Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Community - Allowing sub albums in the user album

#1 2014-04-07 21:24:38

burnsy66
2014-04-07

Community - Allowing sub albums in the user album

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to allow a user to create sub albums in his own user album but restrict them from creating sub albums anywhere else?

I'm going to have set album categories in my community area but i want users to be able to create their own albums in their own area. I've only figured out one way to do it and that is to specifically add a seperate permission for each user(manually).

if i try to make a permission rule for any registered user for his album only, i am not able to tick the boxes to create sub-albums as the admin panel wont allow it. If i allow whole gallery wide permission to add sub albums, the user can make them everywhere, which is not what i want.

not sure what i'm doing wrong, or if this is just not possible. I'm trying to mod the code myself, but thought i better ask before i go too far incase there is a simple solution that i'm overlooking. Thank you in advance. :)

Great software btw. I'm hoping to write some modules myself once i get up to speed. Always happy to contribute to software that helps me if i am able.

Jason

Piwigo version: 2.62
PHP version: 5.4.2
MySQL version: 5.5.36-cll
Piwigo URL: http://

Last edited by burnsy66 (2014-04-07 23:44:28)

#2 2014-08-12 12:38:52

joeuser
2014-08-06

Re: Community - Allowing sub albums in the user album

I have the exact same requirement. Any resolution?

#3 2014-11-21 21:02:41

Mattroid
TX
2014-11-21

Re: Community - Allowing sub albums in the user album

I am also hoping someone has come up with a solution to this, assuming it is even possible. I enabled the 'Apply to sub-albums' and 'ability to create sub-albums' settings manually in the database, but this leads to a potential permission issue where users can create sub albums in other users' albums (or it seems to, I haven't done much testing past that point).

I'm assuming this may be why these settings are not possible to enable via the UI, but I can't figure out why this is the case. To be fair, I'm a new Piwigo user (trying to convert from Gallery2), so I haven't dug through the code much to see how/why this is the way it is yet. I assume it all relates back to how the permission settings work when applied to all registered users, like the OP said, but it still seems odd to me. For example, I've tested creating a top level album with a sub album for a user, creating a permission group for a user to have full access to that sub album, and that seems to work just fine.

If this is due to a core way the permissions work, since Piwigo isn't really meant for this sort of use to begin with, then a better solution may be to not utilize the User Album feature in the Community Plugin and instead modify the code to create a new permission group for each user created, along with an album. This will require a bit more initial setup on the admin side, not to mention a bunch of records in the database if you have a lot of users (my current G2 is about 100 users), but seems like it should work.

Has anyone else come up with workarounds or perhaps is already planning a plugin that adds something like I described above?

•  » Extensions
  •  » Community - Allowing sub albums in the user album

Board footer