Announcement

#1 2020-10-25 03:10:01

piwent
2020-10-24

Are tags the same as keywords?

Hello!

New user here and I'm puzzled by the difference between tags and keywords and search terms.

Are they identical, just different names for the same thing?
Or are they actually different data and if so, please explain.

It appears that on the front end under the pictures they are called keywords. But on the front end in the menu they are called tags.

I checked the glossary and neither term is listed. https://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=about:glossary

This question has been asked before, but never answered.

BTW I have not installed the "Tags to Keywords" plugin.

Last edited by piwent (2020-10-25 03:14:13)

#2 2020-10-25 12:27:05

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Are tags the same as keywords?

Same thing, different name.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2020-10-25 12:32:03

piwent
2020-10-24

Thanks! So from a user perspective, It's confusing to have different names for the same thing.

I'm guessing this is a byproduct of the opensource/collaborative process. Is there any plan to make the naming uniform?

#4 2020-10-25 13:07:54

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

It's called tags in images and keywords in the software UI, where's the problem? Odd assumption/definition of a "byproduct" btw.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#5 2020-10-25 13:20:49

piwent
2020-10-24

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offense. I do appreciate all the work that you and others have put into the software.

I'm having a hard time explaining why one thing shouldn't have two different names. It just seems obvious to me. As a user, I am seeing it called one thing in the UI and one thing under the photo. I can't see why this is beneficial. Most of my experience is with WordPress, and there terms are fairly consistent.

I was just trying to give some feedback on UX. As a new user it's confusing. I had read somewhere that recently the project has been working on improving UX, so I thought I would help. I'm sure once I get used to it, it won't matter. But as I teach my team how to use the software, I'm always going to have to tell them, "Keywords and tags are the same thing. Don't know why, just get used to it."

What I meant by byproduct is that with different people working on different parts, it may not be easy to keep terms the same. It wasn't a criticism. I was just trying to think of why it would be this way.

Is the Glossary something that I can contribute to, to add "tag" and "keyword"?

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Last edited by piwent (2020-10-25 13:23:35)

#6 2020-10-27 12:45:36

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hello piwent,

piwent wrote:

BTW I have not installed the "Tags to Keywords" plugin.

This is exactly why you have the word "keyword" in your Piwigo user interface. Otherwise, you should only have "tag" :-)

Board footer