•  » Which plugins and themes for final release

#1 2008-10-05 14:19:58

laurent.duretz
Piwigo Team
22 France
2004-06-29

Which plugins and themes for final release

Today I decide to download 2.0 RC2.

The 2 firsts thing I saw was : 10 plugins and 5 languages.

I'm working with many web tools like wordpress, myBB, punBB... and each times, I only have 2 languages (max) and 1 plugin (max) in order to show how it works.

What are we going to cut for the final release ?

« Entre Ce que je pense, Ce que je veux dire, Ce que je crois dire, Ce que je dis, Ce que vous avez envie d'entendre, Ce que vous entendez, Ce que vous comprenez... il y a dix possibilités qu'on ait des difficultés à communiquer. Mais essayons quand même... »
[ Bernard Werber ]
This is more difficult if you don't understand French !
[ Laurent ]

#2 2008-10-05 14:24:14

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Which plugins and themes for final release

Concerning languages, the longer the list is, the better. The only condition is that the translation is complete or as near to completion as possible.

Concerning plugins, there are features, developped as plugins, that should be in core. They are plugins just as a matter of architecture choice, but they deserve to be in the core product.

#3 2008-10-05 14:55:03

laurent.duretz
Piwigo Team
22 France
2004-06-29

For the language, I think the final package should be in english only.
If user wants to use french, 2 solutions:
-> Download french pack
-> Download french application on fr.piwigo.org

I don't need more than 2 languages. It's too much kilobytes for my webhosting. (it's extreme isn't it !)

Concerning the plugins you are talking about, if they are features, they should not be in plugin directory. If not, one HelloWorld plugin is usefull to explain how to install/activate/deactivate/uninstall.

Globaly the requirement is : I want to install the packages I need and only those I need.

Maybe one solution is to have a small vs a full installation package in our web pages.

« Entre Ce que je pense, Ce que je veux dire, Ce que je crois dire, Ce que je dis, Ce que vous avez envie d'entendre, Ce que vous entendez, Ce que vous comprenez... il y a dix possibilités qu'on ait des difficultés à communiquer. Mais essayons quand même... »
[ Bernard Werber ]
[ Laurent ]

#4 2008-10-05 18:34:36

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

I'm not agree at all!
We should keep at least english, french, italian and spanish... (I'm not sure that nederland is necessary)

For plugins, We should keep:
- Add Index
- Admin Advice
- Admin Multi View
- C13y
- Event Tracer
- Language Swich
- LocalFiles Editor

P@t

#5 2008-10-05 18:49:14

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

May I suggest to add RV DB Integrity.
8-)

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#6 2008-10-05 19:46:15

laurent.duretz
Piwigo Team
22 France
2004-06-29

P@t wrote:

I'm not agree at all!
We should keep at least english, french, italian and spanish... (I'm not sure that nederland is necessary)

For plugins, We should keep:
- Add Index
- LocalFiles Editor

If piwigo.net become international, we have to center our work on the english language. You say that nederland is not necessary. Nederland is as necessary as french or italian.

One definition of plugin is to provide service "On demand"
About plugins you cite:
-> Add index is not necessary. It should be include with synchronisation functionality
-> Admin advice is not necessary. It's used to help a small part of our customers
-> Admin multi view is not necessary. You can use 2 differents navigator with 2 users.
-> C13y ????? I don't know this plugin at this time
-> Event Tracer is not necessary. Only developpers use it
-> Language Switch is not nesessary. Most of Piwigo galeries has only one language
-> Local files editor is not necessary. This plugin is used by users who want to custom their templates without Vim or Emacs (for barbarians)

VDigital talk about RV DB integrity. This plugin is not neccessary. PWG is powerful. Database is not corrupted ;-)

Distributing plugins with web application is like distribute IE with Windows.

[ Bernard Werber ]
[ Laurent ]

#7 2008-10-05 20:46:59

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

If you go in that way Laurent, I am not sure Synchro is needed as well.
Does Internet need pictures? Do pictures need Internet?
Plugins could be removed.
Themes could be removed.
Languages could be removed by the webmaster.

What is the best?

8-)

Note: Removing IE for Windows is risky. Removing some of these functions above from Piwigo is perfectly normal and safe.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#8 2008-10-05 21:00:24

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

VDigital wrote:

Themes could be removed.

An graphical interface in the admin part to activate/Deactivate and Delete (to even install)

template/themes

and

Languages

would be can be one more

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#9 2008-10-05 21:14:23

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

ddtddt wrote:

An graphical interface in the admin part to activate/Deactivate and Delete (to even install)

template/themes

and

Languages

would be can be one more

But risky this time.
;-)

8-)

#10 2008-10-05 21:27:10

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

VDigital wrote:

But risky this time.
;-)

Not these days Ci yes but for the future less to risk that suppression by ftp

Possibility of preventing the admin that certain user uses theme or language.

To propose to him to reallocate with the user, theme and language by defect

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#11 2008-10-05 23:13:18

stripy
Former Piwigo Team
2007-11-26

May I say that I think if Piwigo wants to go international, we need to have as much foreign langages as possible.
Having them already installed can only make things easy for the users.
Personnally, I naturally discard an application compared to another one that has everything ready to use.

It is the same for the plugins : you know, by experience, which ones the developpers need, and also which ones are the most downloaded or asked for in the forums.
Having them set by default will be really appreciated by the newbies.

#12 2008-10-06 12:00:38

laurent.duretz
Piwigo Team
22 France
2004-06-29

VDigital wrote:

If you go in that way Laurent, I am not sure Synchro is needed as well.
Does Internet need pictures? Do pictures need Internet?
Plugins could be removed.
Themes could be removed.

What is the best?

8-)

The idea of this discussion come from this article where PWG is considerated as "usine à gaz".

To answer your comments, synchro is needed because you can not manage images without collecting information first.
Internet partially need pictures because pictures are part of communication system.
Images doesn't need internet, they only need one support between many. Photographer chooses his support.

My viewpoint is (but I don't know if it's the best):
-> Do it simple
-> Let the user choose the plugins he needs, don't impose them

Stripy says that newbies appreciates a default collection of plugins and themes and he is right.
I complete saying that experts appreciates to not surcharge the downloads.

This is why I suggest a basic pack vs a full pack.

Last edited by laurent.duretz (2008-10-06 12:01:02)

[ Bernard Werber ]
[ Laurent ]

#13 2008-10-06 12:32:15

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

I like your idea of basic pack vs full package.

In the other hand we started in April-June with only one button on our web site to download Piwigo, I did not want Mathias has to change all points now.

But it could be done later, we have to handle that point too.

8-)

[hs]About the first link, we can spend some time to discuss about how to promote by comparison, but I didn't want (this gallery has one author and it is normal to see his solution has the best one, however I recognize qualities of it). Does that means "usine à gaz" for us? I don't think so.[/hs]

8-)

#14 2008-10-06 12:41:15

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

laurent.duretz wrote:

To answer your comments, synchro is needed because you can not manage images without collecting information first.

This is another topic, but ron and z0rglub have proved we can do without it.

More I have in mind another simple trick to remove our constraint (whilst synchro functionality available): a future improvement.

8-)

8-)

#15 2008-10-06 12:51:18

laurent.duretz
Piwigo Team
22 France
2004-06-29

VDigital wrote:

laurent.duretz wrote:

This is another topic, but ron and z0rglub have proved we can do without it.

More I have in mind another simple trick to remove our constraint (whilst synchro functionality available): a future improvement.

8-)

Yes you are right.

Doing synchronisation through web services could be very interesting !

[ Bernard Werber ]
[ Laurent ]

•  » Requests
  •  » Which plugins and themes for final release

Board footer