Announcement

#1 2008-09-07 20:10:06

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

Page without smarty

Hi all,

I think we need a simple template which can be used without smarty. I think about installation or errors pages (500 of course).
My idea is to have a page at the beginning of installation that resume all things that must be present : rights on directorories, php (version ?) ...That page will be full of test with red and green light to focus on problem.

For example, the _data ($conf['local_data_dir']) must be writable. But if that directory is not writable we can initialize database.
I think the mysql.inc.php file must be writable. It's very painful specially for beginners to have to copy paste configuration to that file. It's error prone.

That page must be sexy (stripy we need your help!!) because it's the first page users seen when they install ours application.

#2 2008-09-07 20:37:23

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Page without smarty

I agree with you that a "check environment" page would be useful. And this page cannot depend on Smarty (because of _data, this is the problem I notify in [Bugtracker] ticket 854)

#3 2008-09-07 23:24:03

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

nicolas wrote:

I think the mysql.inc.php file must be writable. It's very painful specially for beginners to have to copy paste configuration to that file. It's error prone.

I agree.
To be foolproof, we should check wether the tables exists or not, and try to authenticate follwing the current data before overwriting. If one forgot to remove its install.php form the folder, hacking is so easy...
PS: Not my idea, Drupal does that.

#4 2008-09-08 09:56:59

stripy
Former Piwigo Team
2007-11-26

nicolas wrote:

That page must be sexy (stripy we need your help!!) because it's the first page users seen when they install ours application.

Ok, show me the content and I'll think about something.
Where will be the page ?

#5 2008-09-08 20:35:28

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

stripy wrote:

nicolas wrote:

Ok, show me the content and I'll think about something.
Where will be the page ?

No idea. That page will be used for errors pages : 500, perhaps 404, 403, ...
It's simplier to use pages without  using smarty in theses kinds of situations.

I think I put theses pages on the root of the template-common directory and for the first step I need a error500 page and I will call that template error500.tpl

Last edited by nicolas (2008-09-08 20:37:20)

#6 2008-09-09 20:39:29

stripy
Former Piwigo Team
2007-11-26

nicolas wrote:

No idea. That page will be used for errors pages : 500, perhaps 404, 403, ...
It's simplier to use pages without  using smarty in theses kinds of situations.

I think I put theses pages on the root of the template-common directory and for the first step I need a error500 page and I will call that template error500.tpl

... Uhhh ...

So I understand you need 2 pages ?
1/ one as a checking-list of all-what-is-necessary-to-install-Piwigo-successfully
2/ one that'll be used for errors

Page 1 (checking-list)
=> where would be that page : on Piwigo's website ? in the downloadable .zip (or .tar)
=> An .html or .php static page with text explaining/listing all that is needed to succeed the install ? (a replacement of INSTALL.txt page if in downloadable .zip or replacement of http://phpwebgallery.net/doc/doku.php/fr:installer if on Piwigo's website ?)

Page 2 (errors)
In fact, you want a different model of page for each kind of error ?
error500.tpl
error403.tpl
error404.tpl

And this/these page(s) would just say :

" Not Found
The requested URL ............ was not found on this server"

or

"Internal server error"
with an area explaining the kind of error ?

#7 2008-09-09 22:36:41

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Can I suggest to nicolas to do first the .tpl and .php ,and only towards the end, strippy make the design ? Indeed you will not be able to foresee the content and its layout before.

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Board footer