Announcement

#1 2018-02-04 17:03:13

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

Copying a folder and substructure

So I have a simple question, and I feel like either it goes against the philosophy of file structures or there's a plugin / tool I'm missing as no one else seems to have asked this in the forums...can you "copy" an album structure from one place to another?

Initially that sounds like duplication, but not quite.

I organize my albums by year, generally. They're just personal albums, kind of a chron order. So in 2017, I have sub-albums for the months (January, February,...exactly what it sounds like). In 2016, I have the ** same structure ** -- not the same pics obviously, but the same names for sub-albums.

So, when I start a new year -- like 2018 -- I create the album for 2018 and then add individual sub-folders for each month. Creating 12 subfolders. The exact same structure I did for several other years. Which means if I could just copy the structure, or "autofill" a sub-structure, I would have the structure I want.

Does it take a long time to create 12 sub-folders? Not really...except I'm creating a new PIWIGO structure for several years worth of uploads which means I'm creating 100 or so sub-albums.

Even if it would be hard not to copy all the elements over (descriptions, images, etc.), I could at least create an empty structure and then copy THAT over.

As I said, I feel like I'm either breaking the virtual structure philosophy or there's an easy solution others are using...

Any help would be appreciated...

Paul
aka PolyWogg

#2 2018-02-04 18:52:04

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Re: Copying a folder and substructure

I do the same thing in one of my Piwigo galleries ... all of the high-level albums are years, and then in each year album I have sub-albums January - December (all physical albums).

To be honest, I just create the new folder each month the first time I'm putting a photo into it. I don't pre-create the structure each year.

I'm sure you could probably find a shell script out there to pre-create a bunch of file-system level folders like this, rather than doing it through Piwigo.

#3 2018-02-07 02:48:16

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

Re: Copying a folder and substructure

Hmm, didn't think of the folder solution, mostly as the "virtual" album has a different structure I guess. I did the same as you, but it was just as I was setting up for 2008 to 2017 that I realized I had ten years worth of 12 sub-albums to do. Maybe there's an extension that does it (I only just found out that not all extensions show up as plugins, didn't realize there was a difference, sigh).

P.

Board footer