Announcement

#1 2019-04-16 08:29:47

hsphoto
2018-08-20

Speed to upload photos to Piwigo.com hosted?

Hello,

Starting to test piwigo.com hosted now. Uploading seems slow, minutes per one 5 - 9 MB photo.
I can "mass migrate" over the time but out of curiosity

Q: What is the average uploading speed?

Q: Would it be faster if I would use Lightroom plugin or FTP instead of Web uploading form I was using?

Some of the "third party" web hotels are saying "20x" faster experience. I would still rather use Piwigo own  because of many reasons.

Piwigo version: Piwigo Hosted

#2 2019-04-16 18:56:21

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Speed to upload photos to Piwigo.com hosted?

Hello
the speed depends on your internet speed, the one from your ISP to Piwigo.com and the piwigo.com servers
I know for sure it doesn't come from piwigo com hosted by OVH a very reliable webhoster ; you may be from a very distant/isolated country, or your internet bandwidth is low in upload as many domestic connections
check from your work, or from someone else in your family... (not your neighbors since they probably have the same bandwidth limitations)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2019-04-16 21:07:41

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I fully agree with flop25, and I add:

hsphoto wrote:

Q: Would it be faster if I would use Lightroom plugin or FTP instead of Web uploading form I was using?

There is no FTP on Piwigo.com (or only for very specific occasion, like initialization). I don't think Lr will be faster than web form.

If you have a very fast internet connection (which is not the case here if it takes 60 seconds to upload a 5MB photo) we can adjust the chunk size of upload from 500kB (default) to 5000kB. On my personal fiber connection, its 2x faster this way.

#4 2019-04-17 16:28:17

hsphoto
2018-08-20

Thank you for the replies.

I have some sort of business full rate connection where promised values are 24M+ download and 1M + upstream. I did a test now with Orkla and it gives me 16M download and 1.1M upload. Must say that is not  much.

Comparing to uploading into Onedrive for business this lags behind. Naturally download numbers means nothing when uploading. I would expect with the 1.1M upstream to get about 15s per picture.

As I'm still in trial phase I don't expect any supportive actions to be done.

#5 2019-04-17 18:56:11

deheme
France
2014-12-12

Hi Hsphoto,

I just made the test with a trial account on piwigo.com. I uploaded 10 picts (total 50MB) in 10 seconds.
My upload speed is arround 200M.

In my opinion, the bottleneck is not the piwigo's servers but your upstream link. A quick calculation in your case : 1M (bits/sec) and 5M(Bytes) picture it can take 40/50 sec per picture to transfer.

The solution would be to reduce the size of you picts...

Regards
DéHème

Last edited by deheme (2019-04-17 23:23:18)

#6 2019-04-18 14:14:29

hsphoto
2018-08-20

Hi all,

I just did a test in the office with 90Mbps upload speed and I can confirm that speed was extremely good. So the problem is "last mile" problem like it was assumed here, not in the piwigo server end.

Br, Henkka

Board footer