Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Importing photos from Flickr

#1 2013-08-10 17:25:28

Ann
NC, USA
2013-08-10

Importing photos from Flickr

I'm trying out the Flickr2Piwigo plugin. Setting it up with the instructions provided in the plugin and on the blog was easy, I was able to get it to connect to my Flickr account and import a few photos for testing. Thanks for a great tool!

There are two things I'd like to do that it doesn't seem to do right now (or maybe I'm missing it?):

1) Import descriptions. This is a big deal for me as I use my images for teaching, and the description is just as important as the picture. However, it does not appear to import descriptions when I import a few pictures for testing. With several thousands of pictures on my account, it would be a lot of work to copy the descriptions manually.

2) Import geotags. My camera doesn't have GPS, so there are no geotags in the Exif, but I went through all the work of placing most of my pictures on Flickr's maps. It would be great to be able to import their geotags rather than having to do it all over.

Also, I noticed that it imports tags as single words, all lower case. For example, if you have a tag like "New York" on Flickr it turns into "newyork" upon importing into Piwigo. It would be great if tags could be imported with capitalization and spaces intact as they were originally entered on Flickr. Is that doable, or a limitation of how Flickr provides its tags?

And lastly a question: I have thousands of pictures on Flickr, so I haven't dared yet to hit the "import all" button. Will it create albums from Flickr sets, or will it just import all the pictures into one album on Piwigo? I would like to keep my organization and I'm wondering if it would be more efficient to import one set/album at a time rather than all pictures at once and having to sort them all out into separate albums again. Any advice? Thanks!

#2 2013-08-10 17:37:59

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Importing photos from Flickr

1) I'll try to add it

2) I never used any geo plugin in Piwigo, could you tell be witch database fields are used ?

3) Flickr API returns tags like that

4) I don't remember, quickly reading the code I think it created on Piwigo album for each photoset

#3 2013-08-10 18:36:32

Ann
NC, USA
2013-08-10

Thanks for the awesomely quick reply again! Getting descriptions would be fantastic. I was afraid that the tag mangling already happens on Flickr's side - bummer.

As for the maps, I'm using the RV Maps & Earth plugin and figured out how to add geotags with the edit_gmaps addition. It seems to work fine. I have no clue what database fields it uses though - how would I find out?

#4 2013-08-11 20:07:12

Ann
NC, USA
2013-08-10

Found some typos: On the configuration tab in the plugin under 8. it instructs to "Enter a desciption again, past in Callback URL" - that should be "Enter a description again, paste in Callback URL" - description and paste are each missing a letter.

#5 2013-09-29 04:54:10

Ann
NC, USA
2013-08-10

Hi mistic100, I see there has been an update for the Flickr2Piwigo plugin - thanks for that! Have you had a chance to check into the possibility of importing image descriptions along with titles? That would be really awesome.

#6 2013-09-29 09:45:40

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

no I didn't

#7 2013-09-29 15:51:27

Ann
NC, USA
2013-08-10

Hi mistic100, I just clicked on the import all images function to see what options it offers and got the following error message:

Code:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /(path to piwigo installation)/plugins/flickr2piwigo/admin/import.php on line 231

Notice: unserialize() [function.unserialize]: Error at offset 0 of 219 bytes in /(path to piwigo installation)/flickr2piwigo/include/phpFlickr/phpFlickr.php on line 305

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /(path to piwigo installation)/plugins/flickr2piwigo/admin/import.php on line 231

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /(path to piwigo installation)/plugins/flickr2piwigo/admin/import.php:231) in /(path to piwigo installation)/include/page_header.php on line 101

#8 2013-09-29 18:56:29

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

this didn't change for ages

logout from Flickr (on the Piwigo interface), clean the folder "_data/flickr_cache", check your API keys, and try again

#9 2013-09-29 19:31:23

Ann
NC, USA
2013-08-10

Thanks, cleaning the cache did the trick!

Do you have any plans for including descriptions in the fields available for import? It's not urgent but I'm curious if there is hope that this may be available sometime? It would be a lot more convenient than copy/pasting descriptions.

#10 2013-12-19 13:51:22

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

If you did not see the update : version 1.0.7 imports descriptions and geotags

•  » Extensions
  •  » Importing photos from Flickr

Board footer