Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Feature request: Make Piwigo AMP-enabled

#1 2016-08-04 09:33:19

evert
2015-05-17

Feature request: Make Piwigo AMP-enabled

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

The latest/greatest by Google & others: AMP (accelerated mobile pages). It would be super-cool if Piwigo had native support for this  :)

https://github.com/ampproject/amphtml

#2 2018-03-18 01:37:55

TallGuysFree
2017-11-10

Re: Feature request: Make Piwigo AMP-enabled

Let's revisit this. :D

We have AMP working at https://tallguysfree.com/index.amp , but it uses dozens of Smarty functions to rewrite page content based on URL. It took us months to get it done. I would love to work with Piwigo to make it AMP compatible.

#3 2018-03-18 03:21:34

executive
2017-08-16

So that would make a piwigo gallery load faster in mobile browsers? How does it work?

Source code: https://github.com/Piwigo/

#4 2018-03-18 12:19:02

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

We will never use a closed technology controlled by a company. Behind AMP is Google which is caching the page and making the standards sometimes very obscure or "weird" like for instance with the ads injection.

If you really want to display your page speedy fast and be independent you pay a CDN to cache your pictures all around the world

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2018-03-18 13:18:07

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Right. Thanks flop25 for explicitly stating. With AMP a site hands out the web page to the cache provider (which may be Google or others but usually will be Google) and they decide what to display when or not. While the technology is open source and standard, the rules of delivery are not. AMP is an initiative supported mainly by publishers and ad-sellers, now guess why..

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#6 2018-03-18 14:53:06

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

One of the goals of the Piwigo project is to provide alternatives to "web giants" like Google/Facebook/Amazon... this is why I agree with flop25 :-)

#7 2018-03-19 22:38:51

dlgentle
2017-03-09

flop25 wrote:

We will never use a closed technology controlled by a company. Behind AMP is Google which is caching the page and making the standards sometimes very obscure or "weird" like for instance with the ads injection.

If you really want to display your page speedy fast and be independent you pay a CDN to cache your pictures all around the world

flop25 You seem like the intelligent one on a lot of this stuff.  Any chance you could steer me in the right direction to figure out the best way to load my pictures in a CDN bucket and have them show up in my piwigo gallery? Can't be too hard.  I really like the lightroom upload and that is what I have used in the past, but I am willing to switch to a different loader.  Do you need to create a tree in your bucket to make it work? I have an amazon bucket setup, I just need to figure out the best process to load them in the bucket and have my piwigo installation find them. Any help would be great.  Thanks a ton, -Don

#8 2018-03-21 00:52:32

TallGuysFree
2017-11-10

Sorry to hear this won't be implemented.

#9 2018-03-21 06:03:46

samwilson
Fremantle, Western Australia
2014-02-06

I'm glad to hear the libre/open-source sentiments expressed above. This is one of the reasons I use Piwigo! :-)

I once was involved in a project that used another of Google's technologies: Google Gears. It was fine in its way, but was an absolute pain to develop for, and ultimately (within a couple of years) it was superseded by HTML5 features (localstorage etc.) and all the work we did had to be re-done. I reckon AMP could quite well go the same way: start off as a proprietary thing that is then replaced by a functionally-similar but technically-incompatible open standard. Not worth putting time into yet.

#10 2018-03-21 06:59:23

executive
2017-08-16

Me too. I switched to Piwigo to escape Google's stranglehold.

Last edited by executive (2018-03-21 06:59:48)

#11 2018-03-21 16:37:45

TallGuysFree
2017-11-10

What bothers me is it seems no one took a minute to researc AMP.

No one mentioned it is open source, instead assuming it's proprietary. They assumed it's controlled by Google, which is not completely true.

Google is not the only company to use AMP. Twitter also uses it. Any company can use it.

Google is not the only AMP cache. Cloudflare also has one. Any company can have one.

AMP is not strictly about advertising.

Truly, AMP is being taken how people took CSS (and HTML5) when they came out. They were scared.

If you have a gallery of something like models or dogs, don't expect to be found via search keyword (not meta keyword). Google ranks AMP pages higher.

AMP advertisements are not to be confused with "Better Ad Standards".

In my opinion, not having AMP is like when we browsed the internet on our flip phones -- no WAP/lightweight version available. AMP makes webpages simple again, like they often were in the 1990s. When someone wants to see something on the internet, they shouldnt have to wait. :)

#12 2018-03-21 16:42:13

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Piwigo has detction for mobile devices
you're free to do your own AMP theme, or lightweight theme

Truly, AMP is being taken how people took CSS (and HTML5) when they came out. They were scared.

Html5 and CSS are managed by the W3C

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

•  » Requests
  •  » Feature request: Make Piwigo AMP-enabled

Board footer