•  » Engine
  •  » Improving the "add tags to photo" form

#16 2010-02-23 14:13:12

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Improving the "add tags to photo" form

My current opinion : for Piwigo 2.1, let's go with FCBK. Then we will implement something like WordPress + improvement proposed by nicolas.

#17 2010-02-23 14:21:58

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

plg wrote:

My current opinion : for Piwigo 2.1, let's go with FCBK. Then we will implement something like WordPress + improvement proposed by nicolas.

And what about batch managements problem with FCBK, invoke by rvelices  ?

Last edited by nicolas (2010-02-23 14:25:18)

#18 2010-02-23 14:42:11

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

rvelices wrote:

By looking more closely, it seems that none is ready to be used by us in an "optimized manner".
Unfortunately
- we cannot give FCBK directly a javascript object with all the available tags. I'm thinking to the caddie admin page in unit mode where we have N pictures and we have to pick from the same list
- we cannot tell FCBK not to create a new tag (by typing any text and pressing enter). I'm thinking at the search page on the public side
- I tried to play with it locally on an html page and some display bugs appeared when I changed the available tag list...

With my test on FCBK 2.6.1 (released on 15. December, 2009)

In select1 field, I have set "newel : false" => No way to create a new tag.
select1 and select2 are using the same list of tags.

Here is the POST content:

Code:

Array
(
    [select1] => Array
        (
            [0] => 145
        )

[select2] => Array
        (
            [0] => 144
            [1] => Another new tag
        )

[addTags] => Send
)

Code:

$("#select1").fcbkcomplete({
            json_url: "fetched.txt",
            cache: true,
            filter_case: true,
            filter_hide: true,
            firstselected: true,
            filter_selected: true,
            newel: false
          });

$("#select2").fcbkcomplete({
            json_url: "fetched.txt",
            cache: true,
            filter_case: true,
            filter_hide: true,
            firstselected: true,
            filter_selected: true,
            newel: true        
          });

I've used jQuery 1.3.2.

I admit I sometimes see bugs like "Loïc" 2 times in the suggest list.

#19 2010-03-06 23:19:10

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

In [Subversion] r5067, I have implemented FCBKcomplete for admin/picture_modify only. I've used a 2.7 + small bug fix and not a 2.7.1 (which doesn't work in my browser).

#20 2010-03-19 14:17:04

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I've propagated the new widget FCKB to batch mode.

I don't know if I met the same issues than rvelices, but indeed FCKB was not working efficiently with multiple instances on the same page. To fix that, instead of:

Code:

$(".tags").fcbkcomplete(

I wrote

Code:

$("#tags-5082, #tags-5080, #tags-5081, #tags-5079, #tags-5071").fcbkcomplete(

And it works nice then :-)

#21 2010-03-19 14:43:42

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

I should try it with 2011 tags (126953 associations)

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#22 2010-03-19 14:55:12

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

VDigital wrote:

I should try it with 2011 tags (126953 associations)

The number of associations has no impact. But indeed 2011 tags is a lot (and the new widget is really better if you have 2k tags).

I have 137 tags only and it works really fast.

#23 2010-09-29 02:58:09

bhlevca
2010-09-29

Hi,

I am a recent user of piwigo. Overall, I like the software and I like equally its very active community.

Regarding this subject I have some comments to make.

I use Lightroom and Digikam as my photo processing tools in my workflow. I do everything there  including rating and keywords/tags.

I don't know if piwigo should import the ratings from the metadata fields, but  I think that importing the keywords/tags from the metadata is a must.   
Synchronizing piwigo  database with the metadata from the pictures would make management in the future easier.  Imagine that we need to create a new piwigo site or something wrong happens with the current one. Restoring all that information from the files will act as a backup.

Now on a second though I think that ratings should be synchronized too.  I am rating my pictures in order to select them for various purposes: "Best Of", "Web", For Print", etc. Metadata is there for us to use and storing all the information in one place it will make it less likely to lose it. This is one of the reasons I use DNG and Lightroom and I did not go with Bibble 5, which although has a Linux version, does not support DNG and stores metadata in sidecars.

Lightroom supports a hierarchical keyword system and it exports it in a text file like

Code:

Country_1
                RegionA
                             CityA
                             CityB
                RegionB
                             CityD
Country2
                RegionA

What is also nice about it that it can be edited with a text editor, imported and exported. There are companies which are selling standardized hierarchical tags and they comply with this format.

With all due respect the proposed format here, like a stream of unrelated keywords is anachronistic, impractical and hard to use. It will be more natural to have  a hierarchy as most things and living on this planet has.

The method of input is less important for the beginning, but the tag/keyword system has to be done right.  A tree like editor, with obviously multiple roots would be the best. Export/import functions for interoperability with other photographic tools  is also very important, and last, but not least synchronization with metadata.

#24 2010-09-29 03:01:10

bhlevca
2010-09-29

plg wrote:

But indeed 2011 tags is a lot (and the new widget is really better if you have 2k tags).

2011 is a lot, but it is not uncommon. There are libraries with hierarchical keywords sold out there with 10-20000 words.

#25 2010-10-03 00:41:07

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi bhlevca and welcome to Piwigo forums,

I extract 3 important points in your post:

1) managing Piwigo tags in a hierarchy
2) importing a tag hierarchy from metadata
3) importing rating from metadata

First of all, you say:

Synchronizing piwigo  database with the metadata from the pictures would make [...]

but Piwigo already has this feature, you can configure Piwigo to transform IPTC keywords into tags.

This question comes back from time to time since 2006 when tags were implemented in Piwigo version 1.6.0. My opinion is that Piwigo already has a very powerful system to manage hierarchies: categories.

The photo organizers you list, Lightroom and Digikam, are designed for advanced or professional users and not for sharing purpose. If you take a look at web applications in general, designed for everyday users, you will hardly find hierarchical tags. Yes you will find section/sub-section/sub-sub-section and tag1+tag2+tag3 but not tags places/USA/California/SanFrancisco + animals/mammals/dog.

What makes Piwigo specific and able to use categories to manage hierarchical tags: the ability to associate a photo to several categories (most web applications can only associate an item to a single category and to multiple tags).

Let's consider you have a photo with the following tags:
* places/USA/California/SanFrancisco
* animals/mammals/dog

I don't know how these hierarchical tags are stored in IPTC metadata, but that's not really the problem. I propose several solution:

a) only keep the last level of tag: tags SanFrancisco + dog
b) use each tag level as a tag: tags places + USA + California + SanFrancisco + animals + mammals + dog
c) transform the tag hierarchy into a single tag: tags places:USA:California:SanFrancisco + animals:mammals:dog
d) generate the category hierarchy

I personally really like browsing my photo gallery with tags, so I would consider solution b as the most interesting. This way I could see all photos tagged SanFrancisco + animals in just 3 clicks and the photo of this dog in SanFrancisco streets would be in the result set.

This is good idea :-) we'll have to see how Lightroom/Digikam stores the rating in the photo metadata before converting it into a vote from the administrator user. Can you create a feature request in the bugtracker for this?

#26 2010-10-03 17:16:12

bhlevca
2010-09-29

You got it right !

but Piwigo already has this feature, you can configure Piwigo to transform IPTC keywords into tags.

I did not see this feature. I need to dig deeper to find it.

What makes Piwigo specific and able to use categories to manage hierarchical tags: the ability to associate a photo to several categories (most web applications can only associate an item to a single category and to multiple tags).

Yes, I understand that and I think that it a cool feature, although I would rather use it for sharing the pictures between 2 albums/categories. For example: I have a set of pictures taken in Vacation, but I want to share them in my Mountaineering album because they were taken on Mont Blanc ( this is actually a true example :) )

However, being able to import tags from digiKam/Lightroom will save me a lot of work when building the site. I can then perform searches and find all the pictures matching that tag even if they sit in different categories/Albums. Just to give you an example look at what Flicker does.

Let's consider you have a photo with the following tags:
* places/USA/California/SanFrancisco
* animals/mammals/dog

d) generate the category hierarchy

I like d)  because it will include b) as well. Each photo will be tagged with all the tags from the hierarchy.  This way when yoy search for Mountain you will get pictures from the Rockies, Alps, Charpatians, Himalaya, but when you search by Chamonix you will get only the Alps pictures.

In addition a tree like tag management make sense, you can find already made tree out there and being  editable you can build upon them. I addition these will be standardized.

This is good idea :-) we'll have to see how Lightroom/Digikam stores the rating in the photo metadata before converting it into a vote from the administrator user.

Can you create a feature request in the bugtracker for this?

Sure no problem.

#27 2010-11-10 18:48:47

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

bhlevca reported [Bugtracker] ticket 2023

#28 2011-04-25 13:28:24

Jose

Hello, Piwigo crew.

I just started a few days ago using piwigo for my image gallery.
It works fine in almost every aspect, but I've come to a problem with tag editor (fcbkcomplete).

First, it doesn't work if I leave it as it comes in your code; I have to add the element 'key' to the array of tags, making it like this:

while ($row = pwg_db_fetch_assoc($result))
  {
    array_push(
      $taglist,
      array(
        'caption' => $row['tag_name'],
        'key' => $row['tag_name'],
        'value' => '~~'.$row['tag_id'].'~~'
        )
      );
  }

This fixes the problem in case there are no tags already attached to the image. With the tag list empty, I begin writing and the matching tags appear correctly under the textbox.

But if there are already tags assigned to the image, or after I assign the first tag, it doesn't work anymore. No tags are shown in the dropdownlist, and i have to type the word completely to add it to the image.

Is it just me, or are there any others with the same issue?
And, is there any way to fix it?

Thank you very much.

#29 2011-04-25 14:07:35

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi Jose,

Which version of Piwigo are you currently running?

#30 2011-04-25 16:50:59

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

Jose wrote:

Is it just me, or are there any others with the same issue?
And, is there any way to fix it?

This bug have been fixed in Piwigo 2.2.1, but there is still an issue if tags already exists...

P@t

•  » Engine
  •  » Improving the "add tags to photo" form

Board footer