Announcement

•  » Website
  •  » piwigo.com help?

#1 2012-06-30 12:39:56

mersey

piwigo.com help?

Hi,
A suggestion for a separate section on the forum for Piwigo.com users, so we only get answers/questions relevant ....and could help each other in the process.
Al

#2 2012-06-30 13:03:37

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Re: piwigo.com help?

I think that is a great idea for Piwigo.com users.

(and we'll promise not to pester as to when 2.4 is available ;-)

Tadjio

#3 2012-06-30 13:17:08

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

No, I don't like this idea. If you want support specific to Piwigo.com, please send an email to Piwigo.com Support.

If we have a "Piwigo.com" section on the forum, if I answer to another topic before, Piwigo.com users will say "we pay, we should receive an answer first". If I answer to Piwigo.com first, other users will say "OK, we need to pay to get support here, I'm leaving...". As far as I see it, it only leads to problems.

#4 2012-06-30 13:53:37

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

#5 2012-06-30 17:05:45

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

and have also I'm not fan of having a horde of people from piwigo.com, thinking that they come here as customers and asking for "how i change that colors/text ?"

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#6 2012-06-30 17:17:19

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

and have also I'm not fan of having a horde of people from piwigo.com, thinking that they come here as customers and asking for "how i change that colors/text ?"

The problem is not to ask a newbie question. The problem, as you say, is to come here as a customer. They must come here as Piwigo users and follow the forum rules.

Wherever you use Piwigo (on Piwigo.com or on any other hosting) you're still a Piwigo user. If the problem/question is specific to your hosting provider, it's better to directly ask them (but of course, they will often say that the problem comes from Piwigo, while on Piwigo.com we are both expert on the hosting and on the software)

Piwigo.com users have an email support and are invited to use it, but it's also a good thing to ask questions on piwigo.org forum because answers are useful wherever you are hosted. Believe me flop25, 99% of the questions I reply to on Piwigo.com support are 100% useful to any Piwigo user.

#7 2012-06-30 17:21:08

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

yes I do belive you : the problem as you -and me- said, is they come here as customers, without reading the doc, searching, and making any efforts
like many of the others, but in much higher proportion

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#8 2012-06-30 17:22:58

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

yes I do belive you : the problem as you -and me- said, is they come here as customers, without reading the doc, searching, and making any efforts
like many of the others, but in much higher proportion

OK, I'll make a blog post on Piwigo.com to give a few rules about "how to get support?".

#9 2012-06-30 17:54:03

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

mersey wrote:

Hi,
A suggestion for a separate section on the forum for Piwigo.com users, so we only get answers/questions relevant ....and could help each other in the process.
Al

I don't want to argue with you experts and I do recognise your concerns but remember what was suggested was somewhere we could help each other - which isn't available to Piwigo.com users.

Tadjio

#10 2012-06-30 18:11:30

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Tadjio wrote:

I don't want to argue with you experts and I do recognise your concerns but remember what was suggested was somewhere we could help each other - which isn't available to Piwigo.com users.

I agree with that too Tadjio. Maybe we should create a forum on Piwigo.com, but because I think Piwigo users on Piwigo.com are equal to Piwigo users on any other host, I don't think it's the best solution. Maybe we should think about it one more time. I admit I don't know what's the best thing to do.

Creating a forum on Piwigo.com is easy of course. But this question is not a technical question.

Piwigo.com is highly appreciated for its support by email and I don't want to let Piwigo.com customers think that now they have to use the forum instead. The forum is much more difficult to use than email: in an email, you can admit you have no understanding of anything and ask for help. Many people are shy and won't be able to write the same way on a public forum.

In my future post on Piwigo.com blog, I may ask if Piwigo.com customers want to have a forum in addition to Piwigo.org forum and Piwigo.com Support by email.

#11 2012-06-30 18:15:08

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

I am not part of .com but i think you should not open a .com forum : as yoy said they are equal concerning piwigo itself
That s just my opinion as usually :)

#12 2012-06-30 18:48:33

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

I agree - no Piwigo.com forum.

But don't forget what I said a while ago - it is not always clear to people what the difference is between Piwigo.com and Piwigo.org.
I still think it is possible to have a sub-forum for "Piwigo.com" just like "Requests" and "Miscellaneous" which would be for Piwigo.com issues only but it may be hard to define and keep restricted.

Jsut to mention two possible topics:
1) Setting the Timezone for Piwigo.com users as currently this is in France
2) Discussions as to what has to be done for upgrade to 2.4 (or is this taboo?;)

All-in-all I agree that there isn't a simple answer!

Tadjio

•  » Website
  •  » piwigo.com help?

Board footer