2012-03-18

Problems with data space.

Hi,
I just received this message from the service provider:

-----------------------
Large MySQL Table
DATABASE_NAME TABLE_NAME TABLE_ROWS
orchidsw_piwi471 piwi_history 2019622

Because of the size, this database table may have a detrimental impact on the performance of your website, and on the performance of Digital Pacific internal services including our server backups. In the case of your site, we do not believe that your site is impacting our service performance at this time. If it is found to be causing performance issues in the future, we may be forced to interrupt or suspend your services.
---------------------------

The database has about 2,000 photos today and by Christmas next year (2016) ti should have at leaf 4,000 and the number will continue to increase.

One possible solution may be to backup the data myself (if there is a way to do it). Any suggestions? I guess I am not the only one with thousands of photos.

regards

George 

Piwigo version:
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: http://

#2 2015-07-20 00:05:32

georgeT
2012-03-18

Re: Problems with data space.

I receive further info from Digital Pacific:

---------------------------------------
I believe this is just the History, perhaps statistics of your website tracking what IP and what images or the count of images that they viewed.
Upon a quick google search for "piwigo history large sql" the first result shows this: http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19418
Have a quick read, nothing to do with you not being able to upload your images, it's just a matter of you ideally not storing each individual log entry from as far back as 2014-02-19 (first row in the table sorted by date). Additionally, the article suggests that using the automatic or manual pruning tool will not impact your summaries.
Have a look and let me know if you have any questions. Attached is the most recent rows from your history piwi_history table.

#3 2015-07-20 00:29:34

georgeT
2012-03-18

I downloaded the "Prune History" Extension; however, there is NO read me file present or instructions of any kind to tell me where the file goes and how to install the file.

It appears that deleting History is a good idea and may solve my current problems.

#4 2015-07-20 11:11:45

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Hi!

As any plugin in Piwigo, the directory and files have to be extracted in the "plugins" directory of your gallery. Please refer to piwigo documentation.

But that's not the shortest way to install a plugin !
The best way is to use the embded plugin install of piwigo engine. Again check the piwigo doc.

That's because there is no read me file in any plugin.

#5 2015-07-20 12:23:10

georgeT
2012-03-18

You say:

"files have to be extracted in the "plugins" directory of your gallery."

That does not make sense because the downloaded files are individual files and to my knowledge, individual files can not be extracted. Do you mean Transferred?

The other problem is that Piwigo is part of Softaculous apps.
I used "Softaculous" to install Piwigo and Softaculous automatically informs me when updates are available and I directly install the updates using the "Softaculous apps Installation". Softaculous is of course part of cPanel.

I assume most of Piwigo users do the same.

I could log in my cPanel, go to PhPMyAdmin files, choose orchidsw-piwi471 go to Piwi-history file (I think that what you program is doing), click "Check All" and delete all files.
I was told by my service provider that according to you comments it is safe; however, I was told to check first with the Piwigo people, to make 100% sure that it is safe to delete the files in kiwi_history.
Doing so, I was told will not affect the kiwi_history_summary

I think this problem may be worth considering in the future by Piwigo. I am not the only one who has this problem.

George

#6 2015-07-20 12:25:54

georgeT
2012-03-18

kiwi_ = Piwi_

My mistake, Sorry.

#7 2015-07-21 11:30:44

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Hi George.

I don't understand why you want to use your cpanel access to manage your piwigo features. If you connect to your gallery with your admin account you'll be able to install any plugin you want and prune your gallery history through the piwigo's admin panel.

If not, it's the softaculous fault : It did not install your gallery correctly. My personal feeling : Softaculous is bull-shit.

Sorry but i'm in summer break now and posting from my mibile
I'll not be able to follow this topic in the next days. Anyway, it's not a prune history problem. Other team members should be able to help you.

#8 2015-07-21 23:36:27

georgeT
2012-03-18

As I said before, the files I download directly from Piwigo, as you suggested, are not ZIP files, and therefore none of them can be extracted.
Also, there is no file with instructions to set up the app correctly. If it's "Follow the instructions", than just say so.

The easiest way is for the main program to have an option for the "owner" of the Gallery to choose how mane days data should be archived. I have close to 12 million viewers/year and most view photos, that makes the size of the Archived data enormous.

Softaculous has nothing to do with it. For me, Softaculous does everything I need and cPanel helps me to manage my website properly. Others may disagree.

PS: Enjoy you holiday, there is no hurry, I have a few months to sort this problem.

#9 2015-07-22 00:15:48

georgeT
2012-03-18

After you mentioned: "If you connect to your gallery with your admin account you'll be able to install any plugin you want and prune your gallery history through the piwigo's admin panel".

That's of course a different matter all together.

Your advise from the beginning (No offence) should have been:

Go to Piwigo’s “Administration Home” page → “Plugins” → “Manage” → “Other Plugins Available”.
A list of numerous apps will appear:

Find the “Prune History” app and choose “Install” if you wish to install the app, or “Download” if you just wish to download it.

If you choose "Install", after the installation,  in the “Plugins” section (mentioned earlier), the app “Prune History" will appear.

Click on “Prune History” to open the app and view the settings. Choose the settings that suite your needs.
---------------------
I installed it, choose 7 days, and hope and pray for the best.

It is not clear what does the comment "To download the Backup file…." mean.
Does it mean that I download from the server the data into my computer, in my case quite a few Gb data? or the data will be backed up in the server? (which is done every few hours anyway).

regards

George

#10 2015-07-30 01:43:07

georgeT
2012-03-18

I installed the App, set it for 7 days and waited for the Service provider to tell me if it works or not.

Today, I received the answer:

---------------------------------
Just wanted to get in touch to let you know it looks like the History table that was causing us issues earlier is still greater than 2 million rows.

I'd recommend you check with the developer of that plugin again if you've done anything incorrectly.

Alternatively, perhaps check if it's okay to Truncate (empty) the table completely or if this will cause issues.
----------------------------------

I will not change it to 1 day to see if it makes any difference.

George

#11 2015-07-30 17:01:48

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

perhaps the best would be to disable the Piwigo history and use for instance Piwik dedicated to such tasks

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#12 2015-07-30 22:17:36

georgeT
2012-03-18

Thanks for your reply.
I am assuming that your are suggesting to go to:

Configuration --> Options -->Miscellaneous --> Save visits in History [un-Click] Simple Visitors.

I did the above and I am waiting for my Service provider to comment.

regards

Georeg

Board footer