Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Is there an extension to rename directories and files

#1 2018-11-15 13:13:37

Fantomen
2018-11-15

Is there an extension to rename directories and files

Hi all,

I am looking for some kind of Batch manager plugin or extension where it is possible to rename several directories (and better off also files) at the same time in PWG after they have been synchronized. Does anyone know about any kind of plugin or extension like this? If there is no-one existing, someone out there (who is much more clever than me when it comes to programming) may could help to make something like this up. If so, my strong believe is that this could be very handy to be used for many of us PWG-users.

Piwigo version: 2.9.4
PHP version: 5.6.38
MySQL version: 5.0.11
Piwigo URL: http://

#2 2018-11-15 18:26:08

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Is there an extension to rename directories and files

If you're using physical albums, I think you would be better off using third party tools, such as file managers.

#3 2018-11-16 09:08:12

Fantomen
2018-11-15

Thanks for your reply "executive", now it feels like this thread has opened.

Well, both yes and no! I want this to work in PWG both for physical and virtual albums, it should be up to each user what they want. I need a third party tool (or some own made-up batch code that could be run as cron) for taking care of my physical directory/file names that's right, however, I also need something that takes care of the same thing but on the PWG-side. Let's see if I can express myself so you all understand.

First I would like to ask you, how many of you would like to have special letters and other characters on your directories/files in PWG? Yeah, that's what I thought, quite a few! Now, as most of you also already know, the PWG Team do not want to mess with this by reprogramming the whole PWG, and I understand them.

Now to the whole idea, why not try to make the PWG-team happy by not messing with their programming AND at the same time make us users happier by making this to work anyways!

As it is, the name of directories and files must be composed of letters, figures, ”-”, “_” or ”.” : {[a-zA-Z][0-9]-_.}. No blank space, no accentuated characters. But, this is only for getting the synchronization to work. When the directories/files are all in there, you can rename them again as you like yourself. So, if I rename my physical directory names (for example with a third party tool) to something that is accepted by PWB synchronization, but in such way that it is done in certain strings (codes) that corresponds to some letters and/or characters as you decide yourself. Then, after accepted synchronization, the new "PWG rename-extension/plugin" is used to rename them back again to what they were named to before you renamed them the first time on the physical album.

For example, the following strings could corresponds to the Swedish letters "å", "ä" and "ö": "z-", "z--" and "z---". Yes i know, the directory/file names will look very funny (and sometimes also long) in the physical album  but after conversion in PWG they will look just as you want.

I don't know if I expressed myself clear enough for you to understand? To perhaps make it easier for you to understand I do suggest you to look into a freeware program called "Ant Renamer" (unfortunately windows users only I think), you can google it! This program is very handy to be used when renaming directories/files on your physical album. It perfectly watch out for different strings that you decide yourself. What I would like to be working in PWG is just an extension/plugin that does the same thing but the other way around to get it right again after synchronization!!

Ok, what do you say out there? could this work? Is someone interested in trying to get this to work? Other suggestions?

#4 2018-11-16 10:02:51

executive
2017-08-16

Personally, no issues.

Last edited by executive (2018-11-16 10:03:37)

•  » Extensions
  •  » Is there an extension to rename directories and files

Board footer