Announcement

#1 2014-10-03 05:39:52

kyk

How to make my users be uploading photos

Greetings,

Recently I have updated my site  to 2.7.0. Upon requests from users I thought to enable the user photo upload option. But not seen it. When i tried to edit the user permissions i.e Manage permissions for the user, there is nothing to add or remove the permissions. Kindly guide me as I am new to these technical stuff.

Piwigo version: 2.7.0
PHP version: 5.3
MySQL version: latest
Piwigo URL:

#2 2014-10-03 12:52:26

Mikeqw
2014-09-25

Re: How to make my users be uploading photos

Sorry for not answering but same problem here.
I think it must be a bug..

#3 2014-10-03 13:17:10

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello
as answered many times, only admin and webmasters can upload since the upload form is in the administration. Two plugins allows basic users to upload ; community and Icy Picture Modify

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#4 2014-10-03 14:35:16

Mikeqw
2014-09-25

Why are those two not amongst "other plugins"?

#5 2014-10-03 14:47:15

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

not yet 2.7 compatible: 2.7 is only one week old

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#6 2014-10-03 18:36:51

Mikeqw
2014-09-25

I can wait. I gave my customer strict order not to touch anything else than ad album and photo :)
This feature should be there without plugins in mt opinion.
no web designer wants to give their customers too many rights and they dont want it either.

#7 2014-10-09 22:50:21

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Community is now compatible with Piwigo 2.7.

This feature should be there without plugins in mt opinion.

For sure, the "user upload" feature is an important feature when you have a "community" gallery, but this is not the case of so many galleries.

#8 2014-10-10 13:06:07

Mikeqw
2014-09-25

Very nice with the compatibility.

But i dont agree about the "community" to be needed for this plugin.
  As a web designer. I have customers.  And the customers want a simple UI and UX
with Admin role there is just too manhy features. + it is a major safety issue. The whole cms or gallery can be easily messed up.

#9 2014-10-10 13:10:39

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Piwigo was not designed for a "central webmaster" having "customers" on his gallery. Piwigo is designed to be used by the end user. Plugin Community is designed to give "user upload", by "user" I mean visitors of the gallery (friends and family) not the "owner" of the gallery.

#10 2014-10-10 14:49:00

Mikeqw
2014-09-25

I see I have difficulty explaining me.

I have a customer who wanted a web page. The web page had to have a gallery.

So I choose Piwigo this time because I found it potential. I tried a couple of others too.
So in cases like this the community pkugin is used. Other would becto restrict Admin rights. That would equally good.
now Piwigo indeed is for computer enthusiastics. Not the average business owner who wants a gallery

#11 2014-10-10 14:56:22

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

we've got plenty of those kind of users...  We are in the direction to simplify, to make it more user friendly etc We do know our flaws
But saying that's for computer enthusiastics that's extrem! Well that's not because Piwigo 'as this' doesn't fit your needs and because you need to tweak it to do what you want, you have to say that's for computer enthusiastics. Do you know about piwigo.com?

About your issue I still don't get it; you don't want your customer to be admin? even if it's his own website?

#12 2014-10-10 14:59:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Mikeqw wrote:

now Piwigo indeed is for computer enthusiastics. Not the average business owner who wants a gallery

Of course I completely disagree with this. We have many many users on Piwigo who are far from being "computer enthusiastics", believe me :-)

But I agree that "computer enthusiastics" will appreciate the numerous customization options of Piwigo ;-)

#13 2014-10-10 16:21:40

Mikeqw
2014-09-25

Ok.
Enthusiastic is maybe a too strong consept. But most people or companies who order a web site dont want to start configurating it. In fact the word "install" make them feel nausea allready. If I wold say just install this and that..
Even that installing apps on the phone is a every day thing. Installing and not to mention configuring a cms etc. Piwigo or other, is not what they want to do.
But they do want to add/change content. I hear more than one time that the customer ordered a wordpress website. Reason for this was that they had a friend who had one.
After getting one they mangage to make all content or visuals dissapear just like that. Buyt maybe Piwigo is not as risky..

I dont mind the customers being admins. And ofcourse I cannot talk about the whole worlds all web designers. Somehow I still think that it is a common feature to strip the options for the end user. And if there is later something missing. Then it would be added.
The person who strips it in this case is the web designer. So it is up to his or her experience aswell as talking with the customer what they want and dont want.

Last edited by Mikeqw (2014-10-10 16:23:02)

#14 2014-10-10 16:28:08

Mikeqw
2014-09-25

For me it doesent matter if the feature is a plugin or in the core. I think I find it if it is to be found anyway.
It was just a suggestion. But maybe to have different Admin levels or somekind of Admin configuration options to be deactivated/activated would be a nice plugin (or core feature). If you think of Facebook for instance. They have something like that.

#15 2014-10-10 19:58:02

Serge D
US
2014-07-15

+1: let's see if I can make a case here...

I am admin for my company web space, we also have dedicated web designer and content manager
Let's take WordPress as an example. There are admins, editors, contributors, and subscribers.
Each level can perform different operations.
For my WP setup, as admin I have setup and configured WP Network which hosts few company's web sites.
It is not the situation with external customer, but normal administration separation.
yes, it is more of the business setup, but you can find similar scenario in public domain as well -ex: one member of the family maintaining several sites for other family members

in case of Piwigo setup:

* admin - manages overall setup and updates
* editors - can manage all content, create/edit/delete pages, upload and delete photos but not make system changes
* contributor - uploads photos to albums s/he has access to
* subscribers - can subscribe for content updates - new photos/comments/etc

it is not new kind of setup and is widely used among many other platforms
at should also help to enhance Piwigo.com in my humble opinion :)

Board footer