Announcement

#1 2003-10-07 23:37:26

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Release 1.3

Release 1.3 is available ! This topic is dedicated to this release and its pre-final versions (beta and RCx). Thanks to use this topic ONLY for informations and bug report about release 1.3. Try to describe bugs best as you can.

I. New features
· code re-written : clearer (for me, at least)
· automated slideshow
· if a sub-category contains a recent picture, then its parent category is displayed as having a recent picture (in the menu)
· posibility to create a cookie not to be forced to authenticate on each visit
· optional display of the number of comments per picture on the thumbnails page
· use of HTML templates (PHP code is completely separated from HTML code)
· if a category doesn't contain any picture but has sub-categories, a picture taken with random (or not, if configured) from each sub-category is displayed.
· search improved : possibility to use keywords, possibility to search on multiple words
· special category with most seen pictures
· special category with most recently added pictures
· possibility to link a picture with several categories, without having the picture twice on the hard disk of the web hosting server
· virtual categories : they are not linked to any directoy, they can contain pictures only by logical links
· mail notification for administrators when a picture is upload by a guest or when a guest post a comment
· possibility to activate or de-activate the history of website visits.
· history improved : display day by day, graphics of number of visits and number of visitors
· possibilité de n'autoriser les commentaires que pour les utilisateurs enregistrés
· possibility to display users comments only once validated by an administrator
· anti-flood system : a user can't post 2 comments without a pause long enough
· users groups : enables you to manage categories access group by group and not only user by user
· permission management modified : by default, a category is "public", if you want the access restricted, you have to make it "private" and manage its access rigths (for a group, or a single user)
· display of last users comments on a single common page

and I still forget many things...

II. History of availability
· sunday, 14th September 2003 : release 1.3 beta : tar.gz or zip
· sunday, 21st September 2003 : release 1.3RC1 : tar.gz or zip
· sunday, 21st September 2003 : script to upgrade database from release 1.2 to release 1.3 upgrade1.2to1.3.zip
· sunday, 5th October 2003 : release 1.3RC2 : tar.gz or zip
· sunday, 12th October 2003 : release 1.3 final : tar.gz or zip

III. Bugs found

(Wednesday, 8th October 2003, no bug found on english forum, many on french forum)

IV. Upgrade database from release 1.2 to 1.3

Warning : if you can, make a backup of you release 1.2 database, the script was tested many times, but you never know !

1. download upgrade script : upgrade1.2to1.3.zip
2. extract file upgrade1.2to1.3.php and upload it in the directory "./include/" of your PhpWebGallery 1.2 installation
3. go the URL (modify it to comply with your installation) http://yourdomain/yourGallery/include/upgr...ade1.2to1.3.php
4. save file ./include/mysql.inc.php on your local computer
5. delete all files of your PhpWebGallery 1.2 installation BUT directory "galleries"
6. upload PhpWebGallery 1.3 files

#2 2003-10-08 19:25:53

alex
Bonn, Germany
2002-09-15

Re: Release 1.3

WoW! This new Version is phenomenal!

Nevertheless i have a question due to the user access rights.
I've transformed my exisiting database with your script from version 1.2 to 1.3.

Now, in global mode 'free access' every person is allowed to see every category by default! - Is there a way to forbid access to every person for every user/group?
(you now, 'oder deny,allow' is simpler to administer as 'order allow,deny'...)
Or is there even a way, to port the user-based access rights of v1.2 to v1.3?

But at least: I didn't find an error until now! (i got several thousand hits, with 3-4 users so far to test version 1.3) It's simply GREAT!!

One suggestion: perhaps it could help several users, if there are more detailed instructions how create a usable user restriction set...

Zorglub, Thanks for this great Gallery!

#3 2003-10-08 19:57:53

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

WoW! This new Version is phenomenal!

thanks for your remarks, they are always welcomed :-)

Nevertheless i have a question due to the user access rights....

Now, in global mode 'free access' every person is allowed to see every category by default! - Is there a way to forbid access to every person for every user/group?

No way man ! (sorry, just a joke, I think that's what Bart Simpson says...) Seriously, yes, but not the same way as release 1.2. I would do that by transforming all categories into private and then you manage permissions for each user, or each group, or each category.

But at least: I didn't find an error until now! (i got several thousand hits, with 3-4 users so far to test version 1.3) It's simply GREAT!!

Yes, release 1.3 was tested with 1.3beta and 1.3RC1 (you can see the length of [Release 1.3 french topic])

One suggestion: perhaps it could help several users, if there are more detailed instructions how create a usable user restriction set...

Good suggestion ! How would you change the existing instructions :

*  PhpWebGallery is able to forbid access to categories. Categories can be "public" or "private". In order to forbid access to a category :
    * 1. Modify category informations (from the "categories" section in tha admin panel) and make it "private".
    * 2. On the page of permissions (for a group or a user) the private category will be shown and you'll be able to authorize access or not.

#4 2003-10-09 02:57:06

zork
uk
2003-02-20

Hi id like to beta test it for you as i have 7000 photos currently running of your original, and have as many still to add..

Regards

#5 2003-10-09 07:33:16

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

just download release 1.3RC2 and install it on your web server

#6 2003-10-11 13:32:47

alex
Bonn, Germany
2002-09-15

hello Zorglub,

is it possible to enhance the function "notify()" in functions.inc.php  so, that also "normal" users are able to receive a notify when a comment is added to a picture?

The problem is, that i won't allow normal users to get the status "admin", which is a precondition to receive notifications. The other way round, normal users won't receive a notify at any time...

Well, i know that this abiliy can (worst case) produce MANY emails. But it's a way, to keep the users visiting the Gallery regularly. - And, several PhpWebGallery-Admins seem to use a personal mail transfer agent. In that case, the number of emails isn't interesting any more...

Is it difficult to implement such a functionality in Version 1.3? - Or what would i have to change in the scripts?

greetings! :D
alex

#7 2003-10-11 14:49:45

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

It's possible easily to notify all users, but the problems is that you have to check if the user has access to the picture before sending a mail. Then, are all your users agreeing receiving a mail for each comment posted ? If you want each user to have a "notification registration" for each category, it's not so easy (new table...). So why not a MOD ? it's a good idea.

#8 2003-10-11 16:01:29

alex
Bonn, Germany
2002-09-15

hmmh, indeed - i didn't think about the necessity to check if a user is allowed to see a picture.   :o
But, i'd receive such a MOD with cheers...  :D

#9 2003-10-11 20:32:58

alex
Bonn, Germany
2002-09-15

if you create a new category , it's set to "visible" and "public" by default (i use free access type, to allow some categories to be seen by everybody).
That is ok - but if i change the category to "private", even the admin user will not see it it anymore. you have to go in the user's list, pick the admin user(s) and change the permissions to allow them access to the added private category.

If you say, that is meant to be so, than it's ok.  But it's kind of confusing for me, because an admin user should be allowed to see all categories at every time independent from the settings of a category.

alex

#10 2003-10-11 23:11:07

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I've been wondering if I should set a category private even for admins, and I thought that yes, an admin is a user who can access administration panel, it doesn't say anything about the categories to display in the public part of PhpWebGallery.

My advise : create a group "admins", link all your admins to this group and allow group "admins" to access all private categories.

#11 2003-10-11 23:59:34

alex
Bonn, Germany
2002-09-15

added admin user to group "admins" - and no admin is available any more...

ok, in detail:
user alex is/was the admin user of phpwebgallery.  now, i wanted to give full access to all categories to all admin users. To make it easier,
- i created a group "admins".
- then added the admin user "alex" to group "admins".
But then:
- i left the admin panel and was asked to log in again.
- i logged in again with same user and password, but in the menu, the section "admin" isn't available any more.

if you then look into the database, you can see that in table "pwg_users" the corresponding user's field "status" is empty. i had  to set it's value manually to "admin" again to get the admin rights for the user again.

i tested it several times, so i don't think of a handling error by myself anymore.
There must be at least one user, who cannot loose it's admin rights since there is no way to control the PWG anymore...

#12 2003-10-12 09:48:56

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I really am sorry ! This bug was discovered on french forum. You can not modify webmaster info in admin panel :-/ For the moment, simply change its status to "admin" in the database directly and it will be OK.

#13 2003-10-12 18:59:10

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Release 1.3 final available. phpwebgallery.net is not updated yet, but you can follow the link in the first post of this topic

#14 2003-10-12 22:50:29

alex
Bonn, Germany
2002-09-15

language file

great work! - really!
and now - what about the language file? - Can we enhance the existing ones, or did you develop a completely new structure in the files?

i'd start asap to translate a file  :) , when i know what file i can take as a basis.

alex

#15 2003-10-12 23:00:52

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

language file

great work! - really!
and now - what about the language file? - Can we enhance the existing ones, or did you develop a completely new structure in the files?

i'd start asap to translate a file  :) , when i know what file i can take as a basis.

alex

use english.php, it must be easier now, I've separate new item for release 1.3

Board footer