VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: New architecture for themes

plg wrote:

VDigital wrote:

1 - Template-extension

I wonder if it's really necessary to have template-extension + theme inheritance at the same time. It fills the same function, it may confuse users.

The only advantages of template-extension are:

- Localfiles Editor support (that could be change with no impact on existing galleries),
- Optional URL keyword filtering based on standard keywords or on permalinks (I am a fan of that one even I don't see many other galleries using it).

Removal of template-extension today is again stressful for old users.
Could we say "keeping template-extension in 2.1" but it is going on deprecated?
Recommendation: Use them to create your own theme OR transfer to ...

Give us time to think about these files and how to KISS(*) ever their filtering usage.

Agree?

(*): KISS stands for the design principle "keep it simple and stupid".

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#17 2010-03-13 10:49:24

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

MultiView Controller is down.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#18 2010-03-13 13:39:57

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

VDigital wrote:

MultiView Controller is down.

Fixed: [Subversion] r5128

P@t

#19 2010-03-13 13:42:17

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

VDigital wrote:

Removal of template-extension today is again stressful for old users.
Could we say "keeping template-extension in 2.1" but it is going on deprecated?
Recommendation: Use them to create your own theme OR transfer to ...

I'm agree with that... template extensions work fine with new system of template/themes.
We will remove them for 2.2

We just have to change "bound template" to "bound theme" in template extension admin pannel...
But I wait to know if we keep gettext for 2.1 to change that.

P@t

#20 2010-03-13 14:35:03

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Yes, I full agree, and thanks for MultiView.

8-)

#21 2010-03-13 17:54:54

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

plg wrote:

The "default" theme is really "simple". What about using the content of "clear" instead? (then we remove "clear" of course)

Yes! There are few css rules for clear theme...

I will move all css rules from menubar.css, content.css, thumbnails.css, picture.css, default-layout.css and default-colors.css to theme.css to keep only one file.
Then I will merge theme.css from clear to default... upgrade process will migrate clear user theme to default.

P@t

#22 2010-03-14 00:47:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

P@t wrote:

I will move all css rules from menubar.css, content.css, thumbnails.css, picture.css, default-layout.css and default-colors.css to theme.css to keep only one file.

Excellent! Instead of 12 CSS files, now I load 4 CSS files (not-ie.css, print.css, default/theme.css, clear/theme.css)

#23 2010-03-14 09:04:16

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

ddtddt wrote:

I think it's a good idea if we can simplified the structure Piwigo

This can allow the release of more theme

I would also consider more incitative expressions, as these seem to be dedicated to seasoned designers vs "simple" webmasters.

(from this page : http://piwigo.org/contribute)

My galleries : Photos, Watercolours, Recipes

#24 2010-03-16 21:38:31

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

The utility of the local-layout was for the cases where the width/height of the thumbnails were more than the default values of 140px defined in the css. For example I would put in th elocal layout width:180px and it would go automatically in all themes...

#25 2010-03-16 21:47:46

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

rvelices wrote:

The utility of the local-layout was for the cases where the width/height of the thumbnails were more than the default values of 140px defined in the css. For example I would put in th elocal layout width:180px and it would go automatically in all themes...

I understand, but I also think that all themes can't be modified exactly the same way for this purpose.

The first question is: do you really agree that all themes are available to users?

My feeling is that a webmaster want a single theme (maybe 2 in a few cases). Considering this, the local-layout.css can be replaced by a "child" theme, with only a single rule in the theme.css file. If you want to enable 2 themes, you will have to create 2 child themes.

I understand it might seem complicated to do the same thing twice, but I think most of the time, the webmaster wants a single theme, so the operation has to be done only once.

#26 2010-03-16 22:03:57

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

plg wrote:

My feeling is that a webmaster want a single theme (maybe 2 in a few cases).

+1

plg wrote:

Considering this, the local-layout.css can be replaced by a "child" theme, with only a single rule in the theme.css file. If you want to enable 2 themes, you will have to create 2 child themes.

But in case I have 2 themes, they might be completely different, and I'm not sure what you refer as "child themes": will they have to depend from the same parent, or can they descend/inherit/whatever from completely different parents.

Last edited by tosca (2010-03-16 22:04:16)

#27 2010-03-16 22:12:24

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

tosca wrote:

plg wrote:

Considering this, the local-layout.css can be replaced by a "child" theme, with only a single rule in the theme.css file. If you want to enable 2 themes, you will have to create 2 child themes.

But in case I have 2 themes, they might be completely different, and I'm not sure what you refer as "child themes": will they have to depend from the same parent, or can they descend/inherit/whatever from completely different parents.

OK, that was not very clear, sorry.

Let's say you want to make "dark" and "grum dark" available, but you want a slight modification on each of them.

1) create "My dark", which has "dark" as parent, and contains only a tiny theme.css file
2) create "My grum dark", which has "grum dark" as parent, and contains only a tiny theme.css file

(for your information, I'm currently implementing the activation/deactivation of themes for 2.1)

#28 2010-03-16 22:21:51

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

plg wrote:

OK, that was not very clear, sorry.

I'd rather say I didn't understand everything from the beginning ;-)

plg wrote:

1) create "My dark", which has "dark" as parent, and contains only a tiny theme.css file
2) create "My grum dark", which has "grum dark" as parent, and contains only a tiny theme.css file

But that is quite clear, thanks.

#29 2010-03-16 23:51:39

rub
Former Piwigo Team
Lille
2005-08-26

rvelices wrote:

Very good remark.

But it's clear that theme system must be the easiest possible.

Modify all themes are a specific requirement also if a simple requirement.
It's broke inheritance method.

So, use a (personal) plugin could be a good solution. Futermore, with this method, it's easy to apply the css rules for a part of theme.

What's the best with the new architecture, several local files or new plugins (plugin modify_all_theme)?

#30 2010-03-17 09:56:26

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

tosca wrote:

plg wrote:

My feeling is that a webmaster want a single theme (maybe 2 in a few cases).

+1

-10^10 !
My feeling is that you can NOT predict what an user will do with it : the power and the reputation of piwigo was that we can do a lot of things simply. That's the form of the problem
Now to talk about "le fond du probleme" :
I don't think that the new system is bad because it does not take into account of local css : as it was said, we can do it with plugins or maybe a futur feature

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

•  » Engine
  •  » New architecture for themes

Board footer