Announcement

#1 2011-06-24 18:57:05

nicksan
NYC, USA
2011-06-05

How to set representative photo for Parent Album

Piwigo Team,

How can I set the representative photo for the Parent Album. I don't want random images.

Thanks
Nick

#2 2011-06-24 19:06:23

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: How to set representative photo for Parent Album

open any photo in your gallery, for example http://www.nicknphoto.com/galleries/pic … category/2 and click on the "modify information" icon, you're now on the administration screen of the photo. Scroll down to the "Representation of albums" section. Choose any album from the right side list and move it to the right side list by clicking on the "«" button.

This way, any photo can represent any album.

#3 2011-06-24 19:09:08

nicksan
NYC, USA
2011-06-05

Yes, indeed!

I would have never figured this out. I looked EVERYWHERE...and could not find it.

Thanks
Nick

#4 2011-06-24 19:11:27

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Please suggest a better place for this feature :-)

#5 2011-06-24 19:12:32

nicksan
NYC, USA
2011-06-05

plg wrote:

Please suggest a better place for this feature :-)

I agree. I wouldn't know! Maybe on the photo page itself instead of having to click on the icon to get to the photo details? But then again, this is the type of thing where you find out once, then you know for future use! :)

#6 2011-07-25 15:24:56

debruyck
2011-07-21

Searched for the same thing.  Luckily this forum had the answer.

I would suggest putting this in the Batch Manager, thus add an action there "set as representative".  There you can see al photos in an album and select one. 

IMHO it doesn't make sense to select a photo that is not part of the album as the representative for the album

#7 2011-07-25 18:21:30

Billr
Piwigo Team, forum moderator
2011-06-22

At first, I agreed with you debruyck but then I remembered that French is not English and "represent" may be loosely interpreted to be indicative or "representative" of the contents of that album.   It's possible to have an album with icons used to represent categories.   For instance, if you have an album of pictures from a movie, you may, in another album, have a filmstrip icon that you use to represent those.  It's not a part of the movie album but represents the category "movie."

Bill

#8 2011-07-30 18:59:54

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

debruyck wrote:

I would suggest putting this in the Batch Manager, thus add an action there "set as representative".  There you can see al photos in an album and select one.

IMHO it doesn't make sense to select a photo that is not part of the album as the representative for the album

So you mean that the "set as representative" action in the batch manager could only apply to an album the photo belong to? (with inheritance)

The problem is that the batch manager works on several photos at once, while the representative is unique for each album. What would the batch manager do when you select more than one photo?

debruyck wrote:

It doesn't make sense for you, but it may make a lot of sense for somebody else :-) But I agree that "most of the time", we should only propose to set a photo as representative for an album it belongs to (directly or by inheritance). An idea would be to display only the list of albums related to the photos and add an option "show all albums/show only related albums". What do you think of it?

#9 2011-07-30 19:01:55

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Billr wrote:

At first, I agreed with you debruyck but then I remembered that French is not English and "represent" may be loosely interpreted to be indicative or "representative" of the contents of that album.

Your help would be useful Billr. When we write "set as representative" we mean "the thumbnail that is displayed next to the album name in the main block". Can you suggest another term? "Featured thumbnail"? "Album thumbnail"?

#10 2011-08-01 15:24:24

Billr
2011-06-22

"Album thumbnail" would be good.   That doesn't say anything about what the picture represents, just that there is an option to use a picture to indicate the contents of the album.   It could be a symbolic picture, a picture from the album, even a picture of words, either descriptive or otherwise.

Bill

#11 2011-09-09 15:30:54

mixedbredie
Dundee, Scotland
2011-09-06

Coming in on the tail end of this discussion...
I was looking at the same thing in my gallery and was directed to this thread.  What about "Album Highlight"?

#12 2011-09-09 19:46:19

Billr
2011-06-22

The problem with "Album highlight" is that it assumes that the picture is in the album.  But it doesn't necessarily need to be.  You could have pictures in a totally different album and use those to represent pictures in other albums.  For example, if you had albums of different vehicles - one for cars, one for trucks, one for motorcycles - and you had another album with drawings of vehicles of all different types - and you then use a drawing of a car in that drawing album for the representative picture of the album with car pictures.  You do the same with the truck and motorcycle albums.

Also, a "highlight" is like saying "best."  While a picture may be in album and be a representation of the pictures in  the album, it doesn't need to be considered the best picture (rated or otherwise).

Bill

#13 2011-09-10 09:37:06

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

debruyck wrote:

no good idea! In some cases I use pictures outside from other albums.

debruyck wrote:

thats right for you, but you are not the world

i am german, maybe "set as representative" is wrong english, but my english is also at low level  and i understand the meaning of this phrase :-)

"Album Highlight"?

sounds like "best of"

"Album thumbnail"?

Yea, Yes, Ja, oui, sì  :-)

#14 2011-09-10 10:19:29

mixedbredie
Dundee, Scotland
2011-09-06

OK, I am persuaded :-)

In context "album thumbnail" makes sense.  I think Gallery2 and Gallery3 use the term "album highlight".

#15 2011-09-10 19:57:07

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

OK. I trust you, native english speakers! I'll change strings to "album thumbnail" for the upcoming Piwigo 2.3.

Board footer