Announcement

#1 2016-05-26 03:10:21

Knitter
Denmark
2016-05-26

Should I use Piwigo - and why?

Greetings,

Can anyone help me? I need a new CMS as the Gallery2, which I have used for many years, no longer is supported by my hosting account. So I wonder if  Piwigo is a possibility?
I use my site in the same way as this http://www.knutsen.dk/main.php?g2_itemId=121
belonging to my sister. She will probably also have to change in the not too distant future, and she dread it
I sort photos into albums and sub albums, descendants, family and species. I write the common name, scientific name, habitat and other information for each image.
When a visitor has found, for example, a hoverfly, and want to know which species it is , then he goes to my site, album Insects, flies, hoverflies, and can see pictures on folders with different hoverflies, and maybe he recognize the hoverfly, he found.
Too many websites of this kind works too bad what usability is concerned.
Also, I have a very expensive photo editing program that I use for my pictures before upload, so they should preferably not be further processed by any automatic program.
I would like to put on my own copyright watermark. I do not sell pictures, but I demand that people ask permission to use them.
And visitors can see the latest pictures.
I have tried out the demo, but it seems to lack some features, that I demand, and have some features, that I don’t want, and cannot deactivate, so is there some plugins to help me out?

Piwigo version:
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: http://

#2 2016-05-26 09:48:53

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Should I use Piwigo - and why?

Hello,
disable or hide features is much easier than creating them
if you could just enumerate the features you need and the one you may want, we might answer you proprely. But here no one is selling anything so I always recommend to test yourself ; currently Piwigo and Zenphoto are both the solutions I recommend

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2016-05-26 21:18:01

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

I used Gallery before, and then migrated to Piwigo when development stalled. They are pretty similar, and totally comparable in scope.

Since Gallery is dead, and Piwigo is alive and kicking, the choice is easy. The've knocked it up to compatibility with PHP 7, and soon perhaps also with MySQL 5.7 (in strict mode, although I use MariaDB), and I find it working without flaws. Apart from the theme, nobody could tell a difference, except for the speedier delivery.

Bear in mind that this is a community project. People do this mostly for free, and contributions from users are therefore of paramount importance. Still, you can't find a commercial package that has anything similar to offer for money.

Each and everybody would like to have features according to their peculiar wishes. Personally, I would prefer native HTML5 video rather than the clumsy VideoJS. Your mileage may vary, and it is much up to third party users to contribute.

Och eftersom du är från Danmark vill jag påpeka att detta är ett europeiskt projekt, till skillnad från amerikanska Gallery. Vive la France!

#4 2016-05-27 07:42:17

deheme
France
2014-12-12

Hello Knitter,

I have been visiting the albums you've referenced in your first post.
Frontend: I do not see any issue, be sure that you will be able to develop an equivalent setup with Piwigo, it has the flexibility needed. (Except may be the multi thumbnails small view on the right side on the photo pages). Have a look to the sample galeries and to the showcase.

Backend: Piwigo has its own specific admin panel, it has a few flaws and many strengths.
It needs some learning, nothing huge if you take it out of the box, but it is a long term investment, the results will be to your taste.

It is only my humble opinion...try it on Piwigo.com then, I'm quite sure you will ne convinced to go  either with Piwigo.com or with your own host with Piwigo.org.

Enjoy!
DéHème

Last edited by deheme (2016-05-27 07:45:06)

#5 2016-05-27 09:33:26

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

Knitter wrote:

I need a new CMS as the Gallery2, which I have used for many years, no longer is supported by my hosting account.
I have tried out the demo, but it seems to lack some features, that I demand, and have some features, that I don’t want, and cannot deactivate, so is there some plugins to help me out?

Hey Knitter, I'm in the same situation. Gallery2 was made for PHP5.2 . So when running on PHP 5.4 or 5.6 my PHP logs are full of non-fatal errors (DEPRECATED, STATIC, NOTICE). And not only that, if you want to integrate with new external software like wordpress, forums, facebook/disqus comments, new maps system ... is hard to do that when development stopped like 6 years ago.

I have tested all gallery software available on internet and I think there is nothing to the complexity of Gallery2. This is the most powerful and complex gallery CMS that you can find. But it's old and it's slow once you pass over 10.000 images.

From what I see you are not really using Gallery2 to the maximum. You are not using URL rewrite, you do not have a big community of users, you do not integrate login with other CMS software like forums/wordpress.

I see 3 peoples albums. You probably need to make Piwigo admins the other 2 users. Piwigo can do ~80% from what Gallery2 can do ... if you are admin. But also Piwigo can do nice things that Gallery2 can't do (for example I like their grouped tags plugin). For large gallerys is much faster compared to Gallery2 and take only about 20% of server CPU that Gallery2 takes.

#6 2016-05-27 09:59:17

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

So lets see what your gallery2 has:
1) Text description to gallery root album => plugin PWG Stuff => see Personal Block
2) Links in menu to other sites/pages => plugin Local Files Editor => edit you config.inc.php and add links using $conf['links'] = array ...
3) Creating other type of pages, like html pages => plugin Additional Pages
4) Album/Subalbum Breadcrumps => Piwigo/theme core
5) Recent pictures link => Piwigo/theme core. This is a little bit different from Gallery2, on Piwigo you can set a time what a recent pictures means. For example only pictures in the last 30 days. Also you gave a calendar icon, and the pictures thumbs are displayed by Year/Month/Date.
Also you have plugins (PWG Stuff => see Recent pictures block; I also think there is a plugin that disable the pictures in the last X days functionality and make recent pictures similar to Gallery2).
6) Search function => It think is similar to Gallery2, it can search in both titles, description ...

And you asking about:
7) Albums/Subalbum functionality=> Piwigo core  (in Piwigo they are called category/subcategory) Probably infinite level deepth (I have not tested more then 3 levels).
8) Title/Sumary/Descrition to photos => by default Piwigo have only Title/Descrition. use plugin Extended Description to add summary (I personally don't like it). Just better move your latin names of the species from summary to the description.
9) Watermark ... no idea. I'm not using it, but I think both Gallery2 and Piwigo have this. I put my watermark (my copyright signature) on pictures manually in Photoshop. I do not recommend you to use a CMS gallery to do this function, as it can edit your pictures to do that. If they don't edit the pictures and only put a watermark on pictures as overlay using CSS/javascript the entire functionality is stupid an it has no point.
10) Not editing your pictures ... like resize/recompress => If you are uploading websize pictures in you gallery, then just go to Administration=>Configuration=>Option=>Photosizes=> uncheck all execept Thumbs, Square and Medium ; =>Show details. increase the size to the medium . In this way Piwigo would not make a ton of derivatives to your image, except the thumbnails. And the medium size picture with be original (without any resize/jpg recompression).
By the way in Piwigo you can set sharpness when build derivatives. This is very useful because thumbnails are really losing sharpness especially when they are very small and the originals are very big. So compensating is necessary. I didn't think I have seen this future in other gallery CMS (at least not in the user options).
---
The best idea is to install the Piwigo to your site and make tests yourself. You just need to have free space, you can run both Gallery2 and Piwigo even with the same database. Use Menalto2Piwigo plugin for import.

Last edited by eliz82 (2016-05-27 10:51:34)

#7 2016-06-03 18:15:25

Knitter
Denmark
2016-05-26

Sorry for my late response. I am between hosts, so something went wrong with my mail.

I appreciate your answers, and with your help I hope to have my site up and running again soon.

Requirements of a GMS script:

I should be able to add text under thumbnails and by large pictures. And no i-frames!

I should be able to go through the big photos and see the text at the same time. (no i-frame)

I would like to be able to write keywords (not visible) to every photo, and to sort by keywords.

There should be no interaction with visitors, and no way to share photos with social media. There are copyright of my pictures, and I demand that people ask me if they want to use one of them. (I don't sell)

I would like to be able to control which photos are representing the different albums.

It seems that it is modern with one large block of images in one big hotchpotch without the ability to see what the pictures represent. I will not call that functional. I prefer to have an overview with thumbnails with text.

And I would like to be able to put colour to some of the text - green for not so common, red for rare.

@Zentalquabula Thanks for the information. I use to contribute to programmes that I like. :) Och jag pratar ochså svenska.

My site is down, so the site referred is my sister's. And I dont need the block of very smal thumbnails.

You all have given me some tips and ideas that I will work on, and present the result with a link here if I succeed.

#8 2016-06-03 20:21:42

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

You can add titles and long descriptions to images, regardless of size. You can also add EXIF information, user ratings, dimensions, dates, copyright (module). You can choose up to nine sizes to be available.

Piwigo does not use iframes.

Keywords can be used. You can sort by keyword.

You can disable user registration and just have a public gallery without comments or anything.

If you want to disable social media interaction, you need to instruct Twitter, Facebook etc in robots.txt and perhaps block them by firewall or .htaccess. However, there is no native interaction with such sites in Piwigo, but it exists as a module.

You define your own albums and subalbums.

You can use HTML style directives in description text to add color and other elements.

#9 2016-06-06 10:04:12

helmuc
Maidstone, UK
2013-05-23

hi Karin, just wanted to say - I absolutely love your squirrel photos http://www.knutsen.dk/main.php?g2_itemId=28010 !! awesome :)

all the best,
H

#10 2016-06-07 15:15:01

Knitter
Denmark
2016-05-26

@Helmuc. The site belongs to my sister, she has squirrels in her garden. She says thanks for the compliment.
My site has been down for a while.
I have some questions about editing.
1. How do I choose how many rows of thumbnails is shown on each page like I can with albums?
2. And is there something to show whether the thumbnail shows an album or a single picture.?
3. Is there something special I have to do to get EXIF data to work? The plugin seems to be active, but it doesn't show.
4. What is the link "Add to Caddie" for?

You can see the results of my efforts till now here http://soejberg.com/piwigo/

#11 2016-06-07 21:42:23

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

Well, see how much faster it is!

Install the plugin "LocalFiles Editor" and edit the local config.

Or edit local/config/config.inc.php manually in a shell or via ftp.

For Exif, you can add parameters as you wish. I have the following:

Code:

$conf['show_exif_fields'] = array(
  'Make',
  'Model',
  'DateTimeOriginal',
  'ExposureTime',
  'ShutterSpeedValue',
  'ApertureValue',
  'COMPUTED;ApertureFNumber',
  'SubjectDistance',
  'FocalLength',
  'ISOSpeedRatings',
  'Copyright'
);

The Exif is shown as a tab on the bottom of your page. How it shows is theme dependent.

For setting number of photos, go to the administration area, and choose Configuration, Options and then the tab Guest settings. Choose the number of photos per page you want.

Caddie is a temporary scrapbook of objects. Better to create albums and upload to them directly. Then you can batch manage albums (or what you have in the caddie).

Poke around this site for other configuration options.

#12 2016-06-08 19:48:55

Knitter
Denmark
2016-05-26

"Install the plugin "LocalFiles Editor" and edit the local config.

Or edit local/config/config.inc.php manually in a shell or via ftp."

See the screenshot.

"For setting number of photos, go to the administration area, and choose Configuration, Options and then the tab Guest settings. Choose the number of photos per page you want."

I did, but with no effect.

Exif View, Language Switch and Tag to Keyword are installed, but does not show.

#13 2016-06-08 20:18:48

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

It's not mandatory to have an admin page for plugins But for sure I hate that too
Then about exif, read http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user_ … onf_locale and don't forget to set the use_exif_mapping too

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#14 2016-06-17 02:56:52

Knitter
Denmark
2016-05-26

I tried to move some pictures from one album to another, but it doesn't work.
I happened to take a screenshot of a message that only showed for a split sec.
http://soejberg.com/index.php?/category/31/start-15  the two larvae don't belong there.
What can I do about it?

And I have more problems:

The color tag doesn't work. http://soejberg.com/index.php?/category/244

I cannot get more than three rows of picture thumbnails. I would like to have as many pics as I have album thumbnails
http://soejberg.com/index.php?/category/186
http://soejberg.com/index.php?/category/78

I have installed the plugin Tag To Keyword, but it doesn't work.

And I'm not given the choise to sort by keywords.

Thanks to Zentalquabula my EXIF works just fine.

#15 2016-06-18 13:40:32

Knitter
Denmark
2016-05-26

I have made a better screenshot wheree you can read the error message. It only shows for a split sec.
It says:
Piwigo Administration
Redirection
Click here if your browser does not automatically send you on.

Board footer