Announcement

#1 2012-03-22 07:18:12

georgeT
2012-03-18

A problem I have (my fault) without an answer. (I think).

I created an album, called:        ALPHA
ALPHA has a sub Album, called:     BETA

I downloaded and placed pictures in BETA.   So BETA has now 5 pictures.

My problem starts here. I did not foresee that the 5, existing under BETA pictures, should be in fact Sub-Sub Albums and I should have assigned them names. GAMMA, DELTA, EPSILON, etc.

This became necessary because each of those I downloaded and are under BETA, are part of a set of the same subject.

For example: A photo taken in Borneo shows a plant from Borneo. Another photo taken in Thailand, shows the same plant but as it appears in Thailand, etc etc.  Species do have variations in size of leaves, size and colour of flowers, etc.

I could not find a way to reassign the albums.
I have noticed options using words like "Virtual album" etc,  but I have no idea what that suppose to mean, does it mean "New",  "Existing").  I used this option once and I made a mess of everything.

The only way I could achieve my goal was to delete the Sub-Album (BETA and photos) and start from scratch.
Create BETA, than Create Sub-Sub-Albums under BETA, always download the photos after the creation of each of the sub-sub album.

Is the a way to create and transfer pictures from an existing Album to a Sub Album of that existing Album created contemporaneously. ?

As I recall, there was an option to remove pictures from an Album in order to place them under another one.
A message appeared telling me that the pictures were stored. However, I could not find them anywhere.
GeorgeT

#2 2012-03-22 10:07:55

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

Re: A problem I have (my fault) without an answer. (I think).

In batch manager & global mode you can select 'with no album' or 'no virtual album' and then (i assume) assign to an album. you can also associate or disassociate photos to albums

#3 2012-03-22 12:52:25

georgeT
2012-03-18

Thanks, I will try your suggestion.

However, I have no idea what "Caddie" and "No Virtual Album" mean. Virtual album can only mean "New", "Existing", or "unnamed" album. I do not think it means "fictitious" album.
Normally I do not use something I do not understand as it can be very damaging to my work.

I think I tried your suggestion:  disassociate photos to albums;
The photos were removed from the album and stored somewhere, but I do not know where and therefore I can not use them.

regards

georgeT

#4 2012-03-22 20:55:38

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

'As I understand it' all albums are virtual, there isn't a corresponding file structure. When you upload a photo it is given a unique identifier - regardless of the file name. The unique identifier and photo info is held within a database as are virtual album(s) details.
Piwigo then shows the albums, photos and related info from the detail held within the database. As there is no corresponding file structure associating or disassociating photos to albums is just a case of changing detail in the database, a disassociated photo still exists you just have to update the database to associate it to a album - or albums.
So "fictitious" album is close.

There are things in Piwigo I haven't got a clue about one of which is Caddie

Using Piwigo is a bit of a 'learning by getting your hands dirty' adventure - is good fun ;)

#5 2012-03-22 21:54:38

georgeT
2012-03-18

In batch manager & global mode you can select 'with no album' or 'no virtual album' and then (i assume) assign to an album. you can also associate or

I am sure I used this option: disassociate photos to albums.

After the photos were removed from the Album, the photos disappeared. I believe the pictures are stored somewhere but I do not know where. I downloaded the pictures again.

My guess about Piwigo is that it started as a hobby by an individual or a small group of like minded persons. Many words were used for fun and are neither "commands" nor "task specific", and do not make sense.
Today, Piwigo is an outstanding program even with the odd words in it. It does practically everything, the only problem is to find out how.

It takes a lot of courage to clean it up and simplify it.  My guess is, there are to many persons involved now and it will never happened.   

GeorgeT

#6 2012-03-22 23:28:09

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

ok this does work I've just run through it

if you go Administration >> Batch Manager >> global mode
set first filter to 'with no album'
then click 'refresh photo list' you should see all of your photos that are not associated with an album
then tick the small box top left of a image (or multiple images)
a new drop-down list will appear, select 'associate to album and then the album, then apply action

if no no images show then you must have deleted them

#7 2012-03-22 23:43:12

georgeT
2012-03-18

Excellent. I thought I lost 5 pictures but there are 12 there.
Three pictures exist twice.

Another mystery solved.

Thanks very much.

I have to write all these comments down.

Thanks again.

GeorgeT

#8 2012-03-23 10:45:11

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

Glad your got that one sorted

As for the state of Piwigo and the people developing it, I think your been slightly unkind.
Yes it probably was started as a 'hobby' and to many of its developers still will be I should think, they probably have proper jobs and this is something they do in their spare time - for which we benefit.
Most of this type of 'enthusiast' led applications have their quirks and idiosyncrasy's

#9 2012-03-23 21:03:19

georgeT
2012-03-18

Thats exactly what I meant. Everything was done for "fun". However, the product is excellent, does everything but you have to find the way to do it.
Because of the way it was made/created and the individuals involved that fundamental changes are very difficult to make. To solve a problem you must first accept that there is one.

Anyway, I am not unhappy, and slowly I find my way around it.

GeorgeT.

PS: Thanks for your help.

Board footer