Announcement

#1 2018-05-24 17:40:14

captenaj
2014-06-24

videojs and vlc?

Hello All,
I am trying to get videos to show up on my piwigo page but am having trouble. The mp4 videos show up but videos that are .mov, .wmv, and .avi do not even appear. I have not been able to install/activate (not sure of the right term) ffmpeg or mediaInfo so that may be why I can't see thumbnails for these other videos.

I have run across an extension for chrome called VLC. Does anyone have any experience with it? Or has there been any recent developments on getting other movie formats to play?

Thanks for any help.

Piwigo version: 2.9.3
PHP version: ??
MySQL version: ??

#2 2018-05-24 19:51:44

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: videojs and vlc?

you use standard web format or you force your visitors to download extra stuff
the first one is the best but you can choose

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2018-05-24 20:49:00

captenaj
2014-06-24

Thanks for the response flop25.

I agree the first option is by far the best. Or it would be the best if I were looking for visitors. Really, I just want a place to archive my photos and videos so my requirements are more along the lines of preserving the original format of the files. Does converting the files degrade the quality at all? I would think any conversion would impact quality.

So it would be nice to have a way to view the original videos in a browser and I was hoping VLC could do that. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks again.

#4 2018-07-26 11:05:22

xbgmsharp
1970-01-01

Videojs plugin documentation explain those points. From my test you should be able to rename file in MOV into MP4. However a transcode is the best solution. If you keep an high video profile you won't loose anything with the new video.

https://github.com/xbgmsharp/piwigo-vid … vice-video
https://github.com/xbgmsharp/piwigo-vid … t-you-know

I personally use HandBrake as it allow converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.

A sample HandBrakeCLI command to transcode in a supported video format profile.

# HandBrakeCLI --optimize --encoder x264 --x264-profile high -i <input_video_file> -o <output_video_file>

Another sample command to transcode from iPhone in a supported video format profile.

# ffmpeg -i iphone.mov -threads 4 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -profile:v high -c:a libfdk_aac -vf scale=-1:720 newmovie.mp4
# exiftool −overwrite_original_in_place -r -tagsFromFile iphone.mov "-gps:*" newmovie.mp4
# mp4file --optimize newmovie.mp4

#5 2018-07-28 05:49:03

executive
2017-08-16

I can confirm this. I've converted WMV and AVI files to MP4 H264, and there is no noticeable reduction in quality (if the encoder is tuned properly). On top of that, you can sometimes reduce file size by roughly 20% (but it varies greatly from video to video). MP4's also behave better when streaming or seeking. Current Mac computers will not play AVI at all (without additional software). MP4s have excellent compatibility across many devices such as smartphones, home media players, game consoles etc. There really isn't a good reason not to transcode.

+1 for Handbrake.

Last edited by executive (2018-07-28 05:49:32)

Board footer