Announcement

#1 2010-12-27 17:58:51

dangaio
2010-12-27

SMTP fail to send notificaiton with 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS

I have successfully installed Piwigo.

When ever I have a new user subscribe, I don't get any email notification that a new user has subscribed.

When I try to subscribe a user for notification in the Admin>User>Notification>Subscribe section, it fails with the following:

* Error when sending email to user [user@email.address].
    * User user [user@email.address] not added to the subscription list.
    * 1 mail has not been sent.
    * 1 user not updated.

I have configured the config_default.inc.php file under the smtp section to include the following:

// smtp configuration
// (work if fsockopen function is allowed for smtp port)
// smtp_host: smtp server host
//  if null, regular mail function is used
//   format: hoststring[:port]
//   exemple: smtp.pwg.net:21
// smtp_user/smtp_password: user & password for smtp identication
$conf['smtp_host'] = 'smtp.gmail.com:25';
$conf['smtp_user'] = 'myuseraccount';
$conf['smtp_password'] = 'mypassword';

For the smtp_host line, I have tried smtp.gmail.com:25, 465, etc and I still get the same error.

Looking at the error logs, I notice the following:

[Mon Dec 27 09:36:02 2010] [error] [client 192.168.25.1] PHP Warning:  Unable to send e-mail. Error message reported by the SMTP server: "530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. v19sm17897230wfh.12\r\n" in /var/www/lexstgo/include/class_smtp_mail.inc.php on line 63, referer: http://lexstgo.no-ip.org/admin.php?page … =subscribe

I have looked through the forum, performed searches, and still can't find a way to correct this...

Any help will be appreciated.

#2 2010-12-27 18:21:11

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

Re: SMTP fail to send notificaiton with 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS

TLS protocol is an encrypted protocol allowing to communicate with securised servers.
gmail smtp server seems to need TLS protocol. But for now, this protocol is not implemented in Piwigo.

You can :
- try to work with the regular mail function (using the PHP mail() function, if your hoster allows to use it)
- try to use another smtp server (your hoster may have a smtp server ; if your gallery is hosted at home, you can try with your provider's smtp server)

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#3 2010-12-27 21:35:49

dangaio
2010-12-27

Ok, I have changed the smtp settings to use my ISP account.

It appears that it is working because I don't get any entries in the error logs anymore but, I still don't get any messages sent when a new user register with the site.

Isn't there any documentation that can explain how to set up this portion up (an Administrator guide)?

I would like to be notified when a new user register. It would be nice to be able to edit the email that will be sent to the user notifying them of the rules/welcoming them to the site.  I would like them to be as a guest user until they are validated.

How do I do the "click on this link to validate/confirm the user"?

I have been at this since yesterday. I looked in the forum, the faq, and I can't find a proper answer. I have found some post of people having similar problems but no replies, answers, and some are  even resolved w/o an answer.

I would like to get this up and running completely so I can start hosting my pictures of wildlife and locations that I have seen/visited.

Last edited by dangaio (2010-12-27 21:38:28)

#4 2010-12-28 08:31:38

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

Theses limitations about smtp are not explained anywhere... (in my case, it's the first I see someone trying to connect to a secure smtp server ^^)

User management system probably need to be improved with new functionalities. You can take a look on the plugin [extension by Eric] UserAdvManager, allowing to tune the user management system more than Piwigo's core actually does.

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#5 2012-02-22 21:11:43

josifbg
Translation Team
2011-06-29

Iam really sorry for wakening the old subject but i really need to know is there any improvements planed in the next releases of Piwigo? As looks like that most of the smtp server nowadays are using secure smtp`s

Thanks in advance!

#6 2012-03-06 12:20:05

Awikatchikaen
2008-10-02

Hello,

I'm looking for the feature too !
I've my piwigo intance on my own server and want to use the gmail smtp.

thanks

#7 2012-10-22 19:00:46

billygoat32
2012-10-18

Count me in on wanting to use gmail and port 587 for smtp relay!  Would love to have this working, would donate.

Board footer