Announcement

#1 2010-06-27 11:19:49

cmrabet
Guest

Make categories physical

Hi Guys,

Is there anyway to link already existing virtual categories to new created ftp directories?

The thing is that I created man categories, filled with hundreds of pictures, added commentaries, etc.. before noticing that in order to enable users upload, the categories must exist physically, so it would be really a paint starting from scratch.

Thanks.

 

#2 2010-06-27 12:31:25

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04
17680

Re: Make categories physical

Virtual categories are not "associated" to something.

But Virtual categories can be moved inside any physical categories or virtual categories.
Anyway all pictures can be associated to any physical categories or virtual categories.

Is that covering your point or not?

(If you don't know how to move a virtual category or how to associate picture to a category, we could explain later even if it is probably already explained somewhere).


Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

Offline

 

#3 2010-06-27 14:04:02

cmrabet
Guest

Re: Make categories physical

VDigital wrote:

Virtual categories are not "associated" to something.

But Virtual categories can be moved inside any physical categories or virtual categories.
Anyway all pictures can be associated to any physical categories or virtual categories.

Is that covering your point or not?

(If you don't know how to move a virtual category or how to associate picture to a category, we could explain later even if it is probably already explained somewhere).

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, I know how to associate categories to other categories, and pictures to a certain category. Actually I had to  do so in order to have a tree of subcategories into categories and such. The thing is that I have not found any option to do so with categories to a physical one (keeping all the descriptions and pictures sort order, etc..)

I would appreciate any guide or help on this.

Thank you very much.

 

#4 2010-06-27 14:26:32

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23
567

Re: Make categories physical

cmrabet wrote:

The thing is that I have not found any option to do so with categories to a physical one (keeping all the descriptions and pictures sort order, etc..)

As VDigital said, there is no such thing as "virtual category association".

VDigital wrote:

Virtual categories are not "associated" to something.

But Virtual categories can be moved inside any physical categories or virtual categories.
Anyway all pictures can be associated to any physical categories or virtual categories.

But you can:
- move virtual categories under a physical category parent (screencopy 1)
- associate all the pictures belonging to a category (virtual or physical) to another category (virtual or physical too) (screencopy 2)


My galleries : Photos, Watercolours, Recipes

Offline

 

#5 2010-06-27 14:37:47

cmrabet
Guest

Re: Make categories physical

tosca wrote:

cmrabet wrote:

The thing is that I have not found any option to do so with categories to a physical one (keeping all the descriptions and pictures sort order, etc..)

As VDigital said, there is no such thing as "virtual category association".

VDigital wrote:

Virtual categories are not "associated" to something.

But Virtual categories can be moved inside any physical categories or virtual categories.
Anyway all pictures can be associated to any physical categories or virtual categories.

But you can:
- move virtual categories under a physical category parent (screencopy 1)
- associate all the pictures belonging to a category (virtual or physical) to another category (virtual or physical too) (screencopy 2)

So basically what you are saying is that I need to create again all my virtual-categories tree as an FTP categories tree, then go through category to category associating all its pictures to the new FTP ones..., right?

And after that, I have to add again all the descriptions to the new FTP categories, right?

Regards

 

#6 2010-06-27 14:47:26

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04
17680

Re: Make categories physical

cmrabet wrote:

So basically what you are saying is that I need to create again all my virtual-categories tree as an FTP categories tree, then go through category to category associating all its pictures to the new FTP ones..., right?

And after that, I have to add again all the descriptions to the new FTP categories, right?

Regards

False.

Just try:

Admin > Category > Move

Select a virtual category to move
New parent category

You will keep all descriptions, comments, every things.


Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

Offline

 

#7 2010-06-27 15:08:22

cmrabet
Guest

Re: Make categories physical

VDigital wrote:

cmrabet wrote:

So basically what you are saying is that I need to create again all my virtual-categories tree as an FTP categories tree, then go through category to category associating all its pictures to the new FTP ones..., right?

And after that, I have to add again all the descriptions to the new FTP categories, right?

Regards

False.

Just try:

Admin > Category > Move

Select a virtual category to move
New parent category

You will keep all descriptions, comments, every things.

Ok thanks. I did that, I moved my parent virtual category to a new FTP parent directory and I did a synchronization. However when I enter using my FTP client to the new directory I see no pictures there, no subdirectories created for the subcategories.

regards,

 

#8 2010-06-27 15:15:09

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04
17680

Re: Make categories physical

Forget the physical side, we are speaking about virtual categories.
Pictures aren't moved because we are in a virtual logic.

Visit your gallery, and see what people can see.


Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

Offline

 

#9 2010-06-27 15:32:07

cmrabet
Guest

Re: Make categories physical

VDigital wrote:

Forget the physical side, we are speaking about virtual categories.
Pictures aren't moved because we are in a virtual logic.

Visit your gallery, and see what people can see.

I think we are not understanding each other.

I have:


Category1

And subcategories as follows:

Category1/Subcategory1
Category1/Subcategory2
Category1/Subcategory3
Category2/Subcategory1/Sub-Subcategory1
Category2/Subcategory1/Sub-Subcategory2
Category2/Subcategory3/Sub-Subcategory1
etc...

So I have just created 1 directory in the FTP: Category1.

I moved the virtual category1 to the physical directory Category1.

Then all the subcategories show up under the new one in the MOVE section.

When I log int I can see the upload option but only to "category1", no subcategories are shown.

So, my question is: Do I need to create and associate a directory for every single subcategory or is it enough just with the parent one?

I say this, because under Category/Manage/Options I can see the give permissions to upload only for the parent category, for the subcategories the checkbox is not shown.

Regards,

 

#10 2010-06-27 15:51:40

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23
567

Re: Make categories physical

cmrabet wrote:

I moved the virtual category1 to the physical directory Category1.

Then all the subcategories show up under the new one in the MOVE section.

When I log int I can see the upload option but only to "category1", no subcategories are shown.

Is there anything in these subcategories, or are they empty?

cmrabet wrote:

So, my question is: Do I need to create and associate a directory for every single subcategory or is it enough just with the parent one?

No. It works as a tree.

cmrabet wrote:

I say this, because under Category/Manage/Options I can see the give permissions to upload only for the parent category, for the subcategories the checkbox is not shown.

Your subcategories are virtual, and the (this kind of) upload works with physical categories only.

A link to your gallery (by MP if you like) will allow us to see things more easily. It'll be easier also if you register to the forum, instead of posting as a guest.


My galleries : Photos, Watercolours, Recipes

Offline

 

#11 2010-06-27 19:39:05

cmrabet
Guest

Re: Make categories physical

tosca wrote:

cmrabet wrote:

I moved the virtual category1 to the physical directory Category1.

Then all the subcategories show up under the new one in the MOVE section.

When I log int I can see the upload option but only to "category1", no subcategories are shown.

Is there anything in these subcategories, or are they empty?

cmrabet wrote:

So, my question is: Do I need to create and associate a directory for every single subcategory or is it enough just with the parent one?

No. It works as a tree.

cmrabet wrote:

I say this, because under Category/Manage/Options I can see the give permissions to upload only for the parent category, for the subcategories the checkbox is not shown.

Your subcategories are virtual, and the (this kind of) upload works with physical categories only.

A link to your gallery (by MP if you like) will allow us to see things more easily. It'll be easier also if you register to the forum, instead of posting as a guest.

I know my subcategories are virtual! that's the point.

If you remember my issue is just being able to upload pictures for users. But for this a physical directory must exist.

Ok, no problem, but I don't have just a category, I also have subcategories and sub-subcategories. So I wanted to move all of them, so they can match a physical directory, so I can upload.

Then you told me that only the parent is necessary, ok....but when I did so, upload is only able to the parent (the one that really has a directory).

Then I tell you this, and you answer that of course I can not do this, because the others are virtual !!!!! hello?????

 

#12 2010-06-27 20:01:49

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23
567

Re: Make categories physical

A category can be either physical or virtual, and its type cannot be changed.

To display the pictures, you can organise the categories as you wish, but this doesn't change the way the pictures are stored in categories, nor the categories types.

You can upload pictures to physical categories using:
- FTP * synchronization,
- or the upload link you can add to categories you've set up as uploadable for users.

You can upload pictures to virtual categories using:
- the Upload Photos function that is in the admin interface, and is allowed to admins only
- pLoader, that requires the user to download the tool pLoader on its computer; the plugin [extension by plg] Community is required to give access to users other than the admin.

Hope this will clarify the subject.


My galleries : Photos, Watercolours, Recipes

Offline

 

#13 2010-06-27 20:08:29

cmrabet
Guest

Re: Make categories physical

tosca wrote:

A category can be either physical or virtual, and its type cannot be changed.

To display the pictures, you can organise the categories as you wish, but this doesn't change the way the pictures are stored in categories, nor the categories types.

You can upload pictures to physical categories using:
- FTP * synchronization,
- or the upload link you can add to categories you've set up as uploadable for users.

You can upload pictures to virtual categories using:
- the Upload Photos function that is in the admin interface, and is allowed to admins only
- pLoader, that requires the user to download the tool pLoader on its computer; the plugin [extension by plg] Community is required to give access to users other than the admin.

Hope this will clarify the subject.

Hi thanks.

I understand the difference.

But my issue is that I have created many virtual categories ans subcategories, that are already filled with thousands of pictures. So my original question was how to convert, turn, or switch them now to physical in order to be able to enable upload for users, without having to delete everything and start everything from scratch (including uploading all the pictures again).l

So again, is there any way to turn my current virtual categories and subcategories (with their pictures) to physical ones so I can upload?

Thanks.

 

#14 2010-06-27 21:29:23

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04
17680

Re: Make categories physical

cmrabet wrote:

But my issue is that I have created many virtual categories ans subcategories, that are already filled with thousands of pictures. So my original question was how to convert, turn, or switch them now to physical in order to be able to enable upload for users, without having to delete everything and start everything from scratch (including uploading all the pictures again).l

So again, is there any way to turn my current virtual categories and subcategories (with their pictures) to physical ones so I can upload?

You are looking in the wrong way. What is your real need?
You need to be able to upload in virtual categories, and that's coming soon (I have to check this point with plg).


It is more complexe to make virtual categories as physical than accept upload in virtual categories.
You can have a picture linked to several virtual categories which one must have the real picture?
Don't forget that the picture is already on the server, why we have to move it then?

Think to it, and we will come soon with answers.
;-)


Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

Offline

 

#15 2010-06-27 22:21:59

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04
17680

Re: Make categories physical

plg wrote that it should be in 2.2 but the planning for 2.2 is not available at this time.

If I have time to do it (external constraints), I will wrote something to do it in a minimal version but NOT before mid-July and not after end-July.
Is that suit you enough?


Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

github twitter newsletter Donate Piwigo.org © 2002-2021 · Contact