Announcement

#1 2018-06-25 16:50:32

TH_F73
2016-04-23

Need to shrink Piwigo DB

Hi,
I am using Piwigo since some years and I am still really fascinated with the tool.
I am hosting my Piwigo based photo gallery at an external hoster. I have now the problem that I am reaching my storage capacity limits. For this reason, I wanted to ask if there is a possibility to shrink/re-size all photos to e.g  800x800 pixels and delete all other photo sizes from the database. Is there such possibility ?

I know from other gallery sw that they sometimes keep all file sizes and formats in the database but don't know how this is with Piwigo.

This is my Piwigo based photo gallery: http://www.felbi.at/fotos/

Thank you for your support in this matter...

Best regards, Thorsten

#2 2018-06-25 23:41:04

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Need to shrink Piwigo DB

Of course. Image sizes are configurable in the options. Then just purge the old ones in maintenance tools.

#3 2018-06-26 03:16:43

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Note though that there are two different storage locations, images and thumbnails take up disk space, while image metadata and other data (e.g. visits history) is kept in a database (which of course also takes disk space somewhere, but may be different). So when your hoster speaks of "storage capacity limits" you'd need to know which.

If it's database then likely removing different image sizes will not gain much other than maybe a few entries per image. It might as well be that you gathered a gazillion of visit details in the history. Check the database tables if something has an abnormal size. If it is the piwigo_history table (or if you're running [extension by grum] AStat already then use that to check the number of entries on its Tools tab)  you can install [extension by Eric] Prune History to prune data and enable Automatic Prune with a sensible value. If you're running Piwigo 2.9.x though then the size shouldn't be much too large as it has an autopurge functionality, see [Forum, post 170222 by flop25 in topic 28604] Automatism keeping history small

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#4 2018-06-26 15:11:05

TH_F73
2016-04-23

Thank you for your replies. I set the size to 800x800 but I do not understand what to do with the other file sizes (see the ones I have highlighted in yellow). For what is that good for ? Can I just delete these ones ?

Thank you !

Best wishes, Thorsten

#5 2018-06-26 23:27:54

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Those are the sizes that are offered to visitors. They aren't necessarily created (until a visitor requests them or unless you tell Piwigo to create all) but created on the fly and then cached, so may build up using disk space over time (you can take a look at the _data/i/upload/ directory). You can explicitly delete them (or selected sizes) under Admin -> Tools -> Maintenance -> Delete multiple size images.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

Board footer