Announcement

#1 2003-10-20 20:22:34

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Concurrent Web Galleries

Hi everybody,

This topic may seems irrelevant, but I don't personnaly think so. I'd like to make the list of other good Web Galleries applications. If a user doesn't find all features he expects in PhpWebGallery, he'll be able to discover other very popular (or simply good) applications in the same category.

Before starting, I'd like to be precise in what I call "concurrent" systems : they must be free, under GPL license if possible. A commercial systems is not a concurrent for PhpWebGallery and cannot be compared.

· Gallery [gallery.menalto.com] : a GREAT project ! Many users all over the world, a real team to organize developpement, support, documentation... Basic interface is beautiful. To tell the truth, if I had found this application 2 years ago, I wouldn't have started PhpWebGallery.
  · Coppermine Photo Gallery [coppermine.sourceforge.net] : the creator had disapeared for a moment (he's back, but won't participate for a time) and the application was so good that a new team rised by itself to continue the project ! Another great application

For the moment, Gallery and Coppermine are the two ones I'm thinking about. Maybe some of you saw other very good applications and would like to see them in the list, don't hesitate to post comments. If you want to say something about already quoted project, you also can !

Please, I don't want anything like "PhpWebGallery is the best of all, no need other application". Because 1. it's not true 2. Teams of others project deserve your consideration (they have mine, at least)

#2 2003-10-20 23:17:25

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Concurrent Web Galleries

there are some (read: a lot of) other gallery scripts available - here's what I found out searching sourceforge:[...]

WOW, what a huge list  ;) Did you try all of them ? Can you write a short review about ?

#3 2003-10-21 16:19:41

Cariad Ilmàra

Hello,

Well seeing some hits to the SPiD webserver from *this* site was a surprise. I'm the developper of SPiD (concurrent of PhpWebGallery, free - although I prefer the BSD licence - and far from perfect...) :-?

From my own experience, Gallery works flawlessly, but I think it's non-intuitive (too much click to see a picture, perfectible layout, ...), and Coppermine is really good too although I have less experience with it.

Good luck to z0rglub for the future of PhpWebGallery, and remember that seeing so much different gallery is what Open Source is all about : choice. Every software is different, and this is what makes us strong.

Shameless plug :**broken link**

#4 2003-10-22 23:20:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Good luck to z0rglub for the future of PhpWebGallery, and remember that seeing so much different gallery is what Open Source is all about : choice. Every software is different, and this is what makes us strong.

this is my exact feeling  :D 

#5 2003-10-24 20:00:42

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

OK... I've tried to test Coppermine 1.2 (Release Candidate) as best as I could (but it is evident that I've first tried to find the features presents in PhpWebGallery...). I think the best way I can give my opinion is having 2 distincts paragraphs : goods things  :D and... less good things :(

I. Good things
· Installation steps were clear, perfectly understandable (OK, I'm far from being a novice user).
  · The configuration part is very "full of possiblities" (developer comment : I really like the way configuration parameters are stored in the config table, this is the good way I think... I'll change the way I do for next release of PpWebGallery)
  · Default template is very beautiful
  · User mode / Admin Mode : the idea to fully integrate the admin mode in the "normal" mode is a good thing
  · Rating system (PhpWebGallery has no rating system)
  · Even if I can't see generation time of pages, I got the feeling that it's faster than PhpWebGallery pages (the worst "improvement" of release 1.3)
  · Very good integration of graphical libraries (I was happy to use ImageMagik) -> I've found the generated thumbnails so good (ratio filesize/quality) that I'll take your parameters for my shell scripts :-)

I. Less Good things
· Users passwords are stored in clear (I place this in first and really, I don't like that)
  · System of categories/albums completely separated from physical directories is... hard to understand and very confusing ! Why not making simple : a directory is a category (category = album)
  · Pictures are viewable in only one album (I mean : I can't link a picture to more than 1 album)
  · We are forced to use the web server to generate thumbnails.
  · Javascript everywhere. It is maybe a good things for minor features, but I haven't been able* to rename albums (I did it directly in the database...)
  · No advanced parameter for user profile (language, number of picture to display per page...)

I hope my "review" stays objective enough. To conclude, I would say that Coppermine is more oriented for "community" web gallery (special user category, I think the application was developed this way), while PhpWebGallery is really oriented for a single managed gallery (possibility to let visitors upload pictures, but not really well done for this)

* note : I use GNU/Linux and my web browser is Mozilla Firebird 0.6

#6 2003-11-08 18:32:41

Eric B
2003-10-02

Before I've found PhpWebGallery, I've first tested Gallery [gallery.menalto.com]. It is indeed better than PhpWebGallery in many points, BUT the big limit is the PHP Safe Mode. Gallery cannot work with Safe Mode enabled, which is the case by free providers.
I would say that Gallery is more adapted to a own server or true provider while PhpWebGallery is perfect for free.fr or such hosting.
Some great features of Gallery I wish I had in  PhpWebGallery : 3rd full size photo and EXIF (photograph properties).
This could be a Mod proposal : to give the EXIF properties beside the date and file name when browsing the gallery. About the date, will it be possible to read the file modification date to fill up the database ?

#7 2004-01-26 14:56:25

Gweltas
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon en théorie
2003-12-04

Another beautiful layout gallery :

V Gallery

I like :
- download button
- choice of visualization (fit in page or original size)
- the layout (I personnaly think that phpWG could be really enhanced if we had a real designer involved in this project)
- the sort options
- the alert mod button (if images are automatically added) 

#8 2004-02-15 21:53:23

BelowZero
2004-02-15

Coppermine almost looks like an addon for the well known PHPBB Forum.

Gweltas wrote:

like :
- the layout (I personnaly think that phpWG could be really enhanced if we had a real designer

That's what so great about open source... you can alter the lay-out the way you like it.

#9 2004-02-15 22:43:33

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

BelowZero wrote:

Gweltas wrote:

I like :
- the layout (I personnaly think that phpWG could be really enhanced if we had a real designer

That's what so great about open source... you can alter the lay-out the way you like it.

you're right ! Maybe that's why Gweltas participate to the developpment for next releases :-)

#10 2004-02-16 00:24:34

ixchelmala
California
2004-02-15

Another beautiful layout gallery :

**broken link**

I like :
- download button
- choice of visualization (fit in page or original size)

For the project I'm working on, I also like the download button. Will this be in the next version of phpWG?

The choice of visualization, leads me to think that the entire image is downloaded and the html is resizing it, OR there are physically two different size images on the server.

For my purposes, I have to keep in mind a wide range of viewers:

1) Firstly, our dial-up, time tracked (charged by the hour), and small resolution screened web users the "fit window" setting seems perfect, however, if the entire actual (normal view) file is being downloaded, then it partly defeats the purpose, all image preparing aside. The initial download of the "fit window" will take a long time.

2) Secondly, high speed, large resolutions screen users, and graphic artists who will search out images for wallpapers, and other projects that require higher resolutions, won't have the issue of downloading larger files, but they will be unhappy if they are only limited to 800x600, which is the planned default for our 1500+ images.

-ix

#11 2004-03-05 13:05:56

Chatdo
Montpellier/Paris/Tunis
2004-03-04

Hello All !

You can find a lot of Photo Gallery project developped in PHP **broken link**

PHP Web Gallery is not référenced  8O
It could be nie to do it z0rglub  8-)

I've tried the Big 3 :

Menalto
Coppermine
4Gallery

The 3 are powerful : you can manipulate the pictures on the fly and do a lot of things.
But they are famous only be one thing : Intégration !
Also each one can be a portail mod for PhpNuke, Postnuke, Xoops and phpBB.
Developping an phpwebgallery mod (with installation script) for Invision Board could be a great feature !
There is only an official mod for gallery (very expensive ! )

If u ask me "Why are u using phpWebgallery ?", i'll answer :
The storage of pictures on several servers !
It's a great feature !!!!

#12 2004-03-05 14:55:35

Gweltas
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon en théorie
2003-12-04

Developping an phpwebgallery mod (with installation script) for Invision Board could be a great feature !
There is only an official mod for gallery (very expensive ! )

Ok... I'll do it when with the next release with my phpBB mod... I can't be much different from a phpBB integration! 

#13 2004-03-05 15:38:28

Chatdo
Montpellier/Paris/Tunis
2004-03-04

Ok... I'll do it when with the next release with my phpBB mod... I can't be much different from a phpBB integration!

I think so :)

Invision is becoming the Php Board number one (more options and faster than PhpBB).
Being the First Full fully Integrated Gallery can be great opportunity ...

But "It's urgent to wait" (French translation lol): Invision Board 2.0 is in beta test.
The final release will be avalaible in april.

Thx for your answer Gweltas.

#14 2004-03-05 16:27:24

Gweltas
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon en théorie
2003-12-04

Invision is becoming the Php Board number one (more options and faster than PhpBB).

Don't say that to me!
I'm a phpBB defender :twisted: 

#15 2004-03-05 17:23:54

Chatdo
Montpellier/Paris/Tunis
2004-03-04

PhpBB : Biggest community, more mods, addons, skins ...
Invision : Faster (less db queries) more fonctions.

But let's talk about it in 1 year :)
I don't want to fight, we are not in the good section for these  :-?

'hope u'll develop an Invison mod  8-) 

Board footer