Announcement

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Personal “Cloud”: Virtual FreeNAS & Piwigo realistic/possible?

#1 2019-12-01 23:57:27

phixiusphoto
2019-12-01

Personal “Cloud”: Virtual FreeNAS & Piwigo realistic/possible?

Hello all, newcomer here,

From looking at a couple posts, I think my idea was unrealistic, but perhaps I’m jumping to conclusions...maybe some code or plugins might help?

I’ve taken several hundred thousand pictures, and am wanting to use VMware ESXi to create a FreeNAS host, and use a Piwigo install (...or maybe there’s something more appropriate?) to use the many, many images (including raw) as a datastore.

The idea was/is to let the backup/internal website, serve as a place where I can rate and categorize my images. 

The catch: I was hoping to separate the database onto something fast (500gb NVMe), and the images would reside on two mirrored 8 tb hard drives....the FreeNAS System would receive 16gb of 2400ghz ECC RAM, and the host running Piwigo (ubuntu server?), would be living with 8gb of same RAM.

I’m working with an Intel Xeon E3-1225v5 3.3G, 8M cache.

Assuming that the above is unlikely to work out, as Piwigo wants to ingest/process/store the images itself....could I maybe accomplish this in reverse? 

Could I have Piwigo somehow take advantage of an NVMe or two for the database, and the FreeNAS drives as its storage? 

As long as the images are accessible, and on a ZFS mirrored system....I think I’m good.

Thanks in advance for reading, and providing feedback as appropriate.

Last edited by phixiusphoto (2019-12-01 23:59:14)

#2 2019-12-21 04:20:48

Emk
2019-12-20

Re: Personal “Cloud”: Virtual FreeNAS & Piwigo realistic/possible?

Hi
I'm new to Piwigo but I'm doing something similar albeit with only about 10,000 pictures. How ever you setup your photo archive so long as it is accessible (mounted) on the file system of the machine running Piwigo you should be fine. Just symlink your piwigo 'galleries' folder to your photo collection.
I just made a post here on what I'm doing: https://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29878

Using the batch manager you can tag hundreds or thousands of images at a time and move them about in virtual albums right from Piwigo. Your photo collection on disk never gets touched. There is also a plugin to write metadata from piwigo to your image files (Write Metadata). I havent tried it though. You can also export database data including filenames and tags to csv using the "Export Data" plugin. This is how I plan to delete image files from the file system. Tag them 'delete' in piwigo export the data and use a bash script to find and delete them.

What you are proposing should work if both Oiwigo and your photos are on the same machine. Not sure about samba though.

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Personal “Cloud”: Virtual FreeNAS & Piwigo realistic/possible?

Board footer