootstrap theme, Admin Tools ran fine.

Switched default guest theme to something else, deleted BootStrap, all good, even with Admin Tools running.

Now on to getting the videos to work. Again.

Thanks Flop25!

P.

#4 2018-01-13 21:14:49

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

And as I tweaked the other problem, my video started working again! You know why? Because the ExIF module was trying to show the data on the video. If ExIF / Info is clicked "off" and I go to the video, works perfectly. If I click it on and go to the video, crashes all over the place. At least I have found the "problem".

P.

#5 2018-01-13 21:24:21

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

great!
don't hesitate to post on the github of videojs to improve it too

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#6 2018-01-14 00:25:26

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

Hmm...I found in Video.JS an option to completely turn off the metadata, which means it works with anything now, with or without the EXIF data showing.

I went over to GitHub, but me thinks I'm missing some sort of "comment" button option. Not sure where you share that. And, since I think it is a built in option, maybe they figure they already know about it? Most people who had the MEDIAINFO errors were either hardcore (they were messing with the install) or they were four and five year old reports.

P.

#7 2018-01-17 02:41:39

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

Alas, it still crashes in "photo properties", but at least not on my live site :)

P.

Board footer