Announcement

#1 2016-12-26 18:47:08

ClintDanbury
2016-12-20

Combining Multiple Installations

I have been experimenting with Piwigo several times over the past several months.

I have about five different installation on my host, in various subdirectories. It is highly disorganized.

I am now uploading a lot of photographs to my site; I'm guessing twenty thousand.

I want to reorganize these so that I can administer all of them and coordinate all of them in well defined folders and albums.

Am I going to have to delete them and upload the pics all over again a second time ?

I checked the "Docs" tab here on Piwigo and didn't see the word "Combine" or "Combination".

Can someone point me to a place to read about doing this ?

===================ENVIRONMENT==============
Piwigo version: 2.8.3
PHP version: PHP: 5.5.36  [2016-12-20 16:27:32]
MySQL version: MySQL: 5.5.45-cll-lve [2016-12-20 16:27:32]
Piwigo URL: http://clintdanbury.info/pics/leaves/

#2 2016-12-27 04:15:23

reddn
DC, USA
2015-09-29

Re: Combining Multiple Installations

Have your pictures already been tagged, structured with, or put in virtual albums in piwigo?

There is a 'synchronize' option, which imports images that are in the 'galleries' folder that were put there manually (manual copied/moved, not from that piwigo's upload interface).  As for a builtin combining feature, I've never seen one, but you never know.

If you have a bunch of stuff already tagged, albumed (virtual). your best bet is to learn how to script and do direct database minipulation.  Most people will caution that you should do complete backups of both the database and files before you start screwing with stuff, just in case.

Incase you did not know, Piwigo Albums (not virtual or associative) are directory based, so if you were to just copy the other installations 'galleries' content over and synchronize, at least the album structure will remain when synchronized.

Just as a FYI: I never use the builtin upload feature, and solely add images via manual copy to the album folder (mine are automated via other means) and then synchronize to add the files to piwigo.  I currently have 20924 pics, plus more when ever the wife gives me her other sd cards.  Piwigo is as strong as your database can handle.

Last edited by reddn (2016-12-27 08:22:51)

#3 2016-12-27 04:37:54

reddn
DC, USA
2015-09-29

I looked at your leaves install.  Do you manually change the filenames?

#4 2016-12-27 10:13:24

ClintDanbury
2016-12-20

reddn wrote:

Have your pictures already been tagged, structured with, or put in virtual albums in piwigo?

At this moment, I don't understand the words "tagged", "structured with" and "virtual albums".

The photos are all JPG files, generally about a megabyte in size (variance of about 20 or 30 percent) and are pretty much in subdirectories which are grouped more or less according to purpose.

reddn wrote:

There is a 'synchronize' option, which imports images that are in the 'galleries' folder that were put there manually (manual copied/moved, not from that piwigo's upload interface).  As for a builtin combining feature, I've never seen one, but you never know.

I really need to grasp that sync biz.  Any And All advice from you or anyone else reading is welcome and invited

reddn wrote:

If you have a bunch of stuff already tagged, albumed (virtual). your best bet is to learn how to script and do direct database minipulation.  Most people will caution that you should do complete backups of both the database and files before you start screwing with stuff, just in case.

Got'cha; that's not going to happen today.

reddn wrote:

Incase you did not know, Piwigo Albums (not virtual or associative) are directory based, so if you were to just copy the other installations 'galleries' content over and synchronize, at least the album structure will remain when synchronized.

Now **THIS** is relevant to my interests ! Yes ! Thank you.

Do I infer that I can just use the Linux move ("mv") command, then sync, then poof, the new sub-albums will be in the structure with the rest ?

In fact, if I understand it, with cPanel, I think I can drag and drop.

reddn wrote:

Just as a FYI: I never use the builtin upload feature, and solely add images via manual copy to the album folder (mine are automated via other means) and then synchronize to add the files to piwigo.  I currently have 20924 pics, plus more when ever the wife gives me her other sd cards.  Piwigo is as strong as your database can handle.

Yes, I think I've learned some limits like this...

-+- Fifty pics ? Use the HTML upload of Piwigo; click click and 10 minutes later you have your album

-+- Five hundred pics ? FTP time.

reddn wrote:

Goodness no; I don't have that many more years to live.

This is the tool I've been using...

Bulk Rename Utility

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

It's a Freebie they give away to sell their other file flipping stuff.

On their website they claim, "...Bulk Rename Utility is an easy to use file rename program..."

My own learning curve with that package was something like three or four hours; but worth it.

#5 2016-12-27 21:56:37

reddn
DC, USA
2015-09-29

ClintDanbury wrote:

ClintDanbury wrote:

reddn wrote:

At this moment, I don't understand the words "tagged", "structured with" and "virtual albums".

The photos are all JPG files, generally about a megabyte in size (variance of about 20 or 30 percent) and are pretty much in subdirectories which are grouped more or less according to purpose.

reddn wrote:

I really need to grasp that sync biz.  Any And All advice from you or anyone else reading is welcome and invited

reddn wrote:

Got'cha; that's not going to happen today.

reddn wrote:

Now **THIS** is relevant to my interests ! Yes ! Thank you.

Do I infer that I can just use the Linux move ("mv") command, then sync, then poof, the new sub-albums will be in the structure with the rest ?

In fact, if I understand it, with cPanel, I think I can drag and drop.

--
Yes, the mv command would work.  Here is a howto http://superuser.com/questions/273254/m … y-in-linux . Question, I have not used FTP to upload pictures.  After you upload your pictures via FTP do you have to synchronize after so the pictures will show up?

I have not used cPanel, so I can not help you with that.  Learning some linux commands or some scripting is always a good idea.  I'm using php as a general scripting language, and it helps me become better at creating php for webpages. 

ClintDanbury wrote:

reddn wrote:

Yes, I think I've learned some limits like this...

-+- Fifty pics ? Use the HTML upload of Piwigo; click click and 10 minutes later you have your album

-+- Five hundred pics ? FTP time.

reddn wrote:

Goodness no; I don't have that many more years to live.

This is the tool I've been using...

Bulk Rename Utility

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

It's a Freebie they give away to sell their other file flipping stuff.

On their website they claim, "...Bulk Rename Utility is an easy to use file rename program..."

My own learning curve with that package was something like three or four hours; but worth it.

Last edited by reddn (2016-12-31 13:43:23)

Board footer