Announcement

#1 2007-08-08 16:00:12

maple
Prague
2007-05-24

UTF-8 issue

Hi photo community,

as I mentioned in another topic (http://forum.phpwebgallery.net/viewtopi … 235#p67235), I'm preparing switching the gallery into UTF-8. I have done this in past for previous version (1.6, only personally, never released for public), so it will be maybe not a big effort to do it. After that I can release the code to PWG dev team and let them to incorporate into next releases. I know, that this issue is maybe in long term road map of PWG product, but for me it is very painful and I hope I am able to prepare the patch (if the change in this range can be still named as a patch...).

What I want to discuss is TODO list, which I should not miss - 1.7 has many new features and changing gallery into UTF-8 is not only by changing "charset".

So,
- changing available language support into UTF-8
- RSS feeds into UTF-8 (don't change automatically according to language encoding now, don't know why, must fix)
- statistics (graphing and text into graphs?)
- emails (subject can have only single character encoding according to RFC spec)
- database - this is maybe the biggest issue as the MySQL 4.0 doesn't naturally support multibyte character encoding, there are three main solutions on the table:
1) MySQL 4.0 will store UTF as separate bytes without possibility to change texts using tools like PHPAdmin (MySQL 4.1 and higher is not affected), I have one 1.6 gallery which is running in this mode
2) MySQL 4.0 will store texts transcoded into different encoding - but this will not be possible for languages which is MySQL 4.0 not supporting, maybe some problems regarding to single character encoding in database will appear
3) MySQL 4.0 will not be supported - personnaly I don't prefer this as PWG has very small requirements and is running "almost everywhere" and I thing this should preserve as the main feature

I prefer database variant 1) as this will be running on all types of MySQL today used (4.0 - 5.1).

Correct me, if I'm wrong, add your remarks, add your wishes... :-)
I want to open the discussion.

Thank you for your replies.

Martin

#2 2007-08-09 15:37:20

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

Re: UTF-8 issue

good start!

I agree with solution 1. I'm afraid for mySQL we have to wait until September so most of the team is back to work.
You can work on other items.

Regards

Board footer