Announcement

•  » Engine
  •  » Create a mailing list

#1 2011-07-25 19:11:05

Ammar
2011-07-25

Create a mailing list

Hello and Thank you.. it's the best galley ever..

here's one thing,

how can i provide a simple textbox and a button for guests who aren't willing to register, to provide their email addresses to send them emails, just like subscribing to a news letter?

appreciate your help,

thanks..

#2 2011-07-30 22:11:39

Gotcha
Former Piwigo Team
Pourrières (83) [FR]
2007-03-14

Re: Create a mailing list

Hello,

Have you tried the RSS feed? This system does not require any email address from your visitors. Once your gallery is updated, the RSS feed is also updated and your visitors are automatically notified.

Otherwise, email notification requires that the visitor first enrolled in your gallery. Then it's up to you (webmaster) to create an email to your registered members.

;-)

#3 2011-07-30 22:37:12

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I think that RSS notification is only for geeks (unfortunately). Nowadays there are 2 big notification systems : email and social network (did I say "Facebook"?)

For Facebook, you just have to share an album or a photo on your wall with [extension by rub] FacebookPlug

For email, you need your visitors to register : username + password + email. But if the only purpose of registration is to offer a newsletter, then it makes 2 useless fields (username and password). I think it would be a good idea to have a plugin "subscribe to newsletter" which is displayed as a [extension by plg] PWG Stuffs block where a visitor would only have to give his email address : Piwigo creates a user (with an automatic username and random password) and subscribe him do notification. That's just an idea, such a feature does not exist yet.

#4 2011-08-01 16:20:33

Billr
Piwigo Team, forum moderator
2011-06-22

Isn't the plugin "Event Cats" similar to what you need?

#5 2011-08-01 17:18:53

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

Billr wrote:

Isn't the plugin "Event Cats" similar to what you need?

Yes, I think you should have a look at Event Cats's topic, which will give you all information about this extension.

Sorry, and many thanks for Billr's suggestion: I had read the first post quite rapidly, and had not seen that [extension by LucMorizur] Event Cats should match this need.

Last edited by LucMorizur (2011-08-01 17:19:24)

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

#6 2011-08-06 17:03:32

Ammar
2011-07-25

Thanks for your replies..

I totally agree with plg about the need of such extension.. I've checked 'Event Cats' already, the problem with it is that you need to be a member first, which is totally against the idea of a newsletter!

NewsLetters are ment to be for guests, not members.. so a guest can visit the page, register with his email address, and get updated with whatever happens in the website..

Thanks alot guys..

#7 2011-08-11 10:27:26

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

Hi Ammar;

indeed [extension by LucMorizur] Event Cats is not designed to provide the feature you're looking for, definitely.

Yet I still think it can at least help you realize what you need, waiting the proper extension to be designed.

Ammar wrote:

I've checked 'Event Cats' already, the problem with it is that you need to be a member first

Can you tell what made you think that, please? Cause if the explanations of Event Cats -- which was time consuming -- lead to such a conclusion, then they should be corrected: Event Cats is precisely designed to give access to private albums, to unregistered visitors. And these visitors absolutely don't need to register, at any moment.

The principle of Event Cats is that you create an URL (an internet link) to automatically log in the people whom you have the e-mail address. Thus don't these people need to be registered in your gallery, to be logged in. Then you allow this particular generic username, on all the albums you want, and your unregistered visitors can visit all the albums (private or not) without having to log in.

Now coming back to your personnal need, the features provided by Event Cats are not enough, you still need a tool to get the e-mail address of the visitors interested in being in the newsletter you propose. This is very easy to create in simple HTML. But it could need a little bit more to be real nice looking. And you would still need to manage manually the newsletter.

So of course a new extension would remain the best solution :-/ .

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

#8 2012-11-24 13:29:10

Behrad
2012-11-23

Hi
Still no Extension to subscribe without registration?

•  » Engine
  •  » Create a mailing list

Board footer