Announcement

#1 2014-02-01 21:47:53

calberga
2014-01-31

Level of programing expertise needed

For my background and wishes/plans look at the beginning of:

Will Piwigo meet my needs and desires? by calberga, now broken into several posts.

How much PHP, SQL, etc need I learn to use Piwigo?

I know LISP well, HTML somewhat, Javascript a little.

#2 2014-02-03 15:27:30

paul105
2012-08-17

Re: Level of programing expertise needed

Hi Calberga,

I've been using piwigo for several years and have built & rebuilt my website several times, as with all these types of questions the answer is, it depends.

Are you happy with an out of the box layout, for me in my original site I was & happily used the stripped theme.

I needed very little knowledge of html, sql , php to get a basic site up and running and to have quite a nice looking website with some custom logo's etc

After using piwigo for some time and becoming more familiar with the tool I then heavily customised my site using Custom CSS, there are loads of tutorials online on using CSS.

Again this is a fairly simple process when you get to understand the basics.

Hope that helps

#3 2014-02-03 15:37:44

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

My answer will be slightly different (even if paul105 is right)

calberga wrote:

You don't need to even understand what PHP and SQL are. You don't have to learn PHP at all. If it was a requirement we would have thousand times less users :-)

Now if you want to learn HTML and CSS, you will be able to customize "in depth" Piwigo. If you learn PHP, you will be able to write plugins and change the way Piwigo work.

#4 2014-02-03 21:27:06

calberga
2014-01-31

Thank you both for the replies, and for the information.  I'm going to wait for answers to the other questions to trickle in, and then (probably) download and try.

#5 2014-08-11 23:09:44

Rob Sowerby

plg wrote:

My answer will be slightly different (even if paul105 is right)

calberga wrote:

You don't need to even understand what PHP and SQL are. You don't have to learn PHP at all. If it was a requirement we would have thousand times less users :-)

Now if you want to learn HTML and CSS, you will be able to customize "in depth" Piwigo. If you learn PHP, you will be able to write plugins and change the way Piwigo work.

I know absolutely nothing about coding at all. I built my site with a WYSIWYG web designer, Kompozer.
Unfortunately my lack of knowledge also means that I really haven't a clue what to do with Piwigo.
I have uploaded it to my site but am baffled as to what to do next.
Is there a set of simple instructions/tutorial for a Noob like me or is this a step too far?

#6 2014-08-11 23:11:38

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

perhaps the installation guide and the wiki ? (top of this website)
http://piwigo.org/basics/installation
http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php

Board footer