Announcement

#1 2016-03-14 20:09:29

Zimbandrew
Harare
2016-03-10

Syncing and FTP

There are a few questions which, if answered, would help with a process I am involved with, which is porting images from a Gallery_II set of albums to Piwigo.   This is to do with syncing to Piwigo from the /galleries folder.  As we all know the system encourages the upload of photographs to the /galleries folder and then this is moved to the gallery through a synchronization process.
What I would like to know it the character of the syncing process.  Exactly what does it do?  Can someone confirm if this is a two way synchronization – upload and download from and to the /galleries folder?
If images are updated (lets say for example that they are re-sized and FTP upload to the /galleries directory) is the newer version uploaded to the Piwigo gallery?  Is the existing file over-written?
If there has been tagging and naming of images in Piwigo by users, is any of this information erased during a synchronization?
While the answers to this may be apparent from experimentation, it may be interesting to discuss techniques.
I am already experiencing a problem with the upload of large photographs and their apparent inability to thumbnail down to size…  So I am going to reduce the sizes of offending images on the remote machine.

Andrew Field
Harare - Zimbabwe

Piwigo version:
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: http://www.bsap.org/piwigo/

#2 2016-03-14 20:18:09

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Syncing and FTP

Hello ?

The usage of the "galleries" folder is NOT encouraged in any way, it's up to you to choose if you want to use FTP upload ("old fashion") or the web uploader in the backoffice.

The syncing process DOES NOT move anything, files stay in "galleries" and will always be there, the only thing that is synchronized is the database, to reflect the files in folders in "galleries".

documentation: http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user_ … dd_picture

during sync, if you check both "Synchronize metadata" and the two checkboxes bellow then yes (of course) it will overwrite any existing metadata modified in piwigo (depends on the IPTC/EXIF config)

#3 2016-03-14 20:38:04

Zimbandrew
Harare
2016-03-10

For a huge transfer of images, it was considered the old fashioned FTP process was actually more efficient than the back-office web-uploader, and the reason for this was the need to clean up the file names and totally re-organize the album hierachy on my remote machine first.  Of course that was my prerogative.   A whole lot easier than copying and pasting 2750 image files.   
Thanks for your explanation...  so please confirm, which ever way a photograph is uploaded to the application, that photograph is store in /galleries?

#4 2016-03-14 20:42:03

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

No, web-uploaded files go in "upload"
it's in the doc

Board footer