Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Wondering what it would take to have raw file support

#1 2018-03-15 22:39:06

fivestones
2018-03-15

Wondering what it would take to have raw file support

Hello,

I'm a new piwigo user here, and so far I like what I see a lot. One thing that I'm trying to get working is raw file support. It looks like there is some support maybe for uploading raw files from lightroom, but specifically I'm looking for a way to put raw files on the server by ftp, and then run synchronize, and then have those files show up as albums (converted to jpg) just as though I had placed jpg files there. What would also be great is if I could then click download on any of those files and have the option to download either the jpg or the original raw file.

It looks like there was a bunch of work done a few years ago to get raw file support accomplished, at least for web uploads. (Here http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24845 and here http://piwigo.org/bugs/view.php?id=3182) Looking at the code that was written there it looks like probably most of the work to make a raw files plugin has already been completed but it seems to have stalled back in May of 2015 and never was finished to the point of being a real plugin. It also seems to not have support for ftp uploads.

I was thinking I could write a script ran on a cron job to look for raw files and convert them with dcraw and imagemagick, so jpg files would be waiting for the next synchronize job. But that seems messy and it would be great for other people too if this existed as a working plugin.

I suppose I could dig into the code and try to figure out what needs to be still done and complete it, but I thought I would ask here if anyone else was working on the same kind of thing, or maybe if someone who knows piwigo better than me is interested in a project :-) Or maybe despite my pretty good google-fu this has already been made and I just didn't find it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
-David

#2 2018-03-16 00:20:25

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Wondering what it would take to have raw file support

It seems strange to upload raw files. They are meant for editing, not viewing. Can I ask what is motivating this?

#3 2018-03-16 17:25:52

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello
you can already upload them and them set a representative picture to display them (since no browser will actually display raw)
an automatic representative would the step further indeed

You can also contribute by asking for a quotation to PigoLabs ^_^

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#4 2018-03-17 22:02:19

fivestones
2018-03-15

@executive:

I have a lot of old pictures. Many of them are in raw format. I want to have my pictures viewable through piwigo, and I also want to keep my original raw files. I want to keep raw and jpg version of files together, and I don't want to duplicate files. Give all of this, it makes sense to have the raw files on my server, with jpgs that are generated from them being used by piwigo so I can view them. And finally, in the infrequent event that I need the original raw files to edit them, I can get them from the server where they stored next to the jpgs.

So it would be awesome to just ftp the raw files to the server, click synchronize in piwigo, and have the photos show up (as converted jpegs) in piwigo, with the raw files till right there next to them where I put them for later use if needed.

My guess is there are lots of other people with lots of old raw photos who would love this functionality in piwigo too.

•  » Extensions
  •  » Wondering what it would take to have raw file support

Board footer