Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Plugin or other means to import descriptions from Menalto Gallery 3

#1 2014-07-11 08:16:28

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

Plugin or other means to import descriptions from Menalto Gallery 3

Hi

Menalto has recently announced end of life for their program. http://galleryproject.org so many will be looking for alternatives and Piwigo looks great. Looks a lot better than Menalto Gallery, I was already contemplating a change, but EOL helped.

Request is to be able to transfer descriptions from Menalto Gallery 3. I for example have six or so high level albums with numerous sub-albums and some sub-sub albums. All albums have descriptions and some photos have descriptions that were transferred from Aperture.

Piwigo URL: http://knobby.ws/gallery/. Current photo gallery is at /gallery3/. The Piwigo version is still in testing (I just transferred it over today).

Last edited by MtnBiker (2014-07-11 08:33:06)

#2 2014-07-11 08:22:44

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Plugin or other means to import descriptions from Menalto Gallery 3

Hi

Please do a little search in the plugins page [extension by plg] Menalto2Piwigo

#3 2014-07-11 08:32:15

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

mistic100 wrote:

Hi

Please do a little search in the plugins page [extension by plg] Menalto2Piwigo

Sorry I wasn't clear. The existing extension is for Gallery 2 and I'm requesting for a migrator for Gallery 3 which was released in 2010. I'll update the original post to reflect this.

Last edited by MtnBiker (2014-07-11 08:36:20)

#4 2014-07-11 09:33:11

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

the author of this migration plugin will release one for g3

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2014-07-11 20:00:52

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

Fantastic. I'd be happy to beta test.

Last edited by MtnBiker (2014-07-11 20:02:46)

#6 2014-07-23 11:23:39

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi MtnBiker,

I have published a new version 2.6.c of [extension by plg] Menalto2Piwigo for Gallery3 compatibility. I'd be happy to have your feedback :-)

#7 2014-07-23 23:46:17

evadim
2014-07-23

Thanks plg, just tested it. Works more or less fine: show bunch of php errors on DB import, but covers / comments / age ("new!" mark) are correct. Seems, I found logical bug in russian translation, check later and make more detailed report :)
One issue for me - I have bunch of files with space in name, so - folder sync show error, and after rename - they appear like "new content!". Any ideas how to fix/workaround it? Anyway, they only in one album and it not big deal for me.

UPD: Comments transfered. EXIF rotation and order not counted.
/me go sleep

Last edited by evadim (2014-07-24 00:17:38)

#8 2014-07-24 02:05:47

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

evadim wrote:

Thanks plg, just tested it. Works more or less fine: show bunch of php errors on DB import, but covers / comments / age ("new!" mark) are correct. Seems, I found logical bug in russian translation, check later and make more detailed report :)
One issue for me - I have bunch of files with space in name, so - folder sync show error, and after rename - they appear like "new content!". Any ideas how to fix/workaround it? Anyway, they only in one album and it not big deal for me.

I'm following this because I want to do the same transfer. I have the same problem with spaces and found this thread: http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p … 34#p152734

I added

$conf['sync_chars_regex'] = '/^[a-zA-Z0-9-_. ]+$/';

to config.inc.php using LocalFiles Editor. Not sure if this will help you. I'm a newbie here.

I have apostrophes also and couldn't figure out how to deal with them. An apostrophe is a special character in the RegEx I think, but \escaping it didn't help either.

Seems to me spaces, apostrophes, etc. should be OK by default. We're in the 21st century and we can use more than 128 characters on most computers. I know the purists don't buy that but many users are in agreement.

evadim wrote:

What do you mean my order not counted? Not the same photo order you had in Menalto?

#9 2014-07-24 08:14:15

evadim
2014-07-23

Great! Next question - why support of spaces in Piwigo disabled? If I enable it, I didn't broke anything in Piwigo?

#10 2014-07-24 08:18:52

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi evadim,

evadim wrote:

show bunch of php errors on DB import

Can you copy them here please?

evadim wrote:

As said by MtnBiker, use $conf['sync_chars_regex'] to permit the white space in file/directory names.

#11 2014-07-24 08:20:04

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

evadim wrote:

Great! Next question - why support of spaces in Piwigo disabled? If I enable it, I didn't broke anything in Piwigo?

Disabled by default because it might generate problems in URL. But actually nowadays it seems fine so don't be scared to authorize them.

#12 2014-07-24 20:28:29

evadim
2014-07-23

After I add space to regex, errors seems disapeared. For historical reasons I attach screnshot which I made last time (saw them 2 times). So, module works good!
Russian translation of migration module a bit misleading and outdated - how I can help to fix this?

litte things which I see now:

1) Custom image order: isn't migrated or not enabled/possible? (do it manually, if migration not pissible)
2) Tags for albums (not sure, may be I don't need them)?
3) Rotation: as I read in few topics, piwigo rotate images on upload. How apply this on migration? Also, in G3 I have "jpegtran" module for lossless rotation of jpegs.
4) I have installed in G3 "Keep Original" module, which backup original version of images before rotation. It have analog in Piwigo? How about migration?

P.S. I read 3&4 and think - I rotate image in G3, import it to piwigo and it not rotated = something goes wrong :)

P.P.S. Error message about aploading image too fast for me on this forum :)

Last edited by evadim (2014-07-24 20:34:37)

#13 2014-07-26 12:50:06

evadim
2014-07-23

MtnBiker wrote:

evadim wrote:

What do you mean my order not counted? Not the same photo order you had in Menalto?

Yes.

#14 2014-07-26 20:21:37

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

plg wrote:

Hi MtnBiker,

I have published a new version 2.6.c of [extension by plg] Menalto2Piwigo for Gallery3 compatibility. I'd be happy to have your feedback :-)

Merci plg.

Works. Descriptions come through for albums and photos. Great.

I may have a problem with sort order, but am still investigating. In general sort order isn't a big problem for me because I usually created new photo files for upload, and the files are in numerical (sorted) order as exported from Aperture. I occasionally did a minor rearrangement using Gallery3 and it will be hard to find out which albums I sorted in G3.

However with the upload plugin for Piwigo I may now just upload directly. But complicated by the fact that Aperture is end of life, so in a year or so who know what app I'll be using on my computer.

Evadim gave a good report. I don't use tags or rotation in Menalto G3 so can't comment on that.

Will report back later. Taking a while having to work through how Piwigo works.

Piwigo gallery. knobby.ws/gallery/ not live yet. G3 is still main site, but expect this to change soon; but I have to check some more things out and then change some other things on the site. Need to hide file names showing up on the album pages for example. If Description showed that would be OK, but I don't want users to see "Mt Washington Stairs-002."

Thanks again this is great.

Last edited by MtnBiker (2014-07-26 20:28:47)

#15 2014-07-26 20:52:05

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

evadim wrote:

MtnBiker wrote:

evadim wrote:

UPD: EXIF rotation and order not counted.

Yes.

I think I have the same problem. I'm not sure I can tell now because I've set default sort to file name and can't tell if it's that default taking precedence or the order I imported them.

But I do have an album in G3 with file names xyz1, xyz2, …, xyz10, xyz11. In G3 they were in that order, but in Piwigo it's xyz1 xyz10, xyz11, , xyz2, …, which isn't surprising. I've tried to remember to use computer friendly numbering, but I didn't always remember.

You can see the difference:

G3: http://knobby.ws/gallery3/Family-and-Fr … kNorth2013
Piwigo: http://knobby.ws/gallery/index.php?/category/6

•  » Requests
  •  » Plugin or other means to import descriptions from Menalto Gallery 3

Board footer