Announcement

#1 2020-02-26 09:32:43

taz
2019-05-09

Documentation? Question about synchronize files structure with databas

Hi everyone! Must say first that this is a great gallery! I got suprised by the mobile version of the page that i did not know existed until i tried the gallery from my phone :D

Now.. Some questions.. Trying to set the gallery up i noticed there is not much documentation at all that i could find. Am i looking in the wrong places? I searched for instructions for what codepage to set up for the database.. I used UTF8 i hope thats correct..

Also.. The feature called "synchronize files structure with database".. What exactly is that doing? When adding photos and albums, are they not put into the database then?

What is the difference of syncronizing directories only vs directories + files? The checkboxes, what do they do? "display maximal information" for example.. I'm new to this album and tried to search the forums for answers but seems everyone seem to know everything already... Am i stupid? :D :D

Piwigo version: 2.10.1
Operating system: Linux
PHP version: 7.2.24
MySQL version: 5.7.29
Graphics Library: ImageMagick 6.9.7-4

Last edited by taz (2020-02-26 10:17:47)

#2 2020-02-27 17:24:51

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Documentation? Question about synchronize files structure with databas

This is community supported software. For example, I thought the metadata documentation needed work, so I wrote it.

taz wrote:

When adding photos and albums, are they not put into the database then?

That depends what you mean by "adding". When you add photos you will that there are several tabs with different methods.

taz wrote:

What is the difference of syncronizing directories only vs directories + files?

You see that large "?" in the corner?

taz wrote:

The checkboxes, what do they do? "display maximal information" for example..

Try it. Displaying information can't hurt.

#3 2020-02-28 16:56:35

taz
2019-05-09

executive wrote:

This is community supported software. For example, I thought the metadata documentation needed work, so I wrote it.

A good idea is when a new function is added, document it! :)

---

taz wrote:

When adding photos and albums, are they not put into the database then?

executive wrote:

That depends what you mean by "adding". When you add photos you will that there are several tabs with different methods.

I'm referring to adding photos via the "Web Form". So what I'm trying to figure out is when I add photos via the web form, is more actions needed after that? I'm referring to "synchronize file structure with database" and if i need to run that when i have added new photos?

---

taz wrote:

What is the difference of syncronizing directories only vs directories + files?

executive wrote:

You see that large "?" in the corner?

I did not expect two different "?".. I only clicked one of them, but now i see that there is infact a second one that had some helpful text in it compared with the other one! :) But it still does not describe what it's actually used for or if i need to do it every time i add a new photo or not.. It basically says the same thing as the text in the synchronize page..

Updating your directories tree with the album tree? I mean there is only one tree, right? Thats the album tree? All the files from the webform is put into one single directory.... I don't get it :(

--------------------
There are two different types of synchronisation:

directories/files
file metadata
Synchronising directories and files is about updating your directories tree with the album tree in the database. Synchronising file metadata is about updating photo information, such as filesize, dimensions in pixels, EXIF or IPTC information, in the database.

When synchronising your uploads with your gallery you must first synchronise directories and files.

The synchronisation process may take a long time (depending on server load and the number of elements to manage) so it is possible to do it album by album.
----------------------

Last edited by taz (2020-02-28 16:59:16)

#4 2020-02-28 17:07:22

taz
2019-05-09

Ok i figured it out.. So Synchronize is when you upload a file structure to the server. I wish i had known that from the beginning :D

Guess i have to delete the 2000 photos i uploaded and redo it again. File structure is way better for me than have all my uploaded files via the Web Form be put in one upload folder and then renamed.. I dont want that :) Good thing is that i did not upload all 30000 photos at once ;)

That all you had to tell me.. "Synchronize is when you upload files with a file structrue, not using the web form" or something like that... :)

Last edited by taz (2020-02-28 17:08:10)

#5 2020-02-29 09:50:54

taz
2019-05-09

wow.. i love this album :D Soo easy to add content :)

#6 2020-02-29 16:20:17

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

taz wrote:

That all you had to tell me.. "Synchronize is when you upload files with a file structrue, not using the web form" or something like that... :)

You asked for documentation, well, read it.
https://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user … ure#by_ftp

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

Board footer