Announcement

#1 2015-04-11 16:44:09

gjerdav
2015-04-11

very slow web upload

Hi all!

I recently installed Piwigo on my own Linux server, and I'm having trouble with the web form upload feature.  It seems to be taking a good 30 seconds to upload each photo, and I can't figure out why.  Here are my hardware details:

Pentium III 933Mhz
256MB RAM
60GB HD
Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS
standard LAMP stack (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) installed during Ubuntu Server setup
Piwigo 2.7.4 installed via ZIP file

I'll admit it's not a great machine -- just some old desktop I pulled off the shelf, but Apache and MySQL seem to run fine on this hardware.  The odd part is that the system acts like the processor still has plenty of horsepower during the upload (checking "uptime" via a command prompt shows only light-to-moderate processor usage -- certainly not maxed out).  I'm uploading over a local network, so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue either.  Uploaded photos already have a max size of 2048x2048 (resized prior to uploading) and are generally 300-500K JPEGs.

I've also noticed a significant delay as I'm viewing photo albums for the first time, so I suspect it has something to do with the image resizing system.  I have all of the optional image sizes unchecked in the configuration options.

Any suggestions?  Is my server hardware simply not up to the task?  I started on a Raspberry Pi B, but moved away from it due the exact same issue I'm having here.  I've also tried it with and without ImageMagick installed (via "apt-get install php5-imagick"), but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks!

Piwigo version: 2.7.4
PHP version: 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.7
MySQL version: 5.5.41-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 - (Ubuntu)
Piwigo URL: sorry, local network for now

Board footer