Announcement

#1 2014-02-01 20:59:27

calberga
2014-01-31

Will Piwigo meet my needs and desires?

I'm not sure this belongs here, but it is (sort of) a How-To question.

Will Piwigo meet my needs and desires?

This post may violate e one-question per post rule.  There is only one question, but it implies several sub-questions.

From that I have read on the Piwigo site the program seems to almost exactly provide the sort of photo display that I have been dreaming of.  What I cannot tell from what I have read is if I will be able to use it relatively easily.

I'm a long retired programmer and very out of practice.  I have absolutely no knowledge of PHP, C and its decedents, nor of SQL.  I still program a little in LISP, which is the only language that I retain any facility in.  I have a fairly large collection (I think it fits that description) of photographs and other items which I would like to put into a web-site, with images shared among albums/gallerys/what-ever-the-term-is.

I have set tags on the .jpg files with a fair bit of information, using the IPTC tags.  I have LISP code which can create <MAP>...</MAP> statements from data extracted from Picasa's database.  I also have or can write code to gather the information defining an "album".

The question(s):

how much, if any PHP, SQL, whatever else, must I learn to set up and run Piwigo?

is there a file format that I can create to up-load the information about a set of images (file name on server, caption, title, <MAP> information, etc.)?

is there, or can I create, pages containing two (or more?) images, e.g. a photograph and the inscription on the back of that photograph?

is there a file format that I can create to up-load an "album" definition?

do I have to worry that my host system is shortly dropping PHP 5.2 and only providing 5.4?

Generally, I want to be able to assemble such information on my computer and up-load it as a batch.

So, back to the question: is Piwigo the answer to my dreams?

Pointers to documentation are fine responses.  If I should kill this post and break it up into four or five separate posts, please advise.

#2 2014-02-01 21:12:43

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Will Piwigo meet my needs and desires?

Hi calberga,

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: please break this topic into 5 topics, one question = one topic :-)

#3 2014-02-01 21:26:14

calberga
2014-01-31

Re: Will Piwigo meet my needs and desires?

'frade of that!  Will do.

Board footer