2019-04-21

Thumbnails per page

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

(Here your message)

Piwigo version: 2.9.4
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: http://vamotorrad.com/album

How do I control the number of thumbnails on an album page?

I know this is an old subject and there is a LOT of obsolete discussion floating around on the internet about it, but everything I have read (most of which is about 8 years old) doesn't seem to apply. In fact even here on the Piwigo site there is a lot of obsolete stuff. The main page has a "Release notes 1.8" link from 2011 and even the available tags for this forum post are 2.1.6 and 2.2, whereas I'm currently being prompted to move from 2.9.4 to 2.9.5.

On my screen I have thumbnails in about 25% of the available space and the rest is blank, yet I have pagination. This just looks silly.

Back in 2011 people were discussing moving from rows x columns to an absolute number of images per page. What happened to all of that? And if I'm missing something obvious, is it covered in the manual? I looked but didn't find it.

I'm using the Clear theme.

#2 2019-04-24 13:04:07

AntonLargiader
2019-04-21

Re: Thumbnails per page

Thumbnails per page are controlled by the nb_image_page setting in the pg_user_infos table. So far I have no idea how this gets set or what can change it, but changing the values from 15 to 40 (there was one row for the Webmaster user and one for Guest) gave a much better appearance with 40 thumbnails per page.

It looks like the past change to this (around 2011) replaced the setting with either 15 or the product of the existing 'images per line' and 'lines per page' settings. I haven't explored this much but so far there doesn't seem to be anything else that will modify this value.

Hopefully some additional knowledge about this setting will be made available by someone who knows more than I do.

#3 2019-04-24 18:24:19

AntonLargiader
2019-04-21

Found it.

- Users
- Manage
- Hover over the user and click Edit.

So you set the default board behavior by customizing the settings for the Guest user. Not the most intuitive for me, but I can understand how it got there.

FWIW the text in the template file indicates a range of 1~100 but the slider allows the value to be set as high as 300.

Last edited by AntonLargiader (2019-04-24 18:30:55)

#4 2019-05-25 20:11:27

kozmob
2012-01-14

Thanks Anton. This doesn't work for me. I crank it up to 50 images, update the user, refresh, but still get the 15 thumbnails per page.  Does it depend on the theme that's being used? I'm using stripped_rsponsive theme.

#5 2019-05-25 21:10:15

EdwinKort
Translation Team
Rhoon, the Netherlands
1970-01-01

AntonLargiader wrote:

Found it.

- Users
- Manage
- Hover over the user and click Edit.

So you set the default board behavior by customizing the settings for the Guest user. Not the most intuitive for me, but I can understand how it got there.

FWIW the text in the template file indicates a range of 1~100 but the slider allows the value to be set as high as 300.

Thanks. Have been looking for this ever since I reinstalled Piwigo.

My Gallery
Hosted with: Surpass Hosting since 2004

#6 2019-05-26 02:50:03

AntonLargiader
2019-04-21

kozmob wrote:

Thanks Anton. This doesn't work for me. I crank it up to 50 images, update the user, refresh, but still get the 15 thumbnails per page.  Does it depend on the theme that's being used? I'm using stripped_rsponsive theme.

I don't know about other themes. Try the "nb_image_page setting in the pg_user_infos table" adjustment.

I like Piwigo but I have to say I'm amazed at how poorly documented it is, given its popularity. Thumbnails per page is a pretty important tool for making a gallery look nice, and here were are, a few users having to stumble around in the dark figuring this out with varying degrees of success.

#7 2019-05-26 06:59:17

kozmob
2012-01-14

Thanks for the lead. Where is and how do I edit

AntonLargiader wrote:

the "nb_image_page setting in the pg_user_infos table" adjustment

?

#8 2019-05-26 12:09:09

AntonLargiader
2019-04-21

kozmob wrote:

Thanks for the lead. Where is and how do I edit

AntonLargiader wrote:

the "nb_image_page setting in the pg_user_infos table" adjustment

?

It’s a table. MySQL. You need access to the database that Piwigo uses.

#9 2020-02-21 14:14:08

Muug
2014-09-02

@Anton: BIG THANK YOU. It's a stupid place though. It should be under "configuration".

@kozmob: don't forget you're logged in as admin, so if you want to see the difference you've got to do the same for the admin, or you've got to logoff, or you've got to open another browser to check the behaviour under the guest user.

cheers,

Muug.

#10 2020-07-05 23:17:54

aircrewremembered
2020-07-05

Just in case this is of use to someone:

I have been trying to set the default behaviour so an ordinary (non Admin) user without a username sees the number of thumbnails that I set as per the instructions above.

These instructions work for me as an Admin but they did not result in a casual user without a username. He only ever saw 15 thumbs in 2 rows.

The trick is to repeat the instructions for the user called 'guest'.

Board footer