Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » adding a trash can in the back end

#1 2015-08-12 09:01:26

andrewjs18
2014-10-10

adding a trash can in the back end

Hi,

After a recent screw up on my end where I deleted an entire album by mistake and having to go through over 12,000 photos to find the exact photos I removed, I figured it would be great to suggest adding an option in the back end where it'll put all deleted photos/albums inside a 'trash can' until it's emptied by an admin or someone with the proper permissions.  I suppose the ability to restore said photos/albums within the trash can would also need to be added.

that's my suggestion, thanks!

#2 2015-08-12 09:19:40

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: adding a trash can in the back end

Hi andrewjs18,

How did you delete your photos and albums? Were there "physical" or "virtual"? (I suppose "virtual" if I read correctly your other forum topics). Didn't you validate a confirmation checkbox before deletion?

On Piwigo.com it sometimes happen that a user accidentaly deletes albums and photos. We restore them with the last night backup.

#3 2015-08-13 06:48:18

andrewjs18
2014-10-10

Re: adding a trash can in the back end

plg wrote:

Hi andrewjs18,

How did you delete your photos and albums? Were there "physical" or "virtual"? (I suppose "virtual" if I read correctly your other forum topics). Didn't you validate a confirmation checkbox before deletion?

On Piwigo.com it sometimes happen that a user accidentaly deletes albums and photos. We restore them with the last night backup.

I deleted the album in the back end - they were virtual.  I had meant to delete a child album inside of a parent album, but instead ended up deleting the entire parent album.

I pull daily backups and I did recover the photos I deleted, but I had to download 27gb worth of photos from my backup server and sort through over 12,000 pictures to find them all.

the point is, having a trash can in the back end where deleted album/photos are initially sent can be a quick way to restore them if you make a mistake.  since albums/photos are not saved inside the /uploads folder by their album name, it'll speed up the process drastically, I believe.

I hope this helps.

•  » Requests
  •  » adding a trash can in the back end

Board footer