Announcement

•  » Off topic
  •  » Why we need cookie consent - what is GDPR and it's effect on my site

#1 2020-11-02 08:19:18

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Why we need cookie consent - what is GDPR and it's effect on my site

If Piwigo staff allows it I open this can of worms here, being inspired by some of the posts discussing a Cookie plugin over here: [Forum, topic 30710] [Cookie Consent] not remembering consent past session

Hit it...

#2 2020-11-02 08:25:24

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Re: Why we need cookie consent - what is GDPR and it's effect on my site

In extremely simple terms:

GDPR is about granting personal control over your own user data vs government and companies. To see it, to remove it and to acknowledge the usage of it for monitoring and/or commercial purposes.

Cookie Warnings are a way to inform your customers/visitors on your site that you collect specific data via their visit and usage of said site.

Both have it's origins in Consumer Rights, providing a legislation for citizens to control their own data.

Last edited by homdax (2020-11-02 08:25:56)

#3 2020-11-02 11:41:06

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

A vanilla Piwigo does not need plugin "Cookies Consent". This plugin becomes interesting if you use some external web analytics (like Google Analytics) or load external font or any marketing tracker.

The cookies used by Piwigo are not part of the GDPR restriction "needs consent from the visitor".

I hate these annoying popups and I really don't want to have them on a Piwigo. Neither on piwigo.org nor on Piwigo.com.

#4 2020-11-02 19:54:12

executive
2017-08-16

The moment you walk out your front door in the morning, you become "public data". Same thing when you venture out onto the internet. Educate people about this fact, and ways users can prevent or control the data that is collected from them. (eg browser technologies, VPN etc.)

GDPR will make benevolent websites more annoying to use. I'm more annoyed by the popups than by the cookies.

The malicious sites will still track you, phish your data, send you ransomware etc.

GDPR is yet more toothless, useless, annoying, artificially job-justifying nonsense. The gov't should use their time more wisely on useful things.

What about holding accountable the South Asian telecomm companies which host scam call centres?

Last edited by executive (2020-11-02 19:55:50)

•  » Off topic
  •  » Why we need cookie consent - what is GDPR and it's effect on my site

Board footer