Announcement

#1 2015-02-19 21:49:34

oneiro

Piwigo on NAS

Hello,

I put request in this section because in troubleshoots forum I do not get answer from Piwigo team, only form one user. So seems my issue  is request for new features.

Glossary: NAS - Network Storage Server, device with big disk volume/matrix, but generally slow system - main purpose is  keeping  data.  In my configuration Intel Atom 1.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM, system 32 bit,  data: 2x2 TB in RAID 0 + system HDD 10 GB.

Kindly please add below features (as I read forum this is not only my request)

1. NAS upload  - please add feature EASY upload images from local system

2. External storage - in default Piwigo keep all original images in www_root directory.  Most of NAS have small HDD with system (where is www_root) and storage disk matrix   Please allow keep original images in some other place from default www_root directory

3.  External storage miniatures/resize images - connected with above.   The same story, please allow keep miniatures and resized images in other localisation that default root_www folder.  I propose in the same directory that keep original images but eg. in hidden directory

4. Manual batch processing - in theory this feature exist, but only if batch page is open! On slow system and hundreds of thousands images + many resized formats + slow system = many days/weeks of processing!  Keep open www for keep processing (on close www converting is stooped) is not possible (eg. auto disconnect session after n-minutes idle).   Please add background jobs making conversion OR make instruction how to run some script in linux system. I know, i.php file is root of converting but I do not know php and how to use it :(

Issue 4. could be solved if options 2. and 3. will be implements - then data is stored in slow machine (NAS) and processing can be run of vast machine (where will be www_root - Piwigo engine).  Similar to Plex media server feature.
In my machine (and most of NAS) conversation "on fly" is not acceptable for pleasant viewing, ~5 sec. for converting is too long and this reason for background job responsible for resized images.
Also without keeping converted images in other localisation that www_root (in NAS machines usually this small disk) converting 0,5 TB images will be not possible due to out of disk space error. 

Best Regards, Krzysiek

#2 2015-02-21 23:13:03

cnoork
2015-02-05

Re: Piwigo on NAS

Hi,

I hope also that this location gives more response!

For now I have solved the batch process by creating my own script. But I really would like that this is native supported by Piwigo. More and more people are using a NAS and they have not that CPU power to do a large number of conversions at the same time. On these servers all conversions should be done in advance.

With kind regards,
Chris

#3 2015-05-09 11:04:01

oneiro

Dear All,

Could anybody from Piwigo Team only say that described features is possible to implement in Piwigo and if yes there are some plans to do it?

Best Regards, Krzysiek

#4 2015-11-11 23:12:18

stefan-guest

Hi Krzysiek,

I'm running piwigo on a slow NAS too. I've solved some of your issues by setting it up the following way:

1. Keep your images at the NAS, at the place you like. Use smaba or sftp to upload images from windows, android or iOS. Let's say all images are stored under one mount point /mnt/photos

2. You can simply create a link from piwigo (under root_www folder) to your NAS (/mnt/photos) .
- ln -s /mnt/photos $PIWIGODIR/gallaeries/photos
- afterwards start the Synchronization from Administration Home Page

3. Same for thumbnails etc. They are stored under $PIWIGODIR/_data/i/galleries. Just create a link to whatever directory your files are stored. Thumnails must be stored in the same directory structure as images.

4. Mount the photos and thumbnail dir on a workstation with better performance and write a script or use a tool (e.g. IrfanView) to create your thumbs, squares etc. in batch.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

#5 2016-04-26 13:24:15

mwerle
2016-04-26

I too have used symlinks to move photos and other data (thumbnails) away from my system disk.

Currently there is "galleries" and "_data".  (Maybe more? I have not found yet).

FEATURE REQUEST:  Have _ALL_ Piwigo data rooted in a single directory.

This way it is easier to manage storage on servers.

Many thanks,
- Micha.

Board footer