•  » icy_picture_modify: The plugin needs new maintainer

#1 2014-02-25 06:04:05

icy
Translation Team
Vietnam
2011-06-30

icy_picture_modify: The plugin needs new maintainer

Hello,

This is not a good news for the users of my plugins. In short, I don't have much time to work on this plugin, so I decide to give it up, and I am looking for someone to help.

I still work to have bug fixes and security fixes for the latest version 2.4.6 of the plugin, but I will not give any new feature. If you're an user of my plugin, please take a look at an alternative (if any), and accept my apologies.

If you're a developer and you're interested in my plugin, please help to maintain it. I can share all my knowledge. The source code of the plugin is at https://github.com/icy/icy_picture_modify (this is the official repository; there is an out-of-date sub-tree in Piwigo SVN repository; pls don't use it.)

I'm very sorry for my leaving. I'd like to thank you all for your using and supporting my plugin during the last years.

Regards,

--
Anh K. Huynh (aka "icy" on Piwigo forum)

Last edited by icy (2014-02-25 09:04:13)

#2 2014-02-25 09:00:17

Kalle
2012-08-17

Re: icy_picture_modify: The plugin needs new maintainer

Thank you for all your work and support.

#3 2014-02-25 11:22:35

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Bad news

but users could give a try to Admin Tools,
it's obviously very very basic (and won't change) but I think it addresses 90% of uses cases : every users can modify basic info (name, shoot date, description, tags) of their own photos

#4 2014-02-25 12:26:12

Kalle
2012-08-17

There are 2 sides, one is the question what user's can do. The other is: if you have a team of persons who manage the Galerie, there is not option to configure Piwigo with rights for a moderator team. The team should move or delete photos, create albums and change album-rights in a limited range, but they do not install plugins etc.

#5 2014-02-25 12:35:56

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

don't need to justify the interrests of ICY plugin, I know them

I just say that for galleries with one webmaster (or trusted administrators), which is the case of most users, Admin Tools is totally suitable and require no configuration (I think ICY configuration files are very, very hard to use)

#6 2014-02-25 13:03:24

icy
Translation Team
Vietnam
2011-06-30

Thank you all for you feedback.

As mistic100 suggests, if you are single maintainer of your gallery, and/or your team can share credentials, the "Admin tools" plugin is very good. It just works, and very easy.

If you have a complex workflow (there are uploaders, there are novice users, moderators, bla bla -- just like me and my site), IPM plugin would help. I hope someone will have some alternatives soon, and/or improve my plugin, which lacks beautiful console (UI). I didn't support the UI, because I don't experience the template system, and I just need something simple on my server.

Technically, the best way is to have a good ACL system from Piwigo system. I don't know if Piwigo team has this feature on their roadmap (please push them!), because Piwigo is quite happy now:P Originally Piwigo system is for single user (IMHO), and the "Admin Tools" or some other plugin like that, is trying to give a "Admin" hook. This is not secure from my point of view.

Another good (!?) way is to have ACL support from Community plugin per-se. (You can see my plugin is heavily based on Community plugin.) I would have given some patches for Community! But that requires a lot of patches, especially for the UI stuff :(

Actually I intended to rewrite my plugin, to provide "ACL" feature only, then to use it in other plugins. But that philosophy is quite different, and as I said, I don't have time anymore :(

#7 2016-03-25 16:36:54

Kalle
2012-08-17

I have not found a replacement for this plugin yet, and that is very bad.

If that will not be fixed, I have to leave piwigo.

•  » Extensions
  •  » icy_picture_modify: The plugin needs new maintainer

Board footer